Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you unhappy with the length of the contract?

I am ambivalent. I don’t know the dollars or contractual terms therefore cannot assess the full cost and risks involved.

I think Grundy is an exceptional player and glad we retained him. I just don’t think losing him would have necessarily been the end of the world. If fact it may have made us stronger if the picks and dollars were used to acquire a solid ruckman and another A lister.

Retaining Grundy only improves our changes of a flag if it doesn’t result in an overall drop in the quality of the entire list.

The talk of 7yrs worried me last year and I was against it.
Now that it’s done, I’m glad we kept him, (too bad if I’m not 😊).
He’s more than our ruckman.
He’s a massive part of the culture and our spiritual leader.
His dedication to improvement will and does inspire others IMO.

He probably the Biggest Reason why we nearly won the Flag last year and Lost a Close PF this year. Can't see us doign that without Grundy.

7 year deals are coming more Common thanks to Free Agency

Yes so it makes no sense arguing how important it is to have your best player in a particular position on the ground.

Of Grundy, JDG and Moore, there is nothing to suggest today that Grundy shouldn’t be on the largest contract.

Right now we know the length of the contract but we don’t know the particulars nor do we know how much he is actually getting paid. Initially it was reported he was happy with the $$ on offer which seemed to be around $850k pa. It was just the term. If he is getting less that $1m pa he is a bargain when you consider all the new contracts for the best players in the game over the past 12 months.

If it is $850k pa over 7 years and other terms acceptable I would sign that if I was the club. I don’t have a problem with giving Grundy a 7 year deal, but we don’t know the other terms of the contract to know the true cost and risks to the club.

I don’t have a problem with the signing based on the limited information we have. Just don’t think Grundy was indispensably so hope we haven’t taken too big a risk that ends up biting us on the arse.

Last edited:

If it is $850k pa over 7 years and other terms acceptable I would sign that if I was the club. I don’t have a problem with giving Grundy a 7 year deal, but we don’t no the other terms of the contract to no the true cost and risks to the club.

I don’t have a problem with the signing based on the limited information we have. Just don’t think Grundy was indispensably so hope we haven’t taken too big a risk that ends up biting us on the arse.

I doubt the Club would Commited List Sucide to keep Grundy and I doubt Grundy would make the Club to make a Too Big of a Commitment.

Going from what he has Said. The length of Contract was more important then the $$$$$

I doubt the Club would Commited List Sucide to keep Grundy and I doubt Grundy would make the Club to make a Too Big of a Commitment.

Going from what he has Said. The length of Contract was more important then the $$$$$

We don’t know hence my ambivalence. But life has taught me it is often silly to assume. Assumption often prove to be wrong in the end.

The following would have had input / been consulted to a greater / lesser extent on Grundy's deal:

List Manager
Head of Football
Head Coach
CEO
Board (given size of deal, they prob had final sign off)

No doubt there was discussion, assessment of risk(s), argy bargy backwards and forwards with Grundy's mngt etc etc. Maybe not all Cwood people agreed 100% with the end result.
However, surely the club must think it has done the right thing. Not sure any BF poster knows the exact year by year details. Those who insist they know better than the collective input of the club here are having a bit of a lend of themselves, but go ahead this is Cwood in January!

The papers are saying it is at least 1 mil but when it was first announced I heard some talk that when we compromised on years that Grundy was happy to accept less annually. And look Grundy said yesterday that he is aware of our list management issues.

This is great news for Brodie and Collingwood.
My only concern is he needs a back up Ruckman to support him.
With Mason being injured in 2019 Grundy had the support of Reid and Roughhead.
Just thinking of the work load Grundy performs week in week out.
Did you miss the trade period....

The papers are saying it is at least 1 mil but when it was first announced I heard some talk that when we compromised on years that Grundy was happy to accept less annually. And look Grundy said yesterday that he is aware of our list management issues.

To be honest, even if it was 1 mil a season, it isn't that hard to fit it in or keep the players you want. You just need to be creative in the years you spend 105% and the ones you dial it back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The talk of 7yrs worried me last year and I was against it.
Now that it’s done, I’m glad we kept him, (too bad if I’m not 😊).
He’s more than our ruckman.
He’s a massive part of the culture and our spiritual leader.
His dedication to improvement will and does inspire others IMO.

Couldve got rid of him saved money and got mummy for 3 one year contracts to improve our culture

Always happy to have a good player locked in.
But I look at Sydney and the Franklin recruitment. They capitalised early but have suffered in recruitment and retainment since.
We need to win one or two Premierships NOW as this will be hurting us in four or five years,

Apples and oranges. Franklin was older, on a longer deal and with some injury/personal issues when he signed his deal. Brodies will finish 3 years earlier and he has proven pretty durable with a solid character. The length for me isn't the risk so much as what we pay in years 6 and 7. I'd love to know that. I hope it's on a reducing scale by then.

Always happy to have a good player locked in.
But I look at Sydney and the Franklin recruitment. They capitalised early but have suffered in recruitment and retainment since.
We need to win one or two Premierships NOW as this will be hurting us in four or five years,
Sydney has lost (or had seriously reduced - I'm not sure where they're at currently) it's COLA advantage in recent years (since the Franklin deal was done), and that's no doubt had a real impact in terms of recruiting and retaining players. There's no danger of us being told we are having a million dollars or so chopped from our salary cap.

Who said I am angry. I don’t have a problem with the signing. Just don’t think he is the Messiah, and it could mean we lose other talent which may end up making us a weaker team overall.

Sorry for not being part of the cheer squad. Just being a realist.

if we lose other players it will not be due to Grundys deal!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back