Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fact is, Grundy is objectively the most important player at Collingwood.

History shows Collingwood can't win a premiership without a genuinely good ruckman. So if there's a window soon, it's while Grundy is coming into - and during, his peak which is the next 5-7 years.

Moore is adequate as the second ruck/forward option so the key targets during this upcoming trade/draft period should be a key forward and key back.

On the scale of Collingwood rucks of the last half century, there are two elite players:

Len Thompson and Peter Moore.

Len being as good a ruck as you'd ever see and in the best three to play ruck since Polly Farmer (who was pre my time, but everything you read a great as ever was in the ruck.)

Thompson, Dempsey and Simon Maddern were the 3 Uber elites by position.

After Thompson Moore sits in the elite group, and kicked 70 plus goals in full forward area 1977! Super star.

Then there is the gap to A grade levels at times and only a short time but very effective in Darren Jolly. No Jolly no flag 2010 it's that simple!

Then Monkhorst.

Where does Grundy fit already? I'm of the view Monkhorst level and all but passing Jolly (we only had him short time).

I dislike the Weagles very much but Dean Cox was up there.

I dislike the Weagles very much but Dean Cox was up there.
He was a terrific ruck, but not quite Peter Moore and not the big three of Dempsey Madden Thompson

He was a terrific ruck, but not quite Peter Moore and not the big three of Dempsey Madden Thompson

Thought Salmon did pretty well for himself.

Was arguably the best forward of any ruckman that played forward.

Very good player, yes.
That knee injury cost him, was on track for the biggest haul of his type.
Finished off our own newish player, Brett Gloury, he was never the same after the fish took him to the fishmonger.

Brodie is really good but he aint worth a million per year. Just my opinion. Glad he is staying. :)

The amount is pure speculation at this stage but you'd think his contract would be structured to increase over the term with performance triggers to max it out. Even then a $1m contract is effectively a bit over $800k in current terms with the 20% TPP increase factored in.

I'd say our best ruckman since Len Thompson (uber elite) and Peter Moore (started the athletic running ruckman)

Even Jolly who brought us the flag overall in 2010 is surpassed because wasn't really with us long enough.
Agreed Saintly, Thommo was a freak and Peter was a true athlete as well as a footballer.
Grundy is slowly maturing into a fine young ruckman.

The Crows should have IMO.

In terms of what they need to become true flag contenders, they desperately need some physicality among their big men and in the middle of the ground. Sauce Jacobs will be another year older in 2018, and he's one of the softest, most overrated ruckmen in the game. People get fooled into thinking he's good because of his raw hitout and disposal numbers (even though his disposal is mediocre, and he often gets the ball in unthreatening positions and situations), and because he takes a few marks in the middle of the ground, but his tapwork is average, and his physicality around stoppages (clearances, tackling, etc.) leaves a lot to be desired. Beyond that, they really don't have a ruckman of any note on their list. Grundy could have been the difference now and into the future in Adelaide

Glad we've still got him as a major building block for our future. Takes a lot of pressure off the other midfielders when you have a proper physical ruckman doing the hard stuff around the stoppages. Can't believe he's still only 23, barely even into his prime!
I'm no expert but seems a little harsh on Jacobs.

If Grundy were being targeted by other clubs both SA clubs ruckmen are over 29 and you would think Crows have more salary cap room then Power, especially if they lose one or both of Lever & McGovern.

Considering you could get away with being like 6'1"-6'2" as a key forward or defender in those days, a lot of the time Fish genuinely had 15-20cm and 20-25kg on his opponent. Was virtually impossible to outmark one-on-one from the highlights I've seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well IF he does his Trade Value goes Up;)
Doubt he'll be traded.
Had such great height and stretch.
Madness to give that up if you have it.
Perfect back up in my view

Doubt he'll be traded.
Had such great height and stretch.
Madness to give that up if you have it.
Perfect back up in my view

There was Talk that he might look elsewhere but nothing more then just Talk.

Especially IF he want AFL Gametime

How about you wait until he actually plays before vomiting your shitty absolutes.

I seen plenty of him Play.

Only had 1 Stand-Out game vs Port.

IF he does play well in next 2-3 games he might look elsewhere to get Games at AFL Level

I seen plenty of him Play.

Only had 1 Stand-Out game vs Port.

IF he does play well in next 2-3 games he might look elsewhere to get Games at AFL Level
You're a hard man to please Dave, if you think he's only had 1 stand out game.

How about you wait until he actually plays before vomiting your shitty absolutes.
Why do you think your view is right.
I'll stand by my post.
Because the last time I was wrong I was in the womb and missed predicting my birth date because I didn't understand daylight saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back