Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its bloody hard to make a grand final Jmac. I'd take 1 premiership in the next 7 years in a heartbeat. We need to strike now though because our midfield is aging and we don't have 20 year old Pendles Beams and Sidebottoms coming through.
Getting bundled out by 2 interstate teams the past 2 years at our home ground just adds to the curse the Pies seem to have with flags. 2 enormous opportunities gone. :(

Yes I’d think having completed a Uni degree and negotiating a new contract are mutually exclusive.
I actually think there would be a bit of a relationship. To me, the guys most likely to sign for unders are the happy go lucky types, who live in the moment. They're also the least likely to have degrees. Sidebottom comes to mind. No idea if Steele has a degree, but I'd be betting he doesn't.

Basically, I think JDG is more likely than Moore to sign for unders.

In my mind that makes him the most valuable player in the league.

He is a very good ruckman, but I would trade him for Bontempelli or Cripps if I had a sound ruckman to replace him.

I think we prove that having a dominant ruckman is of lesser value if you don’t have the midfield to take advantage of it. Replace Grundy with Cripps and I believe we are a better unit overall, provided we have a solid replacement for Grundy.

I actually think there would be a bit of a relationship. To me, the guys most likely to sign for unders are the happy go lucky types, who live in the moment. They're also the least likely to have degrees. Sidebottom comes to mind. No idea if Steele has a degree, but I'd be betting he doesn't.

I agree, Jordy is happy at the club and accepted well unders the last time. Moore haggled a bit but in the end got a relatively modest contract because he 'outsmarted' himself.

De Goey will not leave Collingwood.

Snowflakes chance in hell.

Mateship is the most important thing to him.. the rest of the s**t he'll just leave to his manager to sort out.. and when the time is right.. he'll just say.. hand it over re.. where do I sign.

He is a very good ruckman, but I would trade him for Bontempelli or Cripps if I had a sound ruckman to replace him.

I think we prove that having a dominant ruckman is of lesser value if you don’t have the midfield to take advantage of it. Replace Grundy with Cripps and I believe we are a better unit overall.
Cripps is the only bloke in the league I'd consider trading Grundy for. I wouldn't do it though, because I view him as heart and soul.

I agree that we'd improve if we got Cripps and a solid ruckman for Grundy, but it'd cost more in both salary and trade, so it's not really relevant to whether we've overpaid.

Last edited:

Mateship is the most important thing to him.. the rest of the s**t he'll just leave to his manager to sort out.. and when the time is right.. he'll just say.. hand it over re.. where do I sign.
Totally agree, Moore much more likely to leave than him. Jordy will stay 100%

I read it differently. To me, that says Darcy is already preparing for life after footy, thus he's more likely to push the contract size.
I agree with this but he did say in an interview on radio that while he's enjoyed uni, especially things like the international students, the course itself has not inspired him to consider finishing footy anytime soon. Bucks did say before the finals that Moore is excited about the rest of his career, but also life after football. Footy is less likely to be all-consuming to him than Jordy but he still gives off vibes that he wants to forget a decent career. I know Jordy's old man is also carefree and getting a degree etc. wasn't a big priority. Darcy comes from a family of high achievers in contrast.

Grundy also likes his uni but the 7 year contract now sets him up for life and he can finish his degree at his leisure and maybe start a family now.

99%. I don’t think he'll say re. Agree with the rest of it.

I still have De Goey and Moore as our 2 best.. the Grundog 3rd or thereabouts.. I think what the Grundog does.. he finds easy.. I want the coaching staff to make it harder for him.. eg.. get in spots to hault opposition attacks.. and in dangerous spots up forward to hurt the opposition on the scoreboard. More than capable. Don't want him following up his ruck work as much as he has been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still have De Goey and Moore as our 2 best.. the Grundog 3rd or thereabouts.. I think what the Grundog does.. he finds easy.. I want the coaching staff to make it harder for him.. eg.. get in spots to hault opposition attacks.. and in dangerous spots up forward to hurt the opposition on the scoreboard. More than capable. Don't want him following up his ruck work as much as he has been.

The thing with Grundy is that he's still got a heap of development left in him. His marking and tap work will continue to improve over the life of his contract. Thus resulting in him being able to do more of the things that you want him to.

The thing with Grundy is that he's still got a heap of development left in him. His marking and tap work will continue to improve over the life of his contract. Thus resulting in him being able to do more of the things that you want him to.
Like go forward and clunk big contested marks when we need a goal like Gawn does. Although Brodie's goal kicking is on another level to Maxys shanks.

If serviceable ruckmen can negate a top notch ruckman then it doesn’t matter. Why pay top dollar for a ruck who can be negated but players on much less coin. That I think is the argument.
Grundy’s influence in ruck contests wasn’t negated, it was his work around the ground because he was being tagged. Your argument is akin to saying a star mid is pointless because he might get tagged out of a game every now and then.

For overall team cohesion.. he needs to step back a bit.. and allow others in with more pace and skill.. he's kicked some great goals over the yrs.. we can use him more as a weapon.. one thing to follow up your ruck work with your head down.. another thing to lift your cranium up and have a look around ya.. size it all up.. and get in those spots that can cause a lot of damage..

If serviceable ruckmen can negate a top notch ruckman then it doesn’t matter. Why pay top dollar for a ruck who can be negated but players on much less coin. That I think is the argument.

that would apply to any mid as well though wouldn't it? I mean if Greenwood a serviceable mid, can negate a top notch mid like Selwood...

I think the argument made by Ryan is more along the lines of: the salary cap is limited, you can only afford to invest in 4 or 5 guns to be supported by 20 decent players. It's better that those guns are midfielders and key position players, they are more valuable than rucks. You can win a flag with average rucks (Nankervis, Vardy and Lycett), so dont waste your money investing in gun rucks (Gawn, Grundy) invest it in gun mids and KPP.

It's not a terrible idea, it's worthy of discussion, but the evidence to support it is weak. The inability of Melbourne to win in 2018 might support his argument, Id imagine Gawn has a very big salary, but Collingwood's 2018 failure doesn't support it. Grundy was not earning gun player money in 2018. Our inability to attract a gun KPF, was more about blowing a million on Wells and Mayne. Id also be very interested to know how much Nic Nat was earning in 2018. Im guessing he was taking up more of the salary cap than Grundy, but that didn't prevent the Eagles from building a well balanced premiership team.

For overall team cohesion.. he needs to step back a bit.. and allow others in with more pace and skill.. he's kicked some great goals over the yrs.. we can use him more as a weapon.. one thing to follow up your ruck work with your head down.. another thing to lift your cranium up and have a look around ya.. size it all up.. and get in those spots that can cause a lot of damage..
I just don't think we have good enough clearance mids to allow it. If you took Grundy's follow up work out of the equation, we'd be truly woeful around stoppage.

I just don't think we have good enough clearance mids to allow it. If you took Grundy's follow up work out of the equation, we'd be truly woeful around stoppage.

Well say we are woeful around the stoppage for arguments sake.. using Grundy as duck tape for repairs is not gonna get us very far.. I'd rather be exposed.. address the issue.. and get it right.. can't get it right? Well we're f.. simple as that. Not good enough.

Hence why Sier and Jordy need to be in there at centre bounces. DeGoey is an absolute beast at centre bounces, then drift forward.
Agree totally with JDG. It really annoys me that they don't often use JDG even in forward line stoppages.

I'm a bit more skeptical about Sier. Has all the tools, but he doesn't hunt the footy.

Like go forward and clunk big contested marks when we need a goal like Gawn does. Although Brodie's goal kicking is on another level to Maxys shanks.

Problem is Grundy Barley play Forward so that makes it hard for him to do that

Agree totally with JDG. It really annoys me that they don't often use JDG even in forward line stoppages.

I'm a bit more skeptical about Sier. Has all the tools, but he doesn't hunt the footy.
Hopefully the pennys has dropped with Sier. I remember West Coast game over there last year, DeGoey won a stack of centre clearences, and then the massive 50/50 ball in the middle that set up the winning goal. Ill be praying for his hammys this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back