Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rumoured Crows offer put his market value at significantly north of $1M. I'd have thought he signed for significantly south of $1M to get that 7 year concession. Not inconceivable that's a TPP saving of $700k or more across the life of his deal. Sounds like a negotiation rather than a ransom to me.

Reportedly Crows offered 1.1 @5 and he signed for 950k @7 near enough to a mil.

I am amazed at his drop in form.
But this started before the contract kicked in.
Another thing I have noticed besides being targeted with 2 big bash and crash ruckman.
Grundy seems to become reactive and not proactive.

He often gets pushed around by rucks these days has dropped his strength work in the gym and its been evident for a few years now. He only monsters 18 to 20 yo twigs, once they bulk up it ends like English.

Salary aside I've always thought he lacks mongrel and isn't really invested in the game most of the time.

He didn't lack mongrel when he first came to the club, he was instructed to tone it down as they tried to correct the free kicks he was giving away.

Personally I believe you let the people with fire play on the edge and accept they will cross the line here and there and give up frees occasionally.

He over corrected found Gandhi and dropped off his weights to become what you described.

Reportedly Crows offered 1.1 @5 and he signed for 950k @7 near enough to a mil.

We’ll never know the exact figures but even at that it’s about a 15% discount.

Lynchs connection with the mids against Melbourne shat all over Grundys.
Get a chuckle out of this. He hit it directly to a Collingwood player three times. Same as Darcy Cameron. His hitout to advantage % was the lowest of anyone who contested in the ruck in that game, and he attended the most ruck contests of anyone.

Get a chuckle out of this. He hit it directly to a Collingwood player three times. Same as Darcy Cameron. His hitout to advantage % was the lowest of anyone who contested in the ruck in that game, and he attended the most ruck contests of anyone.

Not about just direct taps but taps that go to a mids advantage often to space to run on too are better then direct hits inside the contest (where they either get swamped or rush kick for turn over).

Its also about keeping opposition mids honest and guessing. Grundy is TOO predictable, has admittedly improved a fair bit in the area this season imo but prior too etc...

Not about just direct taps but taps that go to a mids advantage often to space to run on too are better then direct hits inside the contest (where they either get swamped or rush kick for turn over).

Its also about keeping opposition mids honest and guessing. Grundy is TOO predictable, has admittedly improved a fair bit in the area this season imo but prior too etc...
I don't recall Lynch hitting to space too often, especially as doing so is against our coaching directives (or at least was under Bucks).

But I do agree. As our midfield has become less and less dynamic, teams can structure at the stoppage entirely around Grundy. I think our lack of mid talent is as problematic as Grundy's hit areas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if it was for 4 years no one would have a real issue given his form at the time, the length at that price is the real problem its ridiculous contract for a ruckmen especially his type.

So shoot the person who negotiated the contracts....don't denigrate the player because his manager was able to get him the $$$. Players don't attend negotiations, managers do. I'm not saying you do btw Loki....but enough's enough people. Grundy didn't do anything...his manager got his client a long term deal on big $$$. If I'm a player I'd be looking at that manager.

So shoot the person who negotiated the contracts....don't denigrate the player because his manager was able to get him the $$$. Players don't attend negotiations, managers do. I'm not saying you do btw Loki....but enough's enough people. Grundy didn't do anything...his manager got his client a long term deal on big $$$. If I'm a player I'd be looking at that manager.
Exactly!

Grundy is his managers boss. His manager does as Grundy requests. Grundy asks for highest pay I can get at longest term possible.

Cop out to indicate this isn’t on Grundy.

Greedy pig who hamstrings us unless he plays to his contract value. He’s not playing anyway near a $1M player.

Eddie McGuire once commented in relation to (I think) Josh Kelly that if you ask for and receive the mega bucks then you have to be prepared for all that goes with it... not only the dollars, but the profile, the pressure, the expectation and the envy. He noted that not everyone can handle those things, not everyone can be 'The Man'...

An unexpectedly erudite observation by the ex-Pres...

And yet we looked better.. Lynch does the basics and just rucks, Grundy tries to hard and cooks himself.

Eddie McGuire once commented in relation to (I think) Josh Kelly that if you ask for and receive the mega bucks then you have to be prepared for all that goes with it... not only the dollars, but the profile, the pressure, the expectation and the envy. He noted that not everyone can handle those things, not everyone can be 'The Man'...

An unexpectedly erudite observation by the ex-Pres...

Surprising the level of envy here though, especially from people who claim to be supporters. Look up "tall poppy syndrome" and there's a link to the Grundy thread on BF.

I think he’s been worked out, younger rucks seem to be doing better against him now days, he doesn’t have the dominance he had 3 years ago, he tries his guts out but just doesn’t seem to have it anymore, s**t happens.

Grundy is his managers boss. His manager does as Grundy requests. Grundy asks for highest pay I can get at longest term possible.

Cop out to indicate this isn’t on Grundy.

Greedy pig who hamstrings us unless he plays to his contract value. He’s not playing anyway near a $1M player.
That STILL isn't the problem.

ONLY the club can accept a contract offer.

Blame the club.

It's almost as if you didn't read the article. One of the main points is that this has been the case for 3 of the last 4 years...

It's also a bit silly. The number of bounces that Grundy hasn't attended would be miniscule. The number of bounces not attended by Grundy but by the opposition #1 ruck would be even smaller. We're also winning CBs with Grundy at the same rate as when we were Grand and Preliminary finalists with, give or take half a percent.

If anything, this article clearly indicates that the fault is not with Grundy, if his efforts at centre bounces mirror that of years when he was the AA ruckman of a contending team. Nice
Like Samson before him, I don't think that cutting his hair has helped. Short hair somehow makes him look more vulnerable. The bun helped promote a sort of cult image. He seemed to represent the new age 'thinking man' but with a heart. Then we discovered his heart wasn't in hubs or even premierships. We weren't sure if this was the sort of heart we want embedded in the chest of someone being touted as a future captain.

The last act in the circumstances should have been to cut off his bun. :rolleyes:

Ruckmen aren't allowed to "physically maul" opponents anymore. As a matter of fact the intent to do so gets the umps offside immediately and Grundy has often been penalised in the past for being too "physical" (what you and I would simply say "Being too strong for his opponent"). There's no room now for "contested animals" at a centre bounce....they have to be vertical jumpers.

Photographs published on the AFL website clearly show Silvagni doing his very best impersonation of his dad SOS having his arms around Grundy at a ruck contest. If a defender does that he's pinged automatically but it seems to be fair game for ruck contests (or at least Silvagni got away with it on the weekend).

The golden era of ruckwork when different shaped ruckmen (think Nicholls, Thompson, Farmer, Dempsey, Ditterich) allowed ruckmen to play to their own strengths. Thompson was athletic, Nicholls and Farmer were short rucks that used their body to protect the ball drop, Ditterich was a battering ram and Dempsey was that tall, gangly giraffe type ruckman. These days with the silly "Safety rules" ruckmen HAVE to be able to jump vertically 90-100cm off 3-4 paces (like a basketball centre) to contest a centre bounce. Grundy is fantastic around the ground, but he's unsuited to be a centre bounce dominant ruckman....so he tries to get clearances himself.

Soz for the late reply, and if what you say is true, which I agree with.

Then the club should be able to negotiate down his contract, only fair, Brodes can't use his best weapon then we shouldn't pay him so much. We can use the tpp elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back