Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
Grundy will get the money he wants from the Pies. Off the books next year will be Reid, Varcoe, Wells, Goldsack, Murray. I think players like Mayne, Pendles and Sidey will take less money in their next deals in 2020 and "21.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Grundy will get the money he wants from the Pies. Off the books next year will be Reid, Varcoe, Wells, Goldsack, Murray. I think players like Mayne, Pendles and Sidey will take less money in their next deals in 2020 and "21.
Nah mate, haven’t you heard? He’s gone and already told bucks. That’s what some peanut was feeding last night. :drunk:

I rate Grundy highly as a ruck, I just don't think he's the consistent world beater that he's made out to be. What sets him apart from other rucks is his clearance and link-up work and he's become a good mark too but his tap to advantage work isn't better than the likes of Gawn, Goldstein, Naitanui and Kreuzer to name a few

IF we did not have Grundy we won't even be in the Top 8

The way we wete getting physically smashed around the contest, i would have put Moore, Cox or Roughhead into the ruck and used Grundy as an inside mid.
Need De Goey to go into the Midflield he would add Grunt

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
IF we did not have Grundy we won't even be in the Top 8
I don't believe in that one bit. If it were to be true, it wouldn't because we were missing Grundy's work, it would be because we'd have most likely taken Roughead out of full-back to compensate. Grundy's footy is very good but he is not Collingwood.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we got away with paying less then 1 million per season we'd be making out like bandits unfortunately I dont think brodie is that silly.

The question is though just how much cash is he willing to sacrifice for a long term deal where he wants to be. Could that be under $1m a year? Does it mean a solid 7 years or does it mean 6 with options for a 7th and/or 8th? Only Grundy would know.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
2 games ago he was dominated by the best ruckman in the game. How is he the best player? There is a massive overrating of this guy around here, and in the media.

He is the second best ruckman in the comp and probably in the top 10 players.

That low hey...

I'm not sure the stats bare out what you suggest in terms of the ruck comparison. Gawn beat him the other day but on the year as a whole I think there is bugger all in it. Gawn slightly higher hitouts to advantage (Gawn 35% - Grundy 29%), hitout % win (59-55), and higher kick-handball ratio.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Grundy has been my favourite since his first game but I refuse to buy into the "best player in the comp" hype. He's fantastic at what he does but there's still room for improvement before he's a genuine #1. There's still a lot of weak taps to disadvantage and his disposals are often blind and not directly to a teammate. Perhaps it's because he's so unique that there's an unbeatable aura surrounding him but I don't consider him one of the best players in the comp. In the age of stats and SuperCoach scores being what majority of footy fans like to use to analyse games and performances, I reckon his numbers often appear greater than what he really produces.

Pretty much this. Who people rate as their "best" player will always be such a subjective thing and certainly not immune to bias. Not sure there are too many rights of wrongs in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thefly38

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal , LA Clippers , Seattle SH
If he looks like leaving I think they should trade him this year I would want an answer this year if he is in or out and maximise a return

Feb 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Chicago Blackhawks
Throw the sink at him. No one else on the list has the kind of impact on a game that he does. I'd doubt we'd be top 8 without him.

Go Woods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Herald Sun have reported a deal on the table around $1m for 2 years , but Brodes wants 6-7 year deal at next contract.
And he should get his 6-7 years, will go down as one our greatest ruckman of all time if he plays out his career at Pies. I believe Brodie would inform the club pretty early on if he was intent on moving back to SA. Can’t see this ending up unresolved by end of 2020 season.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
He may well be going but we know he's not the type of guy to tell Bucks and let it affect his or the team's performance.
So he’s a liar?
I would have thought he was the type to tell the coach and club so that they could start planning for trades and drafting.
To think he would act to deceive the club would lower him in my opinion. Much rather he do right by the coach and club.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
And he should get his 6-7 years, will go down as one our greatest ruckman of all time if he plays out his career at Pies. I believe Brodie would inform the club pretty early on if he was intent on moving back to SA. Can’t see this ending up unresolved by end of 2020 season.
Bah.
Not even the best ruckman in in 2019.
And no, Gawne hasn’t overtaken him.

May 5, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
hope that list is right mate. We have carried way to many long term injured players for years. i would add Elliott to that list as well unless hes on a very small salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back