Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bloke is being made the scapegoat for our poor season for no reason other than his high wage. Not only has he been in our best 2 players this year, he'd be in the best 2 or 3 performed ruckmen in the league over the first 10 rounds.

Yesterday, he was the best ruckman, the best inside midfielder and the best clearance player on the ground by miles, kicked multiple goals and was a tackling machine to boot. Still, people criticised him.

He is constantly potted because of our lack of centre clearances, but Gawn would be in the same boat if he didn't have elite inside mids at his feet. Our midfield isn't just bad, it's a contender for worst in the league. Grundy is elite, but he can't make our midfield good regardless of how much he gets paid.

He'd have to be tracking for the All Australian team again.

Was at the ground and watched Grundy’s running patterns, the pressure he placed on opposition, second efforts etc

Watched him through my phone to magnify taps and often our mids were clumsy in gathering

His tackles also hurt and he drives opposition into the ground - Wines really copped some pain and he is a bull

Grundy was excellent

TV footage would not have captured the quality of his play

If he consistently plays like this for another 6 years, he will give us value

Along with Moore, he is elite

I see most of our games live. I see the hard work and efforts of Grundy which, as you and others note, you don’t see on TV. Then I come in here after a game (although not this game) and I read the anti-Grundy posts, and I sometimes think I’ve been watching another game.

I don’t think he’s regained the AA form of 2018 and 2019, but he’s not that far below it. I think he maybe tries too hard sometimes, to plug some of our many holes. I also think he is harshly judged, probably because of his salary. But at worst what are we overpaying him by - $150k?

I see most of our games live. I see the hard work and efforts of Grundy which, as you and others note, you don’t see on TV. Then I come in here after a game (although not this game) and I read the anti-Grundy posts, and I sometimes think I’ve been watching another game.

I don’t think he’s regained the AA form of 2018 and 2019, but he’s not that far below it. I think he maybe tries too hard sometimes, to plug some of our many holes. I also think he is harshly judged, probably because of his salary. But at worst what are we overpaying him by - $150k?

And we underpaid him by about $400,000 in 2018 and 2019, so who cares.

Yesterday, he was the best ruckman, the best inside midfielder and the best clearance player on the ground by miles, kicked multiple goals and was a tackling machine to boot. Still, people criticised him.
Really noticed it yesterday was he off the ground for a final spell in the last quarter. I get the principle of the science behind it, a short breath so he finishes stronger, but PA kicked a couple of crucial goals from clearances during that period.

So Grundy out of the side for 2 weeks, Pies get 2 wins, including against the ladder-leading/flag hopeful Melbourne (who aren't too flag hopeful after that)

I know Grundy is straight back into the team when fit again, but you have to wonder...

So Grundy out of the side for 2 weeks, Pies get 2 wins, including against the ladder-leading/flag hopeful Melbourne (who aren't too flag hopeful after that)

I know Grundy is straight back into the team when fit again, but you have to wonder...

The Whole Team played better and Bucks allowed us to be more Attacking

Gee

Alot of ppl off Grundy

Massive contract yes

But he is a gun

Myself like many others suggest play him as a ruck rover....honestly think it could be a game changing move

why did we then sign him to the highest possible contract
Fear of losing him.
I spoke with a former Club employee, (not ours) and he said that’s one of the big mistakes clubs make.
They pay overs as they’re scared to lose them.

Fear of losing him.
I spoke with a former Club employee, (not ours) and he said that’s one of the big mistakes clubs make.
Not sure all clubs do that, we seem to be the only club who had to have a fire sale due to our salary cap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fear of losing him.
For sure, and I get that for Grundy is a star. Phillips, Stevenson, Cox and even Degoey not so much and definitely not worth their pay packet.

Add in the last qtr he was injured and wow the team, especially our midfield, plays so much better and more attacking without him.

Makes a difference when a ruckman is getting the ball further than his own feet

I would never question Grundy's effort or attitude, it's his effectiveness given the number of times he gets his hands on the pill which worries me. I genuinely thought Lynch rucked far better in that first half against Gawn than anything I've seen from Grundy this year. He was palming the ball three metres clear to running players and our clearances looked cleaner and more damaging. Grundy continues to drop the pill at his feet and more often than not at the feet of the opposition.

Gee

Alot of ppl off Grundy

Massive contract yes

But he is a gun

Myself like many others suggest play him as a ruck rover....honestly think it could be a game changing move

Agree - we now have far more options (given how well Lynch and Cameron are playing) in how we can use Grundy - including in the fwd mix.
The right fwd mix, might just negate the need and cost of getting a gun fwd.

Gee

Alot of ppl off Grundy

Massive contract yes

But he is a gun

Guns are matchwinners. Is Brodie a matchwinner? I think Elliott, Adams, Pendles, Moore and DeGoey all have the capacity to turn the tide of a game. I can't think of too many times where Grundy has been a matchwinner. That flukey snap against Richmond was nice.

Guns are matchwinners. Is Brodie a matchwinner? I think Elliott, Adams, Pendles, Moore and DeGoey all have the capacity to turn the tide of a game. I can't think of too many times where Grundy has been a matchwinner. That flukey snap against Richmond was nice.
I'd suggest you're not trying particularly hard then. 2017-2019 he willed us to some victories. His monster game effort against the Dogs in '19 springs to mind immediately, just for one example

I'd suggest you're not trying particularly hard then. 2017-2019 he willed us to some victories. His monster game effort against the Dogs in '19 springs to mind immediately, just for one example
I'm probably being harsh but his ruckwork annoys the crap out of me and has for a long time. Just a coincidence we have looked so good coming out of the middle since he has been out?

I would never question Grundy's effort or attitude, it's his effectiveness given the number of times he gets his hands on the pill which worries me. I genuinely thought Lynch rucked far better in that first half against Gawn than anything I've seen from Grundy this year. He was palming the ball three metres clear to running players and our clearances looked cleaner and more damaging. Grundy continues to drop the pill at his feet and more often than not at the feet of the opposition.
If there's one thing I'd add to Grundy's game, it's punching the ball out of the ruck half a dozen times a game.

Make a set play out of it if possible, but he's got to add some variety so he's not so predictable.

Just need to put some doubt in the opposition players minds, rather than the same thing every single time for his entire career.

If there's one thing I'd add to Grundy's game, it's punching the ball out of the ruck half a dozen times a game.

Make a set play out of it if possible, but he's got to add some variety so he's not so predictable.

Just need to put some doubt in the opposition players minds, rather than the same thing every single time for his entire career.
I think a new coaching panel will result in greater variety regarding Grundy's hit zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back