Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
people are rating Grundy worth 2 or even 3 first round picks?

Really????

why would any club pay that much for a retired mid to late 30s Grundy?

:think::think::think::cool::p

Umm 121 tackles? That’s a fantastic year total. Methinks there’s been a mistake here.
According to the AFL stats page he's averaged 4 tackles per game so I don't know where this guy gets his information??
EDIT: He's had 121 contested possessions so that's probably what he was looking at.

Last edited:
Looking at his stat's this year Brodie is rated ELITE in the following categories, some of which you would not expect to see a ruckman figuring:
Frees For, Bounces, Centre Clearances, stoppage Clearances, Total Clearances, Disposals, Handballs, Rebound 50's, Effective Kicks, Effective Disposals, Contested Possessions, Uncontested Possessions, Ground Ball Gets and Score Involvements.
He really is a special talent and would leave a massive hole if he left.

According to the AFL stats page he's averaged 4 tackles per game so I don't know where this guy gets his information??
EDIT: He's had 121 contested possessions so that's probably what he was looking at.

That was my assumption as well! It's a mighty effort, but he gets so much of the ball that the reality is that it's a somewhat meaningless number. If he was going that well for HO to advantage I'd take notice. Sadly he's not.

City of churches, bloody 60 zones everywhere, its like a big country town, exactly my thoughts, more opportunities?? Ah I don't think so....

Lol

Heard of mark who owns 12 pubs you know the football director
Heard of Rory
Heard of graham cornes

Heard of Adelaide hospital
What about Adelaide university
( rated higher than Latrobe)

Heard of a two team town
Heard of his family and his mates who all come across to watch him play

Heard of tim broomhead ( fair chance he's getting delisted and going back too)

Loyal
Local

Personally I think Grundy will stay. We can get to 1 million a season pretty comfortably I would have thought. Given by the end of 2020 we'll have 900K cleared in the cap fro Wells and Mayne gone. I'm sure we'll put together a 3rd party deal that the AFL clear to help as well.

In the end, I think Grundy's Adelaide talk was just him keeping Ned Guy on his toes and making sure we don't take him for granted. I don't know too many players from Adelaide who come to Melbourne and legitimately want to go back to Adelaide during their peak. Also...it's Adelaide. It's a quick trip by both car and plane. I doubt the Club has ever denied Brodie a request to go home and see the family.

But on the unlucky chance he DOES want to leave legitimately, at least we know we'll be getting a shitload back in return. Grundy is worth at minimum the number 1 draft pick they're getting from Carlton this year.
Wouldn't it be an end of 2020 deal in which case Adelaide won't still have the 2019 pick they get from Carlton?

Grundy is worth 2 early first rounders but that's hard fo a club to source. It would more likley be 2020 and 2021 first round picks with a bit of mayo.

Wouldn't it be an end of 2020 deal in which case Adelaide won't still have the 2019 pick they get from Carlton?

Grundy is worth 2 early first rounders but that's hard fo a club to source. It would more likley be 2020 and 2021 first round picks with a bit of mayo.
Mate you trade early when you have leverage

All soccer
All basketball
All baseball

And it's going to get worse

Lucky we have ned

Lol

Heard of Rory
Heard of graham cornes

Heard of a two team town

Loyal
Local

Jesus. You know it's difficult to market a city when Graham Cornes is considered a positive part of the sales pitch.

Brodie, we've got a great offer that will give you the opportunity to live in the same city as Graham Cornes. You'll have Kochie just down the road too.

Just had a look at the tackle stats and Grundy does seem to be the top ruckman so its not completely wrong

Lol

Heard of Rory
Heard of graham cornes

Heard of a two team town

Loyal
Local
LOL!!!

They have Melbourne well and truly covered for opportunity it seems. :drunk:

Ned Guy and Nathan Buckley will 100% be approaching Grundy THIS season to ask him if he's staying so that if he's not, they can get the number 1 draft pick from Adelaide this year.

We will know at the end of the 2019 season whether we're keeping Grundy or not.

Last edited:
Jesus. You know it's difficult to market a city when Graham Cornes is considered a positive part of the sales pitch.

Brodie, we've got a great offer that will give you the opportunity to live in the same city as Graham Cornes. You'll have Kochie just down the road too.
The point is
Cornes never came over
Ebert same
Robram same

Why because they were all given incentive to stay

Plenty of opportunities in a two team town with the States elite behind them

Toyota dealerships

s**t there that loaded they might even give him a hospital or a research grant

We don't have that pull

For those who think sth australian teams can't land players

Fitzgerald pinched by sturt

PHIL Carmen didn't come for years

Rick davies
Greg Phillips

How's motlops restraunt supply business another example

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point is
Cornes never came over
Ebert same
Robram same

Why because they were all given incentive to stay

Plenty of opportunities in a two team town with the States elite behind them

Toyota dealerships

**** there that loaded they might even give him a hospital or a research grant

We don't have that pull

You're having to go a fair way back in time to find some examples. Back to a very different financial time for top shelf footballers, back to when they could not financially set themselves up from their football earnings alone.

The only modern example I can think of is Pavlich. Every end of contract we heard about the same pull from family and friends and the same pull for financial reasons and he renewed his contract in WA every time.

South Australia no longer produces Toyotas. They no longer produce anything except for wine and a bit of mining. The fact that Pavlich is the only modern example that I can think of in either direction also suggests that nowadays they very rarely produce quality footballers anymore. Poor old South Australia. The free state. Free of convicts and now free of production.

Mate you trade early when you have leverage
Ned Guy and Nathan Buckley will 100% be approaching Grundy THIS season to ask him if he's staying so that if he's not, they can get the number 1 draft pick from Adelaide this year.

I don't doubt they will approach the subject but if Grundy says he will play out the contract and make a decision during the year or even at the end of that year they will likely let it play out and back themselves to hold him. I just can't see them giving up unless Grundy says he is definately going - which I can't see him saying.

I get the leverage of the contract in the trade negotiation but I just don't think we'll force the issue unless we really think it's already over. This isn't a Beams scenario where is is unhappy with aspects of the club and has compelling familly helth issues to consider.

I am not entirely comfortable with the risk but that's how I think it will play out unless Grundy says he wants to go and our hand is forced.

Last edited:
You're having to go a fair way back in time to find some examples. Back to a very different financial time for top shelf footballers, back to when they could not financially set themselves up from their football earnings alone.

The only modern example I can think of is Pavlich. Every end of contract we heard about the same pull from family and friends and the same pull for financial reasons and he renewed his contract in WA every time.

South Australia no longer produces Toyotas. They no longer produce anything except for wine and a bit of mining. The fact that Pavlich is the only modern example that I can think of in either direction also suggests that nowadays they very rarely produce quality footballers anymore. Poor old South Australia. The free state. Free of convicts and now free of production.

Toyota Camry crows

Cornes and ricutto have Toyota dealerships

PAv done well , channel 7 and works with miners also has pubs and restraunts also in with ahg
( cars)
Also on a huge huge contract

They will offer 10000000 over 6

He will get the same again in business opportunities

2 team town supported by (50% of state afl support)

They'll do what suits them

Toyota Camry crows

Cornes and ricutto have Toyota dealerships

PAv done well , channel 7 and works with miners also has pubs and restraunts also in with ahg
( cars)
Also on a huge huge contract

They will offer 10000000 over 6

He will get the same again in business opportunities

2 team town supported by (50% of state afl support)

They'll do what suits them

Financially, he may be better off going to a club like Adelaide, WCE or Fremantle, but we're all motivated differently. Maybe I'm less financially ambitious than Brodie Grundy, but if I was comparing two options that both resulted in me being incredibly comfortable financially with a heap of financial opportunities likely to extend well beyond my footy career, I wouldn't be making my decision based on which club offered me more financially, because I'm in great shape either way. I'd be making my decision based on the city, lifestyle, personal connections, and likelihood of being satisfied with achievement. With my personal priorities, I'd stay put if I was happy there or if I was to move, I'd move to the Sunshine Coast for all year round beaches and play for Brisbane.

Looking at his stat's this year Brodie is rated ELITE in the following categories, some of which you would not expect to see a ruckman figuring:
Frees For, Bounces, Centre Clearances, stoppage Clearances, Total Clearances, Disposals, Handballs, Rebound 50's, Effective Kicks, Effective Disposals, Contested Possessions, Uncontested Possessions, Ground Ball Gets and Score Involvements.
He really is a special talent and would leave a massive hole if he left.

Yes but what if we traded him for pick 1 and then there's a tiny chance pick 1 becomes as good as him?

Financially, he may be better off going to a club like Adelaide, WCE or Fremantle, but we're all motivated differently. Maybe I'm less financially ambitious than Brodie Grundy, but if I was comparing two options that both resulted in me being incredibly comfortable financially with a heap of financial opportunities likely to extend well beyond my footy career, I wouldn't be making my decision based on which club offered me more financially, because I'm in great shape either way. I'd be making my decision based on the city, lifestyle, personal connections, and likelihood of being satisfied with achievement. With my personal priorities, I'd stay put if I was happy there or if I was to move, I'd move to the Sunshine Coast for all year round beaches and play for Brisbane.

All is true and each is different

However his best mates his family are there

His best mate and flat mate here could get delisted

Big family guy

My suggestion if he ain't signed by finals or broomy gets delisted

Look out

No doubt, unless Grundy initiates signing long term before end of this season, club would want a decision from Brodie regarding his long term plans. I have absolutely no doubt he should be able to openly let the club know his intentions by end of this year. With that said, if we were to win the flag this year, it may make his decision easier.

Last edited:
No doubt, unless Grundy initiates signing long term before end of this season, club would want a decision from Brodie regarding his long term plans. I have absolutely no doubt he should be able to openly let the club know his intentions by end of this year. With that said, if we were to win the flag this year, it may make his decision easier.

If I was the Club, I'd be forcing the issue this year.

How often does a football club get the chance to win the flag AND net the number 1 draft pick in the same year? I don't think it's ever happened before.

If I was the Club, I'd be forcing the issue this year.

How often does a football club get the chance to win the flag AND net the number 1 draft pick in the same year? I don't think it's ever happened before.
I don't doubt this'll be the case. Brodie being an individual who loves the club, too, I'm sure will want Collingwood to receive adequate compensation.

I don't doubt this'll be the case. Brodie being an individual who loves the club, too, I'm sure will want Collingwood to receive adequate compensation.

He not Leaving so that won't matter anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back