Roast Brock McLean's refusal to shake the Great Man's hand before the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

I also remember David Neitz snubbing Nick Maxwell. Also got plenty of coverage.

He did it to Heath James on a rare occasion when Heath took the field at Fullback no less. I don't have an issue with players doing it but seems they are trying too hard to have a steely resolve and just end up looking unsportsman like.

The sort of thing that makes the Aussie cricket team so unappealing but meh crickets almost over and at least with footy you can get a better square up than glaring after a bouncer.

I gotta admit I never always shook my opponents hand before a game, depends who they were though as you get to know players from other teams.Never refused one though, I used to always greet my opponent with a shoulder to his chest and a bit of push and shove if I was manning him, or stand on his toes, let a few elbows go if he was manning me, accidently of course and it went both ways, always shook after the game then had a beer with them and brag to each other how good we were. No big deal what that spud Brock did, but you could see the effort in his face when ignoring Kirks hand, it seemed to actually bother him more than it did Kirk.

Didn't it happen with Wayne Carey at some stage?

Carey was well known for refusing to shake hands before a match.

It's nothing new, but those pesky extra cameras around the grounds these days show all. I think the fans get more upset by this stuff than the players ever do (which is mostly true of everything else too, I guess).

...... it seemed to actually bother him more than it did Kirk.

You're right there. I've been watching the replay trying to read Kirk's lips for his reply. I'm not sure if he says "Bad Karma to you" or "Well, f..k ya then"

Pllleeeeeaaase people!

There is no need to shake anyone's hand before the game. You are there to beat them not make friends.

Shaking hands is for after the game.

McLean wasn't nasty or anything, so fair enough to refuse until after the game, where he made an effort to shake hands with Kirk.

Pllleeeeeaaase people!

There is no need to shake anyone's hand before the game. You are there to beat them not make friends.

Shaking hands is for after the game.

McLean wasn't nasty or anything, so fair enough to refuse until after the game, where he made an effort to shake hands with Kirk.

There's a difference between not offering to shake somebody's hand (reasonable in many circumstances) and actively refusing to shake an offered hand. If Kirk hadn't offered his hand, then that would be fine, but if a hand is offered, you shake it.

There's a difference between not offering to shake somebody's hand (reasonable in many circumstances) and actively refusing to shake an offered hand. If Kirk hadn't offered his hand, then that would be fine, but if a hand is offered, you shake it.

No you don't, if you choose not to.

Sorry, but you simply do not have to shake any competitors hand before the game.

And if you choose not to, when offered, it's very rude. If you don't offer, that's absolutely fine, but when a hand is offered, it's rude not to shake it, whatever the situation.

It's definately rude, considering how universally respected and admired Brett Kirk is. McLean is in no shape or form to act arrogant like that. And at the end of the game, it was Kirk that chased up McLean for the hand-shake, if McLean had any sort of decency, it would have been him, chasing up Kirk. That's how much class Kirky has.

It's definately rude, considering how universally respected and admired Brett Kirk is. McLean is in no shape or form to act arrogant like that. And at the end of the game, it was Kirk that chased up McLean for the hand-shake, if McLean had any sort of decency, it would have been him, chasing up Kirk. That's how much class Kirky has.

Who cares that it was Kirk? Who it was shouldn't matter. It would be rude if it was a VFL top-up player at an intraclub match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back