Rumour Brodie Grundy Free Agent 2020

Would you be prepared to part with Pick 1 for Brodie Grundy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently the two best teams are 9th and 13th in clearance differentials (12th and 14th in center clearances differentials), and on average lose more clearances each game then they win...

I would argue the opposite. Even with this mystical 666 that was meant to take football back 20 years (it hasn't, naturally), clearances isn't a stat which is important to do well in, which has been a common theme this decade.
Every team has something to work on.
Currently the two top teams have elite midfields batting deeper than Clive palmers pockets affording them the luxury of scores from turnover due to precision ball movement

I get that no one wants to give more than they need too...but picks are a number vs a proven star that provides us with a shot at a flag!
More than ever with the 666 it is critical to win clearance and own field position, Grundy combined with our current midfield would provide more than just an upgraded ROB.
As for manage the rest of our list, we are overpaying underperforming blokes now running around the sanfl.
What you say is fine and correct however if we draft anderson this year and back ROB in next year then if we want grundy we can make a big play then but we still have anderson for example. The opportunity cost this year might be get grundy 1 year early at the expense of a probable elite young mid. With the way ROB is tracking i am absolutely in the camp of waiting 1 extra year for grundy to be a rfa if he is still keen to come home

From the AFL website..

“First priority sign ROB... second priority get Grundy?

ADELAIDE has started contract talks with emerging ruckman Reilly O'Brien while still having interest in Collingwood's All Australian big man Brodie Grundy.
O'Brien's value is increasing with every game the 23-year-old plays and he continues to hold 198-game veteran Sam Jacobs out of the side.
Grundy is contracted to the Magpies until the end of 2020, but has reportedly put off talks about an extension until the end of the season.

Crows coach Don Pyke wouldn't be drawn on whether O'Brien's sudden rise had lessened the need for the Crows to go after South Australian product Grundy.
The Magpies would all but certainly demand two first-round draft picks – with one of those the prized Carlton selection that currently belongs to the Crows – as part of any deal for Grundy.
Grundy, as the most dominant ruckman in the competition and coming into his prime at age 25, would also command a salary of $1 million per season or more.

"Let's deal with the known knowns," Pyke said on Wednesday.”

I’ll give you a “known knowns” Pyke and others.... if we traded pick 1 or 2 this year plus our next years first round pick (as this article is suggesting) for a ******* ruckman, no matter how good he is, we are ******* stupid. Ruckman don’t win you grandfinals.. fast elite midfielders do more than any other player..

And especially given that we could probably get him for no draft picks next year... Collingwood won’t bother to match a large deal if Grundy told them he wanted out and was going home... they already have a lot of coin spent in their cap and will have De Goey to re-contract on big coin next year too.

The sickening part about this suggestion is that some of the buffoon’s in charge of our club at present would more than likely be considering it...

Two first rounders, one of them potentially being a top 2 pick??... faaaaaark me. Its a 25 year old Grundy we’re talking about here... not a 25 year old Dustin Martin, Patrick Cripps or Lance Franklin... sure he’s great but he’s still a ruckman ffs and he’s no absolute game breaking superstar.

ROB will do (and already does) just fine for me thanks.

99.9% of what you said here was right - but Grundy definitely is a game breaking superstar.

Don't want to overpay for a ruckman though.

If we're trading Carlton's pick and throwing big salary, I'd rather Coniglio every single day of the week.

Wait a minute. The world has changed. Players leave clubs every year and not always as a FA. If he wants to come home it does not mean the Carlton first rounder is part of the deal. We have players and other picks which can be bundled. The point is we could be fairly strategic with this and gain Grundy and keep that Carlton pick. Collingwood will fancy our Carlton pick, but the reality is when a player publicly states they want to go to another club, it more often happens. We know this better than most clubs (Suns and Giants also know this). You don’t have to throw the baby out with the bath water. I am sure we can work out a deal if he honestly wants to come home. Don’t underestimate Port in all this. They will know that Grundy is a better proposition than a Ryder and Lycett. They would be mad to let him just come to us. This means strategy on our part. Not sure how or if it will work out but I have no doubt we will be whispering in his ear via means within the rule books to validate his desire to come home and to let him know that we would be keen to negotiate for his services

My thoughts only

Wait a minute. The world has changed. Players leave clubs every year and not always as a FA. If he wants to come home it does not mean the Carlton first rounder is part of the deal. We have players and other picks which can be bundled. The point is we could be fairly strategic with this and gain Grundy and keep that Carlton pick. Collingwood will fancy our Carlton pick, but the reality is when a player publicly states they want to go to another club, it more often happens. We know this better than most clubs (Suns and Giants also know this). You don’t have to throw the baby out with the bath water. I am sure we can work out a deal if he honestly wants to come home. Don’t underestimate Port in all this. They will know that Grundy is a better proposition than a Ryder and Lycett. They would be mad to let him just come to us. This means strategy on our part. Not sure how or if it will work out but I have no doubt we will be whispering in his ear via means within the rule books to validate his desire to come home and to let him know that we would be keen to negotiate for his services

My thoughts only

Getting one of three current best players in the competition, while under contract, without giving up Carlton's first round pick is fanciful to the extreme, and that's me watering it down.

My thoughts only

Port can have him at the price he'll command. Would just about fully relegate them to mid table with no hope of getting out of it as they've overinvested with rucks currently.

If you are Collingwood, even if Grundy wanted to go home, why would you accept any deal that pick 1-2 is not involved in? You are in a premiership window, and he is your best player. You may as well have another shot at a premiership, and just cop compensation next year as the difference isn't going to be big enough to justify it, or save 1.3 mil over 7 and match then.

Another shot at a premiership, and make a contract squeeze much worse for a rival club with more dead time present at the back end of that contract (especially seeing Grundy will most likely still be our highest paid player by that point). That's having your cake and eating it too.

Getting one of three current best players in the competition, while under contract, without giving up Carlton's first round pick is fanciful to the extreme, and that's me watering it down.
I am not going to guess what it would take but I would guess 1 or more first round picks and possibly a player may be enough. Many teams get high profile players who never have the number 1 pick. I am just saying it is possible not saying we won’t do it. This is a tough one and we will unlikely ever have a pick like this ever again so it will be interesting how this plays out.

Probably true.

Though I think the question is - what extra do they need on top of what they can justifiably get in free agent compensation?

I think we can make a similar claim to what Geelong did, that come next year we would be able to give Grundy an offer that Collingwood couldn't match.

Rob, and the Essendon pick, if we were able to trade for that from GWS?

Blicavs into the ruck at center bounce turned everything around.

Not all ROBs fault (you'll go a long way to find a less effectual 30 possession game than Matt Crouch's), but even though ROB smashed the hit outs Blicavs killed him in the follow up.

You're kidding yourself in the extreme (being kind) if you don't think Grundy would make a huge difference. You may have been watching Sauce too long and think ROB is the messiah because he can run.

Probably doesn't want to come here given our list in comparison to Collingwood over the next few years, but if he did you'd trade ROB in like a muddy commodore

Not all ROBs fault (you'll go a long way to find a less effectual 30 possession game than Matt Crouch's), but even though ROB smashed the hit outs Blicavs killed him in the follow up.

You're kidding yourself in the extreme (being kind) if you don't think Grundy would make a huge difference. You may have been watching Sauce too long and think ROB is the messiah because he can run.

Probably doesn't want to come here given our list in comparison to Collingwood over the next few years, but if he did you'd trade ROB in like a muddy commodore
With pick 1 or 2 coming i would be using it to bring in the best midfielder we can in the draft as ours is very one paced at the moment and it was shown up horribly last night. An anderson type who is big but can burst from a pack and go forward and kick goals is exactly what our midfield needs..it really hit home last night just how much of a loss charlie cameron is with his extreme pace and tackling pressure

With pick 1 or 2 coming i would be using it to bring in the best midfielder we can in the draft as ours is very one paced at the moment and it was shown up horribly last night. An anderson type who is big but can burst from a pack and go forward and kick goals is exactly what our midfield needs..it really hit home last night just how much of a loss charlie cameron is with his extreme pace and tackling pressure
Agree. Was mad into Grundy coming but as season moves on ... ROB has been pretty good and looks to be the real deal. Go for youth and more line breaking mids and fast fwd smalls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROB has barely played 15 games.

The Grundy situation smells like how Pavlich used the threat of moving back to Adelaide to leverage contract neg

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not really Grundy related but was listening to lethal on the radio. Doesn't think clubs should pay over 1 mil a year for a player - largely due to salary cap ceiling. Called it desperation to do so. Interesting perspective on caps.

Last edited:
Not really Grundy related but was listening to lethal on the radio. Doesn't think clubs should pay over 1 mil a year for a player - largely due to salary cap ceiling. Called it desperation to do so. Interesting perspective on caps.
This is how all teams should think. Focusing too much on a player is going to off-balance your ability to pay for the other players, particularly the ones that deserve/expect a pay rise.

Makes sense for both Grundy, Pies and Crows. I wouldnt want to give up our top 3 pick and worry about him next year when it will just be a salary cost.

Collingwood still get a compo pick next year if he goes and have a better chance at a flag.

Makes sense for both Grundy, Pies and Crows. I wouldnt want to give up our top 3 pick and worry about him next year when it will just be a salary cost.

Collingwood still get a compo pick next year if he goes and have a better chance at a flag.
Plus we get to potentially see ROB get another 30+ games under his belt. You never know, by the time his contract runs out the difference between the 2 players may not be that drastic. The rate the ROB has come on, and with his fitness base and body maturity. He really is only needing his skill and experience to come up for him to really take the game by the balls.

And with starting rucks Mumford, Kreuzer, Ryder, Goldstein, Sandilands, Jacobs, Bellchambers, McEvoy, and Stef Martin all north of 30 and winding down, their is a potential major vaccum for topshelf rucks about to hit the AFL.

ROB might shoot up the list of best AFL rucks extremely quickly

Plus we get to potentially see ROB get another 30+ games under his belt. You never know, by the time his contract runs out the difference between the 2 players may not be that drastic. The rate the ROB has come on, and with his fitness base and body maturity. He really is only needing his skill and experience to come up for him to really take the game by the balls.

And with starting rucks Mumford, Kreuzer, Ryder, Goldstein, Sandilands, Jacobs, Bellchambers, McEvoy, and Stef Martin all north of 30 and winding down, their is a potential major vaccum for topshelf rucks about to hit the AFL.

ROB might shoot up the list of best AFL rucks extremely quickly

Even then, you'd still rather have Grundy.

Best case as I see it is we sign ROB for 2 more years. Next year bring in Grundy as a free agent. If ROB continues to improve and is at the level where he's too good to be insurance then he can seek a trade then. End result is we keep Carlton's pick this year (probably pick 3 at the rate things are going, but certainly in the 2 - 4 range), bring in Grundy for nothing but salary and either keep ROB as good quality backup or trade him for decent value to allow him to move to a club where can be the number 1 ruck.

Even then, you'd still rather have Grundy.

Best case as I see it is we sign ROB for 2 more years. Next year bring in Grundy as a free agent. If ROB continues to improve and is at the level where he's too good to be insurance then he can seek a trade then. End result is we keep Carlton's pick this year (probably pick 3 at the rate things are going, but certainly in the 2 - 4 range), bring in Grundy for nothing but salary and either keep ROB as good quality backup or trade him for decent value to allow him to move to a club where can be the number 1 ruck.
A lot of salary though.

Back