Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone please explain why Melbourne would even entertain the idea of getting Grundy? Seems ludicrous to me. You don’t even need one gun ruckman to win a premiership, let alone two. You’re much better off spending your money on midfielders and forwards (admittedly, they’re rarely on offer).
My qualm with Collingwood paying big bucks for McStay, and my question with Melbourne going after Grundy stems from the fact there is a few gun KPFs that are potentially up for grabs at the end of 2023. Both sides clearly need one.

The KPFs are -

Fogarty (OOC), Hipwood (RFA), Mason Cox (😝), Harry Jones (OOC), Himmelberg (RFA), Riccardi (OOC) and Georgiades (OOC)

Can someone please explain why Melbourne would even entertain the idea of getting Grundy? Seems ludicrous to me. You don’t even need one gun ruckman to win a premiership, let alone two. You’re much better off spending your money on midfielders and forwards (admittedly, they’re rarely on offer).
If rather go for a key forward. As You say though there aren’t many decent ones available. Goodwin seems to think a fit Gawn (was injured much of this year) can play a big role up forward. I’m not convinced.
However Grundy coming in with only spending around 600k and a second rounder is good with me.

My qualm with Collingwood paying big bucks for McStay, and my question with Melbourne going after Grundy stems from the fact there is a few gun KPFs that are potentially up for grabs at the end of 2023. Both sides clearly need one.

The KPFs are -

Fogarty (OOC), Hipwood (RFA), Mason Cox (😝), Harry Jones (OOC), Himmelberg (RFA), Riccardi (OOC) and Georgiades (OOC)

Sorry PL....but these so called GUN KPF's are more like "pop gun" KPF's.....and Cox is a ruckman now remember?

Sorry PL....but these so called GUN KPF's are more like "pop gun" KPF's.....and Cox is a ruckman now remember?
With the exception of Hipwood and Himmelberg, the rest are around the 21-23 year old mark, so still pups for their roles.

I reckon a few of them will be guns within the next few years. Darcy Fogarty will be one of the best power forwards in the game as early as next year IMO.

Was just taking the piss with Cox.

They are getting Grundy pretty cheap, that is why. I agree it doesnt solve any of their problems, but at that price most clubs would give it a go.

Can’t imagine any more hold up occurring. Collingwood asked for top 25 pick.

Dees hold 27 which will become 25 once Brisbanes picks 21&25 get consumed on Father sons. Basically meeting the asking price.

Can throw in pick 62 for good measure if needed.

We're doubling down on our turnover and stoppage based game plan. We're doing it differently, not following the crowd.

The KPFs are -

When are you going to name the gun forwards up for grabs?

No idea mate. I think most demons fans know that its not going to work. Everyone except Simon Goodwin. Especially when we have one of the worst key forwards in the afl in Ben Brown as our go-to key forward. But like you said, maybe there is no forwards on offer.

Can’t imagine any more hold up occurring. Collingwood asked for top 25 pick.

Dees hold 27 which will become 25 once Brisbanes picks 21&25 get consumed on Father sons. Basically meeting the asking price.

Can throw in pick 62 for good measure if needed.
Hopefully we knock a bit more off his salary if its pick 27. Im not sure if we will ever know the exact amount payed by the Pies though.

Dees supporters saying two ruckman won’t work and can’t see a need for him.
Yet Max is his biggest fan. 🤔
Plenty of Melbourne supporters are on board.

We won a flag with Gawn/Jackson and Grundy is an upgrade on Jackson.

Imagine a core midfield of Oliver, Petracca, Brayshaw and Viney roving to AA calibre ruckmen for 100% of game-time. Well worth exploring how they can improve on the Gawn/Jackson combo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea mate. I think most demons fans know that its not going to work. Everyone except Simon Goodwin. Especially when we have one of the worst key forwards in the afl in Ben Brown as our go-to key forward. But like you said, maybe there is no forwards on offer.
No doubt you wanted Goodwin sacked in 2020.

Plenty of Melbourne supporters are on board.

We won a flag with Gawn/Jackson and Grundy is an upgrade on Jackson.

Imagine a core midfield of Oliver, Petracca, Brayshaw and Viney roving to AA calibre ruckmen for 100% of game-time. Well worth exploring how they can improve on the Gawn/Jackson combo.

It still doesn't really solve their forward line issues, with is why some of us are questioning their viability of it. Everyone knows Melbs midfield is top notch.

It still doesn't really solve their forward line issues, with is why some of us are questioning their viability of it. Everyone knows Melbs midfield is top notch.
Who said it does ?

It will be up to the coaching group to improve F50 entries, to get van Rooyen up and running (will play nearly all next year aged 20), and get a fit McDonald back. Plus get goals out of Fritsch, Pickett, Gawn, Grundy, the midfield and potentially Brown.

Notwithstanding their forward issues they still won 16 games in the H&A.

Do you think they won't be trying to improve it ?

Gawn is getting on in years now and is happy for Grundy to be the no1 ruck, Gawn will just cruise around taking marks around the ground, probably mostly behind the ball and he’s very good at that.

Not convinced, predicting it won't work out optimally on field as planned, but will be a really interesting watch in 2023 to see how their roles work together when 1 or both of them are going to be spending significantly less time in their preferred and best position on field.
Gawn gets his kicking boots on (eventually) and you’ve got a 40+ goal marking forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back