Rumour Brodie Grundy Free Agent 2020

Would you be prepared to part with Pick 1 for Brodie Grundy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
So, the Brodie Grundy to the crows rumour is gaining legs.

Grundy is a Free Agent end of next season at which point he will be 26 years old and he has put off contract talks with Collingwood.

There was more to this interview where he talked about his friends and family in Adelaide and not being against returning and some, Carey for example, are suggesting the crows use the draft pick we receive from Carlton to pre-empt free agency and nab Grundy this year with an offer Collingwood can't refuse (likely pick 1):

Obviously this would be huge and Grundy would be our biggest star import since Jarman back in the 19 (yes, nineteen) 90s.

There is no doubting his value. Not only is he the premier ruck in the comp, he plays like a 4th mid at center bounces and would be second in clearances only to Rory Sloane at the crows. Jacobs is cooked and while ROB looks better than current Jacobs, he's no Grundy. With a raft of senior players coming to the end in 2019-2020 in Jacobs, Dmac, Douglas and Betts our salary cap is opening up.

Meanwhile, there is no doubting the salary cap squeeze at Collingwood. They can't keep all of De Goey, Grundy, Treloar, Moore as their value continues to increase.

Questions remain:

1. Is he legit about leaving Collingwood or just driving up his price?

2. If he is legit, do we use pick 1 to get it done this year or wait till next year, pick him up as a FA and spend pick 1 at the draft?

3. Is he worth the mooted $1.2mill?

For mine it's a hells yeah he's worth the big bucks. Our midfield is our weakness and Grundy would be like dropping a supercharger into our engine room. However, I would wait for Free Agency next year and spend pick 1 at the draft on another gun mid to come in and work at his feet.

If we get him or just increase his cost to collingwood, that's a win/win. I'd much prefer to wait a year and get him as a free agent though.

From his perspective, Collingwood's list suits him much better, our list will likely go through a decline until the next wave of players is able to carry the side post Sloane, Tex, Talia, Lynch, Jenkins, Sauce, Betts. Whereas at Collingwood, agewise, he is right at the center of their wave so should be competitive for the rest of his career.

If we get him or just increase his cost to collingwood, that's a win/win. I'd much prefer to wait a year and get him as a free agent though.

From his perspective, Collingwood's list suits him much better, our list will likely go through a decline until the next wave of players is able to carry the side post Sloane, Tex, Talia, Lynch, Jenkins, Sauce, Betts. Whereas at Collingwood, agewise, he is right at the center of their wave so should be competitive for the rest of his career.
We'll be resurgent again in around 3-4 years with Milera, Fogarty, Jones etc coming through and hopefully Rankine I reckon so if he came in 2 years from now he wouldn't be far off it.

Might be a good thing if Collingwood win a flag this year so he can tick that off the list

Would love him at the club... but not using carlton’s first on him and, knowing that he would still be a contracted player at the end of this year, Collingwood would probably ask for more.. possibly even our second round pick this year or two firsts, Carlton’s this year and our 2020 first and we’d have to cough up because he’s contracted and one of the best players in the league.

The bloke is a gun.. but we can afford to wait another year and get him as a free agent... we need young top class mids..
Sloane and Gibbs are on the downhill side of their careers.. The crouch brothers are great but can’t carry the entire load when Sloane and Gibbs are gone.
We have some promising young players coming through but none of them have proven anything yet and may end up being great but not top class.

If Carlton end up bottom at either 18, 17 or 16th, which is almost certain, we need to use that pick to get a future Brownlow contending type midfielder. Hopefully Rowell or Anderson..

If Grundy genuinely wants to come home, then he can walk to us in 2020 feeling satisfied he was there for a solid 3 year window for the Pies to win a flag.

Grundy coming to the Crows has to be more about him wanting to come home then about getting a pay day.

In a perfect world, getting Pick 1 the best mid in the country (and Pick 19) and Grundy the following year will set us up nicely for a decent flag tilt in 2021 onwards.

By then we would have moved on and cleaned out a few players like Tex, JJ, Betts etc etc.

Grundy to the Crows is a less believable rumour than Jeremy Cameron to the Crows a couple of years back.

Absolute horse s**t. Nothing more than a blatant ploy to maximise his next contract at the Pies. Absolutely the right move by him and his manager to plant this story too. Will probably net himself an extra 200k per season by sowing the seeds of doubt here.

If he ever returns to the city of Adelaide, it will be in the twilight of his career, or once he retires.

/thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd also be hesitant about paying a ruckman $1m/year when bog-average ruckmen have won their teams a flag for the last half dozen seasons.

The thing is though, he's not just a ruckman like Sauce or Ryder. He's an extra midfielder.

Wins more clearances and contested possessions than anyone in our side except Sloane.

Wins more clearances and contested possessions than both the Crouch boys!

Not sure of the logic here. Someone who, if he leaves, would choose to come to the Crows, so we should give up pick 1 of all things to... what? Get him a year earlier? Convince him not to go somewhere else? If he wants to come home, then he wants to come home. If he doesn't then it's a moot point, it's not like the pick means anything to him. Hell, he would probably be thinking that it would be nice to ruck to a young midfielder taken at pick 1. And he can get more money if he goes as a free agent.

I guess Port could cut our lunch, but they just brought in Lycett, not to mention Ryder. Whereas Grundy would be looking at the Crows and thinking, I could do some serious good there.

Grundy is using us which sucks, but good luck to him.

Does it really suck? Worse case scenario, you're right and Collingwood are forced to dump a truck full of cash on him, costing them options to chase after other players.

If anything, I wish more players would leverage off us to wreck the salary structures of their clubs.

If Grundy genuinely wants to come home, then he can walk to us in 2020 feeling satisfied he was there for a solid 3 year window for the Pies to win a flag.

Grundy coming to the Crows has to be more about him wanting to come home then about getting a pay day.

In a perfect world, getting Pick 1 the best mid in the country (and Pick 19) and Grundy the following year will set us up nicely for a decent flag tilt in 2021 onwards.

By then we would have moved on and cleaned out a few players like Tex, JJ, Betts etc etc.

100000s x this

If we don't get Grundy it's not the end of the world but we do need to get an A+ Grade midfielder for when Sloane hangs up the boots. Rowell or Anderson are a must,

Either way we win.

Personally, I think hes driving up his contract but if he wins a premiership this year, Collingwood and Grundy might just blink

Back