Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood have already learnt hard lessons with Reid’s 5 year contract or Clokes 5 years. Held over the barrel. Both stars at the time, played hardball, before their absolute decline limiting our ability to recruit a Hawthorn style group of players, who wanted to win a flag before their own material gains. He might be an awesome player but i’ll be pi**ed if we did anything longer than 3 years. Dale Thomas another great example of a stupid 5 year deal, albeit for Carlton not us. Lance Franklin, he’ll be a Daniel Wells on a million dollars for the last 3 years of his contract. The club is bigger than any single player and Geelong is a great example of losing arguably the best player of all time but still winning a flag. I might be unpopular but I’d much prefer 2 first round picks and a roughhead style recruit for nothing, than to risk a huge contract on future output that is never guaranteed. You’re only as good as your last season, so Collingwood should be well aware of the negative consequences that can result from long term contracts.
Best post on the subject so far

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Grundy is by your best player he is another midfielder! 3 years does not seem fair when Taylor Adams and all these guys are getting 5 year deals.

Adams signed for probably half of what Grundy wants. Talking 1 mil player vs 500-600k.

Club might be willing to match his monetary demands but only for 3 years then review. His contract runs out next year at 26 yo, plus 3 years takes him to 29. A 30 yo (New contract age after the extra 3 years) physical ruck is likely to have a drop off and most likely wont be a 1 mil player anymore imo its smart by the club to not over cook the length.

I think having him do ruck with no physical development was more the issue, he has stated he hated the gym and did bare minimum or dodged it all together. This ultimately was why his ruck game was poor and his leap timing, josh had a good leap but his timing was oft poor, and would often be on the way down when meeting the ball rather then at his highest jumping point.
I don't think there was an issue. I think he got the best out of himself. Like Jonbe suggested, there was an obsession in the footy world with a ruckmans skill and mobility. That's why Fraser went Pick 1. Ultimately, he became a good player but didn't have the physical or mental attributes to become a star ruck or a star in any other role.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't think there was an issue. I think he got the best out of himself. Like Jonbe suggested, there was an obsession in the footy world with a ruckmans skill and mobility. That's why Fraser went Pick 1. Ultimately, he became a good player but didn't have the physical or mental attributes to become a star ruck or a star in any other role.

There 100% was an issue. He was good as follower not as a ruckmen or the physical side of the game which is often led by quality rucks.

There 100% was an issue. He was good as follower not as a ruckmen or the physical side of the game which is often led by quality rucks.
I agree with that. I just mean that it wasn't a mismanagement issue. It was to do with Fraser's make up - a lack of size and aggression that just wasn't him.

SpongePie

Premium Platinum
Feb 14, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Then why did Adam's get 5 Years?

I would think it is a risk based decision. Adams signs for 5 years, but on less money. So the risk to the Pies isnt so bad.

Grundy though would want $1mil+, to give him that much over the same period of time is riskier to the club. So the club offset that risk by offering less time. "yup we will give you 5 years, but we will pay you only $800k.... or you can have $1mil but we will give you 3 years".

It isn't just about length of contract. It is length of contract, in combination with the value of the project, in combination of the potential for the player to be injured, etc.

It is entirely a risk based conversation at the end of the day.

I would think it is a risk based decision. Adams signs for 5 years, but on less money. So the risk to the Pies isnt so bad.

Grundy though would want $1mil+, to give him that much over the same period of time is riskier to the club. So the club offset that risk by offering less time. "yup we will give you 5 years, but we will pay you only $800k.... or you can have $1mil but we will give you 3 years".

It isn't just about length of contract. It is length of contract, in combination with the value of the project, in combination of the potential for the player to be injured, etc.

It is entirely a risk based conversation at the end of the day.

Then Another would tell Grundy they give him what he wants then

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Then Another would tell Grundy they give him what he wants then
Nothing is certain Dave, I certainly wouldn't welcome a daisy/carlscum scenario here.

The club may end up splitting the difference and offer $850 - $900K over 5 years.

I'm sure the club would want to compensate him properly but exposure is exposure.

Just imagine a severe knee injury (ruckmen are prone to them) 2 years down the track with the Grundog out for a year and us hamstrung by a huge contract bill unable to recruit a decent covering ruckman.

Pretty scary stuff.

Nothing is certain Dave, I certainly wouldn't welcome a daisy/carlscum scenario here.

The club may end up splitting the difference and offer $850 - $900K over 5 years.

I'm sure the club would want to compensate him properly but exposure is exposure.

Just imagine a severe knee injury (ruckmen are prone to them) 2 years down the track with the Grundog out for a year and us hamstrung by a huge contract bill unable to recruit a decent covering ruckman.

Pretty scary stuff.

That is with any player you Sign that could end there Career in a Moment

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
That is with any player you Sign that could end there Career in a Moment
Exactly Dave but with every year the risk rises and of course being a ruckman multiplies it horrendously.

Remember mate ruckmen cop a battering all year long.

Very few escape to the end of their career without major injury at some stage.

Exactly Dave but with every year the risk rises and of course being a ruckman multiplies it horrendously.

Remember mate ruckmen cop a battering all year long.

Very few escape to the end of their career without major injury at some stage.
Don't want another Josh Fraser?

Big a Huge Loss IF we lost Grundy

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don't want another Josh Fraser?

Big a Huge Loss IF we lost Grundy
Ruckmen are a special breed mate and usually very durable - as our Grundog has been but it's a high risk occupation. Knees cop a hammering in the ruck - not so much as they used to before the new centre square ball ups - but a hammering nevertheless.

Not unusual for a ruckman to retire in the 27/28 yo bracket.

Ruckmen are a special breed mate and usually very durable - as our Grundog has been but it's a high risk occupation. Knees cop a hammering in the ruck - not so much as they used to before the new centre square ball ups - but a hammering nevertheless.

Not unusual for a ruckman to retire in the 27/28 yo bracket.

IF it was any other Ruckman I would not be giving Grundy a 5 year deal but Grundy is Once in a Generation Ruckman and you don't let those Go

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
IF it was any other Ruckman I would not be giving Grundy a 5 year deal but Grundy is Once in a Generation Ruckman and you don't let those Go
Well that is the boots and all strategy mate and emotionally I am with you - LOVE the Grundog.

But I've run a business for over 30 years and 5 mil over 5 years is a high risk strategy that is exposing the club to financial disaster if things go wrong.

Glad it's not my call to make.

Well that is the boots and all strategy mate and emotionally I am with you - LOVE the Grundog.

But I've run a business for over 30 years and 5 mil over 5 years is a high risk strategy that is exposing the club to financial disaster if things go wrong.

Glad it's not my call to make.

True but then Grundy could be Fit for those 5 Years and Lead us to a Few Flags as Best Case Scenario on the other side

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
How many years is Beams on though?

Oh yeah, 4 years.
4 years for Beams and 3 for Grundy.

Did Beams get a 4 year contract??!! Jeez i dunno what rock Ive been hiding under I didnt know that I thought it was two

Jesus Mary and Joseph, the bloke didnt even last half of the first season, let alone four??!! What are they goddamn smoking in our recruitment and list management department, they seem to think just getting gazillions of small little midfielders and broken down old men will make a premiership team 😳

Go Woods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood have already learnt hard lessons with Reid’s 5 year contract or Clokes 5 years. Held over the barrel. Both stars at the time, played hardball, before their absolute decline limiting our ability to recruit a Hawthorn style group of players, who wanted to win a flag before their own material gains. He might be an awesome player but i’ll be pi**ed if we did anything longer than 3 years. Dale Thomas another great example of a stupid 5 year deal, albeit for Carlton not us. Lance Franklin, he’ll be a Daniel Wells on a million dollars for the last 3 years of his contract. The club is bigger than any single player and Geelong is a great example of losing arguably the best player of all time but still winning a flag. I might be unpopular but I’d much prefer 2 first round picks and a roughhead style recruit for nothing, than to risk a huge contract on future output that is never guaranteed. You’re only as good as your last season, so Collingwood should be well aware of the negative consequences that can result from long term contracts.
Didn’t we initially sign Treloar to six & only this year Crisp & Adams to 5 year deals? And a 29 year old Beams for 4 years? Grundy very durable and should definitely be offered 5 without flinching.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Pretty scary stuff.

That's why we have Lynch developing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back