Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not having been a part of the winning combination over the last 11 weeks can't have positively influenced Brodie's willingness to take a cut or stay at the club. De Goey has blossomed as a player through being involved in this stampede toward a premiership, and I suspect this involvement has helped convince him to stay. Grundy's injuries could not have happened at a worse time for him and his future at Collingwood. If we win the premiership without him, there's a real danger he will be seen as superfluous at the club.

There is no common sense in just thinking he will recover his best form,this is his 3rd down season in a row and to expect him to turn it around is just wishful thinking.I know you are going to say he was injured this season but for me he did not look all that flash before the injury,another thing is after 3 poor yrs in row he should be willing to take a pay cut to stay if he is as loyal to the club as you surmise personally I am not so sure you are right in fact I think you are delusional about him.

The ball is in Grundys court and we will see how loyal he is,personally if he took a $250 000 pay cut I would keep him but only if he accepted a cut and as I outlined he should accept just on the basis of 3 s--- yrs in a row.
I have faith Fly will get Grundy playing well as he’s done with other players.
It is nonsensical to dismiss this possibility outright.
Just absurd frankly.

Not having been a part of the winning combination over the last 11 weeks can't have positively influenced Brodie's willingness to take a cut or stay at the club. De Goey has blossomed as a player through being involved in this stampede toward a premiership, and I suspect this involvement has helped convince him to stay. Grundy's injuries could not have happened at a worse time for him and his future at Collingwood. If we win the premiership without him, there's a real danger he will be seen as superfluous at the club.
Grundy’s quality will not diminish with a Flag win. To suggest he’d be superfluous just makes no sense. Would Moore have been superfluous if we’d won the 2018 flag?

Fly saying we’re better with Grundy, just means his inclusion will improve the team, even after a flag win.

Last edited:
Grundy’s quality will not diminish with a Flag win. To suggest he’d be superfluous does makes no sense. Would Moore have been superfluous if we’d won the 2018 flag?

Fly saying we’re better with Grundy, just means his inclusion will improve the team, even after a flag win.
Moore was and is vital to the structure of the team, particularly given that the list is not overburdened with KPP's. Grundy on the evidence of his last 2 and a half years and with Cox and Cameron playing well is less vital to the structure.

I am not hell bent on trading Grundy, but the club appears to see some possible value in doing so, even at substantial financial loss. I'm interested to see where this media speculation leads. Maybe there are other ways to improve the team which are preferable to what Grundy may contribute.

The club botched Mayne's, Phillips', Treloar's and above all Beams' contracts.

Tell me again how this contract is Grundy,'s fault?

Do people really think our former administrations are the real footy club and the players somehow prevented Eddie from lifting the cup?

A lot of nonsense being talked. You dont like the contract? Your problem is with Eddie.

Hate directed at Grundy, Treloar (when he was with us) etc is hate directed at the footy club. Hating a loyal player because of a contract someone else offered is irrational in my view. Its like being angry at your car because you spent too much on petrol.

Id be amazed if this happened considering how hell bent him and his manager was on getting his 7 yr contract
The huge contracts do have two sides right? Great for financial security, but an absolute anchor of your output doesn’t match and/or if it puts too much pressure on the cap.

Hopefully Collingwood doesn’t make these errors again. Geelong seems to be the benchmark in salary cap management.

There is no common sense in just thinking he will recover his best form,this is his 3rd down season in a row and to expect him to turn it around is just wishful thinking.I know you are going to say he was injured this season but for me he did not look all that flash before the injury,another thing is after 3 poor yrs in row he should be willing to take a pay cut to stay if he is as loyal to the club as you surmise personally I am not so sure you are right in fact I think you are delusional about him.

The ball is in Grundys court and we will see how loyal he is,personally if he took a $250 000 pay cut I would keep him but only if he accepted a cut and as I outlined he should accept just on the basis of 3 s--- yrs in a row.
At his best he was sensational but it appears to be well behind him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes

made it clear that he wont be defined by winning a premiership. His priorities are $$$
Grundy doesn’t want to to referred or defined as Grundy…dual Premiership player…he would rather be defined as the person he is & other more important achievements throughout his life.
Doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to win.
He views the world differently…no crime in that.
Similar to big Max Gawn…both are different cats.
Not like Fox Footy commentators…triple Premiership player, dual All Australian etc.

Grundy doesn’t want to to referred or defined as Grundy…dual Premiership player…he would rather be defined as the person he is & other more important achievements throughout his life.
Doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to win.
He views the world differently…no crime in that.
Similar to big Max Gawn…both are different cats.
Not like Fox Footy commentators…triple Premiership player, dual All Australian etc.
That's all well and good but he's paid top $$ by a club whose key purpose is to win premierships - that's what members and supporters want

Depends on the $$$$ - $1M a year is just fckn insane.

If we can drop $700K a year off, pay DeGoo what he wants and get McStay it will work out.

This is where Wright really has to earn his $$$.

There no doubt Grundy is overpaid. But the idea of paying other clubs up to $700,000 a year for 3 years and then $400.00 for another 2 sends shivers down my spine. It's fckn insane too.

Please tell me this is a nightmare JMac.

We are going to trade an All Australian and pay him to play for another club. We are going to trade one of our best clearance players when we have issues with clearances and pay him to play against us. We are going to trade an excellent running midfielder, when we need to strengthen our midfield and pay him to make another team’s midfield stronger.

This is all a result of our good form. Had we lost 5 of the close ones this wouldn’t be on the cards at all.

Our current combination was beaten by Melbourne’s rucks and smashed by Essendon’s Draper. If Grundy goes I’ll look forward to half the BF posters moaning in a year and saying “why did we trade Grundy!? I was always opposed to it!”

Maybe you should think about that for a minute, we lose the ruck duel yet win the game but when Grundy plays he’d win the hitouts 60-10 and yet we’d lose the game…

Then tell us how a ruckman is worth $7 million…

I got over Tuddy playing for Essendon.
I got over McKenna playing for the Scum.
I got over Picken playing for Sydney.

I like Grundy, but he's nowhere near those 3.

Picken played for Sunday?! My world has just been turned upside down. Black is white. Everything sucks. I don't know who to trust anymore. I vomit on the AFL and it's lack of loyalty.

That's all well and good but he's paid top $$ by a club whose key purpose is to win premierships - that's what members and supporters want
I think Mr Grundy wants to win Premierships as well…but he doesn’t want to be defined by such.
He won’t feel that his life or his Football career is a failure…just because he didn’t win a Flag.
Similar to Bucks or Nick Riewoldt ?
They work their arses off to win one…but if it doesn’t work out…move on.

I have faith Fly will get Grundy playing well as he’s done with other players.
It is nonsensical to dismiss this possibility outright.
Just absurd frankly.
The big issue is that we're unlikely to want to use him as a linking mid, so getting the best out of him is unlikely to involve one of the things that made him dominant and separated him from other rucks.

There no doubt Grundy is overpaid. But the idea of paying other clubs up to $700,000 a year for 3 years and then $400.00 for another 2 sends shivers down my spine. It's fckn insane too.

So insane in fact, that no one has proposed paying $700k per year as you suggest.

It is interesting watching the language difference between Grundy and JDG just watching Fly’s press conference

It’s hard to hear the questions due to sound but he’s very open with “I said that after the game and I’ll say it again today” - in regards to De Goey staying

Next question about Grundy “it’s challenging for Brody” “we’ll look after him in the short term” “we can’t control the narrative”

As I said it’s hard to hear the questions but I’m certain one was around him staying next year, it’s clear they want him out if you ask me, I think some may need to get used to it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back