Recommitted Brodie Grundy [re-signed for seven years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
So what you're saying is that leaving Collingwood doesn't impact a players chance of getting a post-footy media career.

Leaving Carlton doesn't.

I don't count I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out Of Here as a media career tho...

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Listening today, I can't think he's going anywhere

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty sure he is just saying stuff to get a bigger deal.

I'd say he told his manager "I want to stay at Collingwood"

And the manager said "Don't tell them that, make up like you are thinking of leaving.. they will give you an extra million and I'll get my 5% commission baby!!"

And the manager said "Don't tell them that, make up like you are thinking of leaving.. they will give you an extra million and I'll get my 5% commission baby!!"

I am pretty much Certain he is just Playing the Game to make Sure he Gets something Close to what he Wants.

That sounds very likely what is Happening

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC

Exactly. Connors bloody hates the Pies too, so that doesn't help. Grundy was smashing it, so Connors approached us about a contract extension a while back. We gave our offer, Connors thought he could get a longer deal. Tough to do, when there's only one other suitor, namely the Crows and they really appear like they may be shedding some older players and looking at a reload not rebuild. Resigning ROB to a 3 year deal, I think, indicates to me they'll be plying their cap space elsewhere, than the ruck.

He's considering heading back to Adelaide to start a family or on the flip side wants a 7 year deal at the Pies? Doesn't make sense. Does he want to start a family in 7 years? He'll get a deserved 4/5 year extension with triggers, if required and we'll be happy. But that wont stop Jon Ralph posting an article about it every 2 weeks next year until he signs.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Don't think he'll leave. It would take a mega deal anyway in terms of trade and salary and probably not worth it for the buying club anyway, they'd have to throw the kitchen sink on 1 player and pay way overs if they wanted him now.

The only contender that is probably desperate for a ruck that might pay that and has the currency to send back would be the Giants, but there's no way they could afford his salary. Even if he went back to SA, he isn't turning either of those clubs into a threat any time soon so his best chance for success is at the Pies. As long as they get somewhat close to other offers in salary he will stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

col44

All Australian
Oct 1, 2004
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gun ruckman are nice but don't often win flags.
Richmond, WC (18), Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney (12), didn't have the best ruckman in the comp and won.
The last time the best Ruckman won a flag was Dean Cox at West Coast.
I hope Collingwood or Adelaide give him his 1.4mil and consign themselves to years of near misses.

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Grundy going no where, all the club is doing is working out the payment structure for his next contract based on who we have to resign and who we might be after next year. I doubt a deal will be done until sometime next year but am not fussed.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Grundy going no where, all the club is doing is working out the payment structure for his next contract based on who we have to resign and who we might be after next year. I doubt a deal will be done until sometime next year but am not fussed.
Say goodbye to Darcy Moore & DeGoey in the next two years.

Reports he is about to sign a 7 year deal. That’s a long contract for a ruck.

But end of the day he is a gun and worth a long term investment.

Ruckman like him don't come around very Often.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
******* irresponsible contract, IMO. To expect a ruckman to have 10 consecutive elite seasons (based on finances) is preposterous!

To clarify for those that will go “huh 10?”. He’s had 2 already and the 7 year contract starts in 2021 so that’s likely 3 before the contract starts (I expect he maintains the rage in 2020 obviously). That contract covers 3 EBA’s and will probably see a 19th club introduced before it’s done.

The only silver lining is that going there this early indicates we’re pretty content with how things will play out with JDG and Moore plus it removes some of the media circus.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
******* irresponsible contract, IMO. To expect a ruckman to have 10 consecutive elite seasons (based on finances) is preposterous!

To clarify for those that will go “huh 10?”. He’s had 2 already and the 7 year contract starts in 2021 so that’s likely 3 before the contract starts (I expect he maintains the rage in 2020 obviously). That contract covers 3 EBA’s and will probably see a 19th club introduced before it’s done.

The only silver lining is that going there this early indicates we’re pretty content with how things will play out with JDG and Moore plus it removes some of the media circus.
Its the buddy contract - if you get 5 great years and he slows down in the last 2 then so be it.

It's better than trying to get another ruck in.

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I'd have thought $6 million over 7 years to stay at CFC would be more like it. In the premiership window so creating this kind of cap squeeze is precarious IMO.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.

It's a goddamn steal. Grundy is a generational talent and as the salary cap continues to rise this will prove to be a bargain, assuming he stays relatively injury free.

Back