Recommitted Brodie Grundy [re-signed for seven years]

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
That is the key..I think you are right on the matching of bids that a deal does not have to happen on reading up on it..unless Grundy decides he wants to leave. Recalling the dangerfield situation, the crows apparently told Dangerfield and his management they would match any bid by Geelong to ensure a better trade was gained, unless the rules have changed, I suspect the same would apply to Grundy if he told Collingwood he was out at the end of next year (that collingwood can choose to match to ensure they get a better trade)

And this is why the crows would be wise to wait till next year and not burn pick 1 this year when they can get a top mid and maybe get Grundy next year - if there is even a skerrick of truth behind the 'reports'

Unless Adelaide have changed the way they structure their payments they won't be able to bid high enough to bother Collingwood.

With Dangerfield, we weren't (and aren't) paying him full market value so they Crows were able to threaten to match. We could have bid higher but that would have messed up our pay structure so the two clubs basically met in the middle, Adelaide got something (not full value) instead of nothing and we got to keep our payment structure. Also Dangerfield had given the Crows very good service over the years so the Crows were not of a mindset to scorch the earth with that one.

Only 18 and Could he go Forward?
He barely touches the ball in defence and you think it’s a good idea to put him in a more difficult position? He’s no good, he wouldn’t even get a SANFL game if he wasn’t AFL listed.

He barely touches the ball in defence and you think it’s a good idea to put him in a more difficult position? He’s no good, he wouldn’t even get a SANFL game if he wasn’t AFL listed.

Get him on our VFL List so can be Close to his Brother;)

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood

Sirens? Probably means less given he's not off-contract until next year though.
I have to raise my eyebrows at how seasoned some people are with how the footy contract cycle works if the reaction to this is "sirens?"

This article says talks are "on hold" yet the Hun's version makes very clear that list manager Ned Guy and Grundy's manager Robbie D'Orazio have started talks but neither are in a rush. The fact of the matter is, Grundy is still contracted for 2020. The only rush to re-contract him is if we are desperate to get a high value trade for him, but given how much we value Grundy and how important he is for us, I doubt we are contemplating a trade at all.

Grundy and his manager are well within their rights to not sign a new contract yet given there is a year and a half left to go on the current one and he's in the form of his career. Out of the entire batch of young players we have that are OOC this year or next, Grundy is close to the top of my list of being least afraid of losing.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wait until he’s a FA and get him for free.

There’s no chance we can offer something that Pies won’t match. You’d think their compo would be something Buddy stupid like 16. They’ll match and we’ll be paying plenty anyway. Only difference is it’s unlikely we’ll be strolling into negotiations with 1 or 2 in the back pocket. It’ll be something like our next 2 firsts and a pretty good player or the pick from trading a good player.

There’s no chance we can offer something that Pies won’t match. You’d think their compo would be something Buddy stupid like 16. They’ll match and we’ll be paying plenty anyway. Only difference is it’s unlikely we’ll be strolling into negotiations with 1 or 2 in the back pocket. It’ll be something like our next 2 firsts and a pretty good player or the pick from trading a good player.

Plus with Riley O'Brien coming good your Need for Grundy is lot less now

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
On current form he is top 3 player in the AFL and will attract stupid offers like $1.5 mil a season

Pies should be looking to extend his contract another 6 years and if they can get him on a discount they would have done well just turned 25 so will easily remain top of his game another 6 years. 6 years @1.25 mil would be around the mark

VADA

Debutant
Jun 19, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Collingwood need to get his contract sorted this year. With Adelaide having pick 1 or 2 if he’s going to go that’s as good as they’ll get from the SA clubs in terms of value.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood need to get his contract sorted this year. With Adelaide having pick 1 or 2 if he’s going to go that’s as good as they’ll get from the SA clubs in terms of value.

I mean this is the only year Pies will get value of any sort given that the only way a trade would occur at the end of 2020 is if we match the offer. Has that actually ever happened in the history of AFL free agency?

Point is - my impression of our list management team is we would have thought about a pick 1 trade for Grundy at the end of 2019 for all of five seconds and then realised "oh wait, he's actually our best player."

VADA

Debutant
Jun 19, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I mean this is the only year Pies will get value of any sort given that the only way a trade would occur at the end of 2020 is if we match the offer. Has that actually ever happened in the history of AFL free agency?

Point is - my impression of our list management team is we would have thought about a pick 1 trade for Grundy at the end of 2019 for all of five seconds and then realised "oh wait, he's actually our best player."

If he has any thoughts on going home this may be your best value in return. I wouldn’t be be getting rid of him but if he wants to go pick two is better than two picks in the teens.

Didn't the Cats Match the Dangerfield Offer and that why Trade had to happen?

Back