Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Either that or spiking it forward - he has to stop dropping it at his feet, the opposition are just waiting there.
I think the coaches may have been worried about our pace in there and not wanted the loose ball to get into the open, but when JDG and crisp are in there pace is a strength.

I think the coaches may have been worried about our pace in there and not wanted the loose ball to get into the open, but when JDG and crisp are in there pace is a strength.
Yes the dynamics have changed.

The biggest problem with Grundy's contract is Collingwood with Grundy lost to Brisbane with 2 ruckmen who had 3 games experience between them

Collingwood beat Melbourne with Gawn with a ruckman in his 3rd game

So clearly paying a ruckman $7 million is a complete waste of money!!!

Grundy might be in the top 3 ruckmen in the game, but history shows a key forward is far more important than a great ruckman.

The biggest problem with Grundy's contract is Collingwood with Grundy lost to Brisbane with 2 ruckmen who had 3 games experience between them

Grundy might be in the top 3 ruckmen in the game, but history shows a key forward is far more important than a great ruckman.

I don't recall Plugger, Ablett or Bernie Quinlan winning too many premiership medallions. I recall the Madden brothers wearing way too bloody many.
I recall the Hawthorn juggernaut continuing after Buddy left. I recall us going to Port without any chance because Buckley and Burns were out and I recall us coming home with a glorious win. History shows us that it's a team game and teams overcome the presence or absence of great players all the time - regardless of their position. Your little anecdotes don't show anything clearly at all.

Last edited:
Surely a new coach lets him do that again…
I don't think I'll ever get over the roboticness of our tactics during that prelim with the repeat stoppages in the dying minutes. Mummy was staying down and wasn't even competing in the air. Pendles spoke to Grundy before every bounce. How could neither of them have said stuff this plan - just grab it and kick it to the top of the square or smash it into the clear for someone to run on to.

I don't think I'll ever get over the roboticness of our tactics during that prelim with the repeat stoppages in the dying minutes. Mummy was staying down and wasn't even competing in the air. Pendles spoke to Grundy before every bounce. How could neither of them have said stuff this plan - just grab it and kick it to the top of the square or smash it into the clear for someone to run on to.

I still have nightmares
I was at the game behind the goals yelling ‘just bash the ball forward FFS!!!’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still have nightmares
I was at the game behind the goals yelling ‘just bash the ball forward FFS!!!’
Or just grab the bl00dy thing and kick it through when it was that ball-up at the top of the square with a min or 2 left.

We had clean takeaways on Monday for the first time in a long time

That’s nearly the dumbest logic I’ve ever seen.

On second thoughts, take out the nearly.

I don't recall Plugger, Ablett or Bernie Quinlan winning too many premiership medallions. I recall the Madden brothers wearing way too bloody many.
I recall the Hawthorn juggernaut continuing after Buddy left. I recall us going to Port without any chance because Buckley and Burns were out and I recall us coming home with a glorious win. History shows us that it's a team game and teams overcome the presence or absence of great players all the time - regardless of their position. Your little anecdotes don't show anything clearly at all.
Winning a one off game here and there does not make a team. You need consistent performance at the top. Teams with good forwards even without a top ruckman have done that more often than not. Even you have to admit we have been getting more clearances the last few weeks when Grundy was not there.

Winning a one off game here and there does not make a team. You need consistent performance at the top. Teams with good forwards even without a top ruckman have done that more often than not. Even you have to admit we have been getting more clearances the last few weeks when Grundy was not there.

Actually, we're not. We average 33.5 clearances a game this year, we got 31 against the Crows, 34 against the Dees.

Clearance numbers in and of themselves don't tell the full story. We've lost the clearance battle in 3 of our 4 victories, won it in 4 of our 9 losses. The bigger question in my view is "next possession" which tells the story of the quality of your clearances and your ball use.

Last edited:

Different teams have dominated with different strengths. Cam Mooney was ok, but the cats dominated through their mids, defence and brilliant medium forwards.

My only issue is the club were held to ransom with his contract demands (much like cloke did back in 2012)

The only demand he made was the tenure of 7 years. I'd imagine he paid a pretty price to get that.

My only issue is the club were held to ransom with his contract demands (much like cloke did back in 2012)

How where the Held to Ransom when he had over a Year left on his Contract?

I agree, and it can't be a coincidence that after that contract Cloke was never really the same again and either is grundy so far, hopefully Grundy can get back to that steller form of a couple of years ago with a new coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back