Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assume the older players were new once and were given the advice when starting off - then again some players might need weekly /daily / hourly reminders

Years ago I met Ben Kennedy at a Pies function. The tickets came from our (then) BF sponsorship of Tay Adams. When I was introduced to Ben, as one of the 'Big Footy sponsors', he looked a bit shocked and said something about never visiting the site as he'd heard it was 'vicious'.

I don't think we can just blame the previous administration when the current administration is basically making the exact same moves. Signing Darcy Moore on a 6 year contract at $900k+ when he's not even in AA contention. What's the bet we'll try offload him in 2 years time offering to pay $300k p.a. of his contract? At the time, Grundy was in much more dominant form and more deserving of his contract than Moore or JDG currently.

Not to mention offering bog average McStay at $600k for 5 seasons. Another Mayne type contract mistake waiting to happen.

For once, if we don't currently have salary cap troubles, I just want to see us consolidate our list, have some stability and let Hine work his magic. Hit the national draft with players like Henry/McCreery/Ginnivan, dominate the mid season draft with the Johnsons/Nobles/Carmichaels and only target low cost moneyball trades like Lipinski/Cameron.

We've never had success with big money trades where we've gotten a player that can be consistently in contention for AA. Always end up overpaying for only above average players. Remember, Wright was responsible for the disastrous O'Meara and Chad Wingard acquisitions for Hawthorn. Not someone I would fully trust on that front.

I totally agree. All these trades are just predictably unpredictable. We don't NEED McStay unless it's at a decent price for us -- we have Kruger, Mihocek, the resting ruckman, Cameron as a forward (if we keep Grundy), then a number of mid-sized forward in Henry and Johnson and then some developing key back and anyone we draft. I get that Mc Stay will bring another hardworking tall forward to take the pressure off Mihocek, but not at too big a price.

Don't get me started on trading out our two best clearance players (and two of our best mids) in De Goey and Grundy.

Years ago I met Ben Kennedy at a Pies function. The tickets came from our (then) BF sponsorship of Tay Adams. When I was introduced to Ben, as one of the 'Big Footy sponsors', he looked a bit shocked and said something about never visiting the site as he'd heard it was 'vicious'.
Are you sure he wasn't referring to you specifically?

Are you sure he wasn't referring to you specifically?

not nice martin freeman GIF by BBC

That was kind of Kennedy. He could have said so much more:

It's also unbalanced, short sighted, lacking in memory, illogical, lacking in empathy and ill informed.

Basically, it's narcissistic and borderline personality disorders online. :)

Please tell me this is a nightmare JMac.

We are going to trade an All Australian and pay him to play for another club. We are going to trade one of our best clearance players when we have issues with clearances and pay him to play against us. We are going to trade an excellent running midfielder, when we need to strengthen our midfield and pay him to make another team’s midfield stronger.

This is all a result of our good form. Had we lost 5 of the close ones this wouldn’t be on the cards at all.

Our current combination was beaten by Melbourne’s rucks and smashed by Essendon’s Draper. If Grundy goes I’ll look forward to half the BF posters moaning in a year and saying “why did we trade Grundy!? I was always opposed to it!”
Depends on the $$$$ - $1M a year is just fckn insane.

If we can drop $700K a year off, pay DeGoo what he wants and get McStay it will work out.

This is where Wright really has to earn his $$$.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As to those reports that he likes the coaching but doesn't like admin . . . . . .?

As a player he deals with coaches, fitness staff etc.,

If it's true that he's sulking because of the board then he's totally off with the fairies.

I think there is 2 different aspects to this. A lot of posters seem to have been arguing that grundy should take a pay cut on the is basis he contract is a dud and he is being overpaid relative to his performance. If the club is pushing Grundy to take a paycut on that basis id be surprised if he agreed in fact id be surprised if any players agreed to reduce their existing contract for that reason

If the club has targeted a specific players they think will bring success and need grundy (and/or other players) to reduce their current contract in order to fit them into the salary cap them i thinks it reasonable of the club to ask the question of grundy. These are they type of scenarios where you hear about players taking a ‘haircut’ on their existing contract (eg riewoldt and other richmond player with tom lynch)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is 2 different aspects to this. A lot of posters seem to have been arguing that grundy should take a pay cut on the is basis he contract is a dud and he is being overpaid relative to his performance. If the club is pushing Grundy to take a paycut on that basis id be surprised if he agreed in fact id be surprised if any players agreed to reduce their existing contract for that reason

If the club has targeted a specific players they think will bring success and need grundy (and/or other players) to reduce their current contract in order to fit them into the salary cap them i thinks it reasonable of the club to ask the question of grundy. These are they type of scenarios where you hear about players taking a ‘haircut’ on their existing contract (eg riewoldt and other richmond player with tom lynch)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This has Wright's fingerprints all over it - consider the club culture where he comes from - I wouldn't be surprised if Wrighty has a couple of irons in the fire warming nicely.

Was never going to work. Million a year for a ruck is bulldust, hes overrated.

It’s an interesting discussion.

In fantasy NFL, we talk about the value of “onesie” positions, for example QB. In most fantasy leagues you only have to roster one QB, and there are obviously 32 starters in the actual NFL so there isn’t a lot of scarcity at the position. As a result, in fantasy leagues (not the actual NFL) QBs are not highly valued. Whereas you usually start 2-3 running backs and 2-3 receivers, and so there is more demand for these positions and the good ones are worth a lot.

I think of ruck as a “onesie” position. If you have an absolutely elite one, they’re worth a bit in terms of giving you a competitive advantage over an opponent. However their replacement value is so low, it shouldn’t take much of an investment to get at least a league average one.

I tend to agree with what seems like Wright’s philosophy; you need a decent ruck so you don’t get smashed in the middle, you can have someone drop in the hole and take marks to support your defence, and someone to be the outlet on kickouts or snag a goal up forward. Having a dominant ruck is almost a waste of resources.

And I say this having lived through the post-Monkey, pre-Jolly years. Yikes!

It’s an interesting discussion.

In fantasy NFL, we talk about the value of “onesie” positions, for example QB. In most fantasy leagues you only have to roster one QB, and there are obviously 32 starters in the actual NFL so there isn’t a lot of scarcity at the position. As a result, in fantasy leagues (not the actual NFL) QBs are not highly valued. Whereas you usually start 2-3 running backs and 2-3 receivers, and so there is more demand for these positions and the good ones are worth a lot.

I think of ruck as a “onesie” position. If you have an absolutely elite one, they’re worth a bit in terms of giving you a competitive advantage over an opponent. However their replacement value is so low, it shouldn’t take much of an investment to get at least a league average one.

I tend to agree with what seems like Wright’s philosophy; you need a decent ruck so you don’t get smashed in the middle, you can have someone drop in the hole and take marks to support your defence, and someone to be the outlet on kickouts or snag a goal up forward. Having a dominant ruck is almost a waste of resources.

And I say this having lived through the post-Monkey, pre-Jolly years. Yikes!
Josh doesn’t like this.

That was kind of Kennedy. He could have said so much more:

It's also unbalanced, short sighted, lacking in memory, illogical, lacking in empathy and ill informed.

Basically, it's narcissistic and borderline personality disorders online. :)
Are you talking about me?, I feel like you're talking about me, is everyone talking about me? Can you see the person standing next to me?

Definitely under our cap.
Definitely under our cap - we literally pay the weekly/monthly amount and issue a PAYG Summary at year end to the player.

But honestly I don't believe 100% in the salary cap and that it is complied with.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back