Rumour Brodie Grundy Free Agent 2020

Would you be prepared to part with Pick 1 for Brodie Grundy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

One of, if not the best player in the league wants to come to my team.. yep I'm paying for him.
Proven star that makes us a flag contender, provides huge clearance numbers himself while tapping it down our mids throats.
Crouch bros would absolutely dominate.
Sure, but how much are you paying?

2019 he costs us pick 1/2 just as a starting point. 2020 not so much, but only if we can force a trade (in a year we will have much less collateral) or make an unmatchable godfather offer.

Which compromises our ability to attract and retain our other players.

It's a balancing act and not at all as simple as "best player in the league, whatever it takes".

Would he be an upgrade on ROB? Sure. How much are we prepared to pay - not just in pure $ and picks, but in our ability to manage the rest of our list - for an upgrade on our first ruck? I'd say a fair bit, but not enough to make it happen. And I'm good with that.

Hitouts have some importance, allowing too many hitouts to advantage puts you at a big disadvantage.

Hitouts and hitouts to advantage are different things though. If your talking raw hitouts then no it is a useless stat. Hitout to advantage isn't as but it's questionable how important clearances are to a side chances of winning/scoring.

Hitouts and hitouts to advantage are different things though. If your talking raw hitouts then no it is a useless stat. Hitout to advantage isn't as but it's questionable how important clearances are to a side chances of winning/scoring.
Don’t have to look very far...in 2017 and 2018 GFs, the 2 premier ruckmen at the time were Sauce and Grundy, respectively. Results showed a dominant team will beat a team with a dominant ruckman.

Don’t have to look very far...in 2017 and 2018 GFs, the 2 premier ruckmen at the time were Sauce and Grundy, respectively. Results showed a dominant team will beat a team with a dominant ruckman.
Hehe. Reminds me of what the Guru said on Coodabeen Champions years ago..

"A champion team will always beat a team of champions.....

Unless the team of champions is really, really good." :)

Might potentially get offered 600k, but with AFL contracts, within 150k would see a club usually keep their man (especially seeing ROB has sounded out that he'd like to stay). Any contract will be around the Sauce mark money wise, which i'm pretty sure that is.

Also hitouts is an incredibly useless stat, so that won't add a cent to his contract. The money is going to be from how much can he double up as an extra midfielder, and there is a lot of promising signs in that regard.
sign ROB but if we land Grundy he is on the trade table.
Would be in best interest of both parties

sign ROB but if we land Grundy he is on the trade table.
Would be in best interest of both parties
If Grundy wants to come we should know by now the cost $ and when. If he ain't coming then ROB 3 year contract. Crows need to play their cards right here that's for sure. Grundy could be a vital piece of a premiership puzzle.

If Grundy wants to come we should know by now the cost $ and when. If he ain't coming then ROB 3 year contract. Crows need to play their cards right here that's for sure. Grundy could be a vital piece of a premiership puzzle.
He certainly could be..but the conundrum is what to do with ROB. Out of contract at the end of this year and in career best form (over a short period of exposed form). Considering St Kilda are apparently offering big dollars for an untried Draper from Essendon - it would be a shame if we do end up parting ways not getting a good draft pick for ROB as right now rucks that can play are worth a fair bit!!

He certainly could be..but the conundrum is what to do with ROB. Out of contract at the end of this year and in career best form (over a short period of exposed form). Considering St Kilda are apparently offering big dollars for an untried Draper from Essendon - it would be a shame if we do end up parting ways not getting a good draft pick for ROB as right now rucks that can play are worth a fair bit!!
True. Got to be right for the player and the club. I'm sure Rob would do the right thing by us either way - bit of honesty both ways required.

I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying and agree the massive difference between hitouts to advantage and raw hitouts.

But hitouts aren't a completely useless stat as every hitout stat prevents a hitout to advantage to the opposition ruckman. When we play Collingwood every hitout stat shows we've limited Grundy's influence in the ruck as we've stopped him from getting his hand to the ball.

It's limited value but it's not a useless stat.

And on clearances yes, any stat, in isolation, is questionable in determining winning/losing. Except for score for and against :)

Clearances, contested ball, tackle count, inside 50's, disposal efficiency, turnovers, hitouts….. you can win a game losing any of these. But all of them give coaches an indication of where work needs to be done.

And I'm not a statistician but reckon you won't win many games losing all of them.

OK, whilst this scenario is being spit balled and the obvious conclusion is we can't keep Rob and Grundy...what is Rob worth?

Straight swap for Fantasia?

Saint Kildas 1st with 19 coming back?

Michael Walters?*

*I can hope ;)
What about Rankine?

From the AFL website..

“First priority sign ROB... second priority get Grundy?

ADELAIDE has started contract talks with emerging ruckman Reilly O'Brien while still having interest in Collingwood's All Australian big man Brodie Grundy.
O'Brien's value is increasing with every game the 23-year-old plays and he continues to hold 198-game veteran Sam Jacobs out of the side.
Grundy is contracted to the Magpies until the end of 2020, but has reportedly put off talks about an extension until the end of the season.

Crows coach Don Pyke wouldn't be drawn on whether O'Brien's sudden rise had lessened the need for the Crows to go after South Australian product Grundy.
The Magpies would all but certainly demand two first-round draft picks – with one of those the prized Carlton selection that currently belongs to the Crows – as part of any deal for Grundy.
Grundy, as the most dominant ruckman in the competition and coming into his prime at age 25, would also command a salary of $1 million per season or more.

"Let's deal with the known knowns," Pyke said on Wednesday.”

I’ll give you a “known knowns” Pyke and others.... if we traded pick 1 or 2 this year plus our next years first round pick (as this article is suggesting) for a ******* ruckman, no matter how good he is, we are ******* stupid. Ruckman don’t win you grandfinals.. fast elite midfielders do more than any other player..

And especially given that we could probably get him for no draft picks next year... Collingwood won’t bother to match a large deal if Grundy told them he wanted out and was going home... they already have a lot of coin spent in their cap and will have De Goey to re-contract on big coin next year too.

The sickening part about this suggestion is that some of the buffoon’s in charge of our club at present would more than likely be considering it...

Two first rounders, one of them potentially being a top 2 pick??... faaaaaark me. Its a 25 year old Grundy we’re talking about here... not a 25 year old Dustin Martin, Patrick Cripps or Lance Franklin... sure he’s great but he’s still a ruckman ffs and he’s no absolute game breaking superstar.

ROB will do (and already does) just fine for me thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the AFL website..

ADELAIDE has started contract talks with emerging ruckman Reilly O'Brien while still having interest in Collingwood's All Australian big man Brodie Grundy.
O'Brien's value is increasing with every game the 23-year-old plays and he continues to hold 198-game veteran Sam Jacobs out of the side.
Grundy is contracted to the Magpies until the end of 2020, but has reportedly put off talks about an extension until the end of the season.

Crows coach Don Pyke wouldn't be drawn on whether O'Brien's sudden rise had lessened the need for the Crows to go after South Australian product Grundy.
The Magpies would all but certainly demand two first-round draft picks – with one of those the prized Carlton selection that currently belongs to the Crows – as part of any deal for Grundy.
Grundy, as the most dominant ruckman in the competition and coming into his prime at age 25, would also command a salary of $1 million per season or more.

I’ll give you a “known knowns” Pyke and others.... if we traded pick 1 or 2 this year plus our next years first round pick (as this article is suggesting) for a ******* ruckman, no matter how good he is, we are ******* stupid. Ruckman don’t win you grandfinals.. fast elite midfielders do more than any other player..

And especially given that we could probably get him for no draft picks next year... Collingwood won’t bother to match a large deal if Grundy told them he wanted out and was going home... they already have a lot of coin spent in their cap and will have De Goey to re-contract on big coin next year too.

The sickening part about this suggestion is that some of the buffoon’s in charge of our club at present would more than likely be considering it...

Two first rounders, one of them potentially being a top 2 pick??... faaaaaark me. Its a 25 year old Grundy we’re talking about here... not a 25 year old Dustin Martin, Patrick Cripps or Lance Franklin... sure he’s great but he’s still a ruckman ffs and he’s no absolute game breaking superstar.

Yep, if we are coughing up cash and pick 1 or 2, make it an elite mid

From the AFL website..

Dusty. Cripps. Franklin would have never come to Adelaide though ... We need to grow our own superstars.

The missing piece of any premiership puzzle is never a ruckman... it’s Speed, Speed and more SPEED.... with massive dollops of elite midfielders with elite disposal. Then some great forwards and some very handy defenders.. then last on the list is a ruckman... how many premiership teams in the last decade have you thought after their win... “they won this year because they had the comps best ruckman”.. one of the top 2-3 ruckman imo in the comp is Nic Nat.. his team won the flag last year.. without him.
Dusty. Cripps. Franklin would have never come to Adelaide though ... We need to grow our own superstars.
Never suggested they would.. I was simply using them as examples of what you’d give up pick 1 or 2 AND next years first for.. (at 25 years of age)

Last edited:
The missing piece of any premiership puzzle is never a ruckman... it’s Speed, Speed and more SPEED.... with massive dollops of elite midfielders with elite disposal. Then some great forwards and some very handy defenders.. then last on the list is a ruckman... how many premiership teams in the last decade have you thought after their win... “they won this year because they had the comps best ruckman”.. one of the top 2-3 ruckman imo in the comp is Nic Nat.. his team won the flag last year.. without him.

Never suggested they would.. I was simply using them as examples of what you’d give up pick 1 or 2 AND next years first for.. (at 25 years of age)
Our mids go alright. We do need speed injected but could also be brave with some trades like ratkins.

Sure, but how much are you paying?

2019 he costs us pick 1/2 just as a starting point. 2020 not so much, but only if we can force a trade (in a year we will have much less collateral) or make an unmatchable godfather offer.

Which compromises our ability to attract and retain our other players.

It's a balancing act and not at all as simple as "best player in the league, whatever it takes".

Would he be an upgrade on ROB? Sure. How much are we prepared to pay - not just in pure $ and picks, but in our ability to manage the rest of our list - for an upgrade on our first ruck? I'd say a fair bit, but not enough to make it happen. And I'm good with that.
I get that no one wants to give more than they need too...but picks are a number vs a proven star that provides us with a shot at a flag!
More than ever with the 666 it is critical to win clearance and own field position, Grundy combined with our current midfield would provide more than just an upgraded ROB.
As for manage the rest of our list, we are overpaying underperforming blokes now running around the sanfl.

I get that no one wants to give more than they need too...but picks are a number vs a proven star that provides us with a shot at a flag!
More than ever with the 666 it is critical to win clearance and own field position, Grundy combined with our current midfield would provide more than just an upgraded ROB.
As for manage the rest of our list, we are overpaying underperforming blokes now running around the sanfl.

Currently the two best teams are 9th and 13th in clearance differentials (12th and 14th in center clearances differentials), and on average lose more clearances each game then they win...

I would argue the opposite. Even with this mystical 666 that was meant to take football back 20 years (it hasn't, naturally), clearances isn't a stat which is important to do well in, which has been a common theme this decade.

I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying and agree the massive difference between hitouts to advantage and raw hitouts.

But hitouts aren't a completely useless stat as every hitout stat prevents a hitout to advantage to the opposition ruckman. When we play Collingwood every hitout stat shows we've limited Grundy's influence in the ruck as we've stopped him from getting his hand to the ball.

It's limited value but it's not a useless stat.

And on clearances yes, any stat, in isolation, is questionable in determining winning/losing. Except for score for and against :)

Clearances, contested ball, tackle count, inside 50's, disposal efficiency, turnovers, hitouts….. you can win a game losing any of these. But all of them give coaches an indication of where work needs to be done.

And I'm not a statistician but reckon you won't win many games losing all of them.

Actually, no. You can correlate meters gained differentials really well with teams being successful, and marks inside 50 (from a recent piece by statinsider) ;)

My guess, without having the statistics, is pressure acts would be another one that'd stack up well on its own.

I'd argue hitouts are more useless then limited because even with a hitout to advantage, it's not like the defending team is at a disadvantage unless separation has happened. Of course, there is nothing stopping the opposition winning a clearance and scoring off your hitout either which does also destroy any limited value it has as a stat.

Last 10 Premiership Ruck Combos...

Lycett/Vardy
Nankervis/Grigg!
Roughead/Boyd
McEvoy/Hale (twice)
Hale/Bailey
Pyke/Mumford
Ottens/West
Jolly/Brown
Ottens/Blake

Based on this, you would have to question any 'selling of the farm' type trade (specifically coughing up pick 1 or 2) for Grundy (and I love B. Grundy as a player).

Back