Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think that is wishful thinking. Probably will not happen but Grundy will be weighing up more than just the dollars. The pull of home will be part of that. How strong that is only Grundy knows.

We will find out what he is Doing Next Year. Doubt he would ask for a Trade this Off-Sesaon and Club won't either

Grundy has been quoted before saying he wants to be a Collingwood Premiership player.
If we win the flag this year, he may feel he’s accomplished his goal and seek a trade back home.
Being the best ruckman in the league and a Premiership player, he would command some sort of a trade.

The relationships he has at Collingwood that this article outlines, would indicate to me this guy is going nowhere!!

Brodie Grundy: A cool competitor

Last edited:
The relationships he has at Collingwood
Can’t see the article however, I was literally thinking the same thing.
That coupled with him saying, (last year) he’s looking forward to playing the next 100 games for the club.

perhaps the negotiations are more about the length of this particular contract
Seems that’s the case.
If he’s staying for unders, then it’s reasonable for him to expect longer term security.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m ok with 7 so long as he’s taking a hit on $$$. When you’re talking that sort of timeframe you potentially work through three EBA’s and whilst I know he’ll get there it would be a nightmare scenario for us to end in a similar situation to Sydney on Buddy who’s contractually owed $3.9 million over the next three years (as per Andy Maher).

The relationships he has at Collingwood that this article outlines, would indicate to me this guy is going nowhere!!

Brodie Grundy: A cool competitor

He won't.

Hard to work out his Contract as we also have Moore and De Goey coming out of Contract and they would also want a very good Contract

I’m ok with 7 so long as he’s taking a hit on $$$. When you’re talking that sort of timeframe you potentially work through three EBA’s and whilst I know he’ll get there it would be a nightmare scenario for us to end in a similar situation to Sydney on Buddy who’s contractually owed $3.9 million over the next three years (as per Andy Maher).

SO IF a Team offers Grundy a Buddy Deal you be more then happy to let him walk?

I wouldn't offer any player 7 years.
Purely for the sake of discussion...
Let's assume we deemed him to be worth $1-$1.1m a season and offered a 3 year deal.
Would you be happy paying him $850-$900k for 6 years?

SO IF a Team offers Grundy a Buddy Deal you be more then happy to let him walk?

Yep. In that scenario we’d match and then orchestrate a trade commensurate with the contract offer (2 x top 10 picks + a best 22 player or 2 best 10 players and a 1st round pick).

I’d identify two major issues with that question:

1. No club will offer that
2. Grundy’s going to stay

None of our big 3 will leave, but some of the lower hanging fruit will eventually be lost (Cox, Daicos, Scharenberg, Sier, JT etc.) guys that can get guaranteed game time elsewhere and have their contract size doubled.

I wouldn't offer any player 7 years.
It's ludicrous and i'm surprised he want's a deal of that length.

5 year deal should be the max we offer on decent coin.

I don't have an issue with it in this instance. You'd imagine he'd take less for the added security and that the year-2-year salary would be in decline in the final years. Would only be 32 going into his final year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back