Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. In that scenario we’d match and then orchestrate a trade commensurate with the contract offer (2 x top 10 picks + a best 22 player or 2 best 10 players and a 1st round pick).

I’d identify two major issues with that question:

1. No club will offer that
2. Grundy’s going to stay

None of our big 3 will leave, but some of the lower hanging fruit will eventually be lost (Cox, Daicos, Scharenberg, Sier, JT etc.) guys that can get guaranteed game time elsewhere and have their contract size doubled.

Agree with that being the Most Likely Outcome. We keep the Big 3 but some others who come out of Contract in next few seasons will be lost. I would not Complain IF we lost Daicos and JT

I don't have an issue with it in this instance. You'd imagine he'd take less for the added security and that the year-2-year salary would be in decline in the final years. Would only be 32 going into his final year.
Exactly, if you look at it from Collingwood's perspective, they actually have a degree of flexibility in this

Broadie has made his request of 7 years, for the Pies they say "yes, but if you want that, the $ must then be commensurate with what we are able to pay, so instead of $1 mill @ 5 years, you take $850K at 7 years"

Negotiations should be about win/win with either side being prepared to move a little

Contract expires at the end of next year, that’s a long time to stress.

Relax and enjoy the now man.

I've already said this before but Grundy's contract needs to be sort this year. We simply can't afford to leave it until next year and risk losing him because next year we lose him for effectively nothing.

This year, we get a Top 5 draft pick and more for him.

I've already said this before but Grundy's contract needs to be sort this year. We simply can't afford to leave it until next year and risk losing him because next year we lose him for effectively nothing.

This year, we get a Top 5 draft pick and more for him.

Why not next year?

We also have to Figure out De Goey and Moore Deals before we can give Grundy a Firm Offer

Why not next year?

We also have to Figure out De Goey and Moore Deals before we can give Grundy a Firm Offer

Because Like I said, if he leaves next year, we lose him for basically nothing. Our club should be burned to the ground if they lose the best ruckman in the comp for nothing.

At least this year we can get a shitload for him.

Because Like I said, if he leaves next year, we lose him for basically nothing. Our club should be burned to the ground if they lose the best ruckman in the comp for nothing.

At least this year we can get a s**tload for him.

We lose him next year and we'll get FA compo which the AFL can now apportion given size and duration of the contract. That would likely net us a pick in the top 2-3 regardless of our ladder position. It would still be unders, but hardly "basically nothing".

We lose him next year and we'll get FA compo which the AFL can now apportion given size and duration of the contract. That would likely net us a pick in the top 2-3 regardless of our ladder position. It would still be unders, but hardly "basically nothing".

Why would we get a Top 2-3 pick?

We don't know what his current contract is. I doubt it's very big.

Size and duration of contract on offer

Aaaahhhhh, I stand corrected. Ok, then I guess no rush.

I was under the impression we got comp based on the contract he's coming out of.

Won't be for Nothing the Minimum we would lose him is for a 1st Round Pick but he won't leave anyway

It’s not exactly small either.
And I think (stand corrected) the contract he’s going to get from his chosen club also plays a roll in the calculation.

The idea being, the compensation is commensurate with his “value.”

But then again, the AFL make it up as they go at times.

The idea that we lose him for nothing because he’s a restricted free agent is nonsense. Regardless of that, how many players go back to their home state when they’re the ones requesting a longer deal with their current club? That alone should be enough indication that he has no intention of leaving unless we try to seriously lowball him and has no choice eg. Eddie Betts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not his current contract, it's the offer he's accepted to leave. Compensation is based on the dollar value and duration of the contract with the normal 1st round, end of 1st round etc options available. Following the Buddy situation, the league initiated the discretion to change those options to allow a pick more commensurate with the value of the new contract. In today's environment, the Dawks would likely have received pick 1 as compo for Buddy instead of 18 or 19.

The way we are playing him at the moment playing 90% ruck time he’s only got 3 good years left in him.

He won’t last 7yrs unless we give him a break. Which by offering only 3 suggests we don’t have plans too.

He deserves 5yrs and deserves to get a rest more often in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back