Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

2nd round pick in the 30s is a nothing pick + 1.5 million to pay. Prefer we keep him or trade him for nothing to a club that takes all of his wage. Almost perfer to pay a club a draft pick to take all of his wage.

2nd round pick in the 30s is a nothing pick + 1.5 million to pay. Prefer we keep him or trade him for nothing to a club that takes all of his wage. Almost perfer to pay a club a draft pick to take all of his wage.

The Dees are doing Collingwood are massive favour by getting Grundy and most of his contract off your books, so a 2nd round pick probably seems right to me.

That's still a very good asset/capital to have tbh.

I guess the question is, do you prefer to keep him if it means missing out on / losing Degoey/Mcstay/Hill/Frampton/Mitchell/Fiorini/2nd rounder

Sure, but with the issue being that of all the other clubs, Geelong won't take on his wage, there are a number of clubs who are performing too poorly atm to be in contention for Grundy (Essendon, North, Hawthorn), and all other Vic clubs are already committed to a first-line ruckman.

Nobody has the cap space to take on the full Grundy wage.

Well, this goes against the popular theory amongst a lot of people in this thread.

Michael Gleeson in The Age -

Collingwood do not have to trade Grundy out to make salary cap room for the players they have targeted this trade period in McStay, Bobby Hill from the Giants and Billy Frampton from Adelaide.

De Goey rejects Collingwood contract offer over behavioural clauses

More relevant to DeGoey apart from this part..

“Collingwood do not have to trade out Grundy to make salary cap room for the players they have targeted this trade period in McStay, Bobby Hill from the Giants and Billy Frampton from Adelaide.

The option of trading Grundy is about creating salary cap space for other potential moves such as Tom Mitchell from Hawthorn.”

“Collingwood do not have to trade out Grundy to make salary cap room for the players they have targeted this trade period in McStay, Bobby Hill from the Giants and Billy Frampton from Adelaide.

The option of trading Grundy is about creating salary cap space for other potential moves such as Tom Mitchell from Hawthorn.”
Goes against people’s narratives to make Collingwood look like idiots and to reduce Grundy’s value. Watch how no-one will even acknowledge it 😂

It’s always been clear as day that McStay and Grundy aren’t linked at all. Grundy can stay and we’d still be picking up McStay.

If we can dump 700k which will pay for Tom Mitchell then it’s a big improvement for the list

It’s always been clear as day that McStay and Grundy aren’t linked at all. Grundy can stay and we’d still be picking up McStay.

If we can dump 700k which will pay for Tom Mitchell then it’s a big improvement for the list

It’s never quite made sense given the number of players on big dollars at some other clubs.

I think Wrights historical comments about a cap hangover have been misconstrued a fair bit.

IMO he simply hasn’t been happy with where we have been spending our $ and is now really trying to flatten out the pay structure and cut the fat from certain areas of the ground.

It’s never quite made sense given the number of players on big dollars at some other clubs.

I think Wrights historical comments about a cap hangover have been misconstrued a fair bit.

IMO he simply hasn’t been happy with where we have been spending our $ and is now really trying to flatten out the pay structure and cut the fat from certain areas of the ground.
What would have Hale and McEvoy been paid under his watch? Probably no more than half of what Grundy is on. Bloke knows rucks aren’t worth the big bucks, and is trying to establish some consistency in our TPP after years of mismanagement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dees are doing Collingwood are massive favour by getting Grundy and most of his contract off your books, so a 2nd round pick probably seems right to me.

That's still a very good asset/capital to have tbh.

They are adding an elite ruck to the team that won the flag before going many months unbeaten.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for them

Possibly, but not often, if at all, playing highly rated 2nd year players Fin McCrae, Poulter and Henry who all showed good signs in their first years, defies that logic.

Both Wright and McRae are going all in to win now, which then makes trading Grundy even more dumbfounding.

Poluter was superceded by Nick Daicos, McCrae need time to develop and Henry got a good run at it. I think you are trying to balance the list. They are not going all in, they are building a list that they think can flag. This year was a pleasant surprise but does not change the plan.

I hope North follow it to a certain extent.

I'm struggling to see Pies coming out of this trade in a positive light.
Because it has to be done, the problem must be cleaned up. New admin can simply claim to their fault. No different to the corporate world when a new CEO comes in and clears the decks with asset write downs etc. How the hell does GCS have cap issues? Pies are not on their own.

Sure, but with the issue being that of all the other clubs, Geelong won't take on his wage, there are a number of clubs who are performing too poorly atm to be in contention for Grundy (Essendon, North, Hawthorn), and all other Vic clubs are already committed to a first-line ruckman.

Nobody has the cap space to take on the full Grundy wage.
Just wrong. Adelaide, Hawthorn and Port were all keen and could have covered his wage.

Dees fans I’m not familiar with your list. Does Melbourne have an up and coming ruckman not named Luke Jackson?
Nope. Gawn is literally the only ruck left on our list once Jackson goes. Weideman shudders was our VFL ruck after Majak got hurt/retired

Nope. Gawn is literally the only ruck left on our list once Jackson goes. Weideman shudders was our VFL ruck after Majak got hurt/retired
Surely there’d be an 18yo beanpole they’re looking at in this draft. Even if you’re recruiting Grundy, you need to invest 4-5 years into a ruckman to get him upto senior standards.

Got Kalani White coming through the ranks.

Will be just about ready to go after Grundys 5 years run out.

Last edited:
Just wrong. Adelaide, Hawthorn and Port were all keen and could have covered his wage.
Adelaide and Port are interstate, Hawthorn are ordinary this year. No way he is going to any of them.

Besides, why would Grundy - as a player in his late twenties - go from a club that was two points off a Grand Final (in a game where they were beaten in the ruck), to a club outside the eight, and in the case of Adelaide and Hawthorn, a long way outside the eight?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back