Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think his ruck work has been good this year, apart from the occasional brain fade where he has hit it straight to opposition.

I was more critical last week for both Grundy and Cox's lack of imagination. They had full domination and control, yet kept palming it down right at their feet where Richmond players were reading it. They just need to work on a few new ideas.
That’ll come from our full time ruck coach...oh, hang on a minute.

He's been much better this year in terms of directing it. Was fantastic in the GWS game and has been good since. But the issue that a dominant ruckman has when playing against an obviously lesser bigman is a well-drilled opposition can focus entirely on roving to his ruckwork, which means that even if he directs it well it will often be cut off. It's why teams are often better off having an ordinary ruckman than a hot and cold ruckman. Just concede the tap and cover the midfielders with a view to intercepting or at least blanketing the tap.

In this scenario, I reckon the stronger ruckmen needs to move away from directing it at their feet to just smashing the ball forward to create forward momentum.
Grundy should have just smashed the ball forward when matched up on Grigg, but his efforts weren't as bad as Jacobs in the grand final.

Who was out last Ruck Coach? Hudson?

Other than the current blokes doing it in Rocca and Rendall, it would have been Hudson but was he ever just a coach or was it always a playing-coach role?

Big game for Brodie this week I think, it's obviously hard to be critical of him on this seasons form but his opponents in the last 2 weeks have had 29 (Nankervis) and 28 (Martin) possessions. It's all good Brodie getting high possession himself, but he needs to learns to be a bit more accountable as well. Hes still young and learning and he is apparently a very hard worker to become the best player he can so think he will fix this up. Geelongs ruckmen have been mentioned as one of there weaknesses, hopefully Brodie can dominate them in the ruck, but also keep his direct oppenent accountable as well!

Big game for Brodie this week I think, it's obviously hard to be critical of him on this seasons form but his opponents in the last 2 weeks have had 29 (Nankervis) and 28 (Martin) possessions. It's all good Brodie getting high possession himself, but he needs to learns to be a bit more accountable as well. Hes still young and learning and he is apparently a very hard worker to become the best player he can so think he will fix this up. Geelongs ruckmen have been mentioned as one of there weaknesses, hopefully Brodie can dominate them in the ruck, but also keep his direct oppenent accountable as well!

He is obviously playing sore. Very proppy even when just walking. Shin soreness apparently.
We need to get him sorted & quickly.

Brodie’s strength lies in the fact that he gets heaps of ball but also is a good ruckman. Nankervis and Martin aren’t as adept in the ruck but are both modern day rucks with their ball winning. We have the perfect combo of ruck/ball winner in Grundy but he needs to freshen up as the Anzac fatigue seems to have slowed his possession count.
39 hitouts to 24 v Martin
33 hitouts to 17 v Nankervis

He is obviously playing sore. Very proppy even when just walking. Shin soreness apparently.
No Doubt, but i'd argue if your fit enough to get 20 plus possessions, there are no excuses with defensive running as well. In saying that he might be told to be purely attacking and to not worry about his oppostition which obviously would mean he is playing his role well, its just something I've noticed and hope he can fix up. Loving the way he is going about his footy in the last 12 months or so but if he cant help defensively against ruckmen like Gawn, Nic Nat, McAvoy ect they can realy hurt you the other way.

No Doubt, but i'd argue if your fit enough to get 20 plus possessions, there are no excuses with defensive running as well. In saying that he might be told to be purely attacking and to not worry about his oppostition which obviously would mean he is playing his role well, its just something I've noticed and hope he can fix up. Loving the way he is going about his footy in the last 12 months or so but if he cant help defensively against ruckmen like Gawn, Nic Nat, McAvoy ect they can realy hurt you the other way.

He was running both ways & dominating before we played Richmond. Even Daisy Pierce on channel 7 mentioned Grundy was limping after half time in the Richmond game. Lets be honest that's the time Nankervis got on top & had lots of the footy. In the last half.
He hasn't been the same player since. We just have to get him right. He is too important to keep playing injured.

He still smashed both of them in actual ruckwork. Plus his tackle count against the Lion’s was immense, honestly thought he broke even with Martin at worst.

This week is his chance for another three votes, although Stanley has actually been pretty good.

It's tough. He is our trump card but he is not fully fit. The question is "will this injury respond to a week off, or is playing through it the best approach?" I don't know what the injury is, but I do know that pain as you run or push off to run has a debilitating effect on everything, including your thinking during a game. And Grundy has to think clearly all of the time with his pivotal role in the team. He and selectors need to know exactly where he is on the injury front. If cox has to take over for a few weeks, then that is what has to happen. Perish the thought that it could be longer.

Injuries may be a factor, but I reckon he may actually just be down on form as well. He was seriously mis-timing his leaps on the weekend, and was either jumping way too soon or too late. On the flip side, he still won more hitouts than he lost, but I thought Martin was getting a clear advantage when he was getting hitouts whereas Brodie's didn't offer us much.

Hopefully 2 consecutive 7 days break freshen him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He still smashed both of them in actual ruckwork. Plus his tackle count against the Lion’s was immense, honestly thought he broke even with Martin at worst.

This week is his chance for another three votes, although Stanley has actually been pretty good.
For sure, he certainly isn't playing badly. His tap work is vastly improved this year, he is like another midfielder with his tackling and clearence work. I personally thought Martin was the better player on Sunday. Martin and Nankervis both polled in the coaches votes against us. I'm loving Brodys game atm for the most part. Just think thats an area he can still improve on.

39 hitouts 11 tackles 16 possessions.....not bad for an out of form bloke with a sore shin up against one of the most underrated rucks in the AFL.

It's still very good no doubt. But certainly looks like he is struggling to cover the ground he usually does.

He was fine. Yep Martin was good, but it really bemuses me that certain players are criticised for what an opposition player does around the ground, but Zorko and Beams running wild only results in criticism of Bucks.

I haven't watched closely enough, defensively, is Grundy zoning or is he manning up. Considering that ruckman don't often have a big hurt factor outside of clearances, i'd assume that he is zoning, and thus what the opposition ruckman does around the ground is irrelevant to his performance on the day.

Could Rest him vs Geelong as they have no Clear Ruckman so Cox and Moore be good enough

He was fine. Yep Martin was good, but it really bemuses me that certain players are criticised for what an opposition player does around the ground, but Zorko and Beams running wild only results in criticism of Bucks.

I haven't watched closely enough, defensively, is Grundy zoning or is he manning up. Considering that ruckman don't often have a big hurt factor outside of clearances, i'd assume that he is zoning, and thus what the opposition ruckman does around the ground is irrelevant to his performance on the day.
I have been watching (you might know I have been critical of him before this year) and he has been working much harder running to support the backline.

I think because he has played some fantastic games this year, some might be benchmarking him against those games.

I think he was more than good and Martin is no slouch, has been very good this year.

I have been watching (you might know I have been critical of him before this year) and he has been working much harder running to support the backline.

I think because he has played some fantastic games this year, some might be benchmarking him against those games.

I think he was more than good and Martin is no slouch, has been very good this year.

It is amazing what one selfie can do to people! :p

It's tough. He is our trump card but he is not fully fit. The question is "will this injury respond to a week off, or is playing through it the best approach?" I don't know what the injury is, but I do know that pain as you run or push off to run has a debilitating effect on everything, including your thinking during a game. And Grundy has to think clearly all of the time with his pivotal role in the team. He and selectors need to know exactly where he is on the injury front. If cox has to take over for a few weeks, then that is what has to happen. Perish the thought that it could be longer.

This.

He's been down, particularly with his efforts around the ground - and I would guess a big part of that can be put down to the injury. It was telling on sunday that Cox rucked some of the bigger moments at the end of the game.

I think he needs a break - just when do you do it? In hindsight it should've been the Richmond game - 4 days break, concerns of soreness, and we probably werent gonna win that game either way. (But thats with hindsight).
I also think we want him back as healthy as possible for Freo and Melbourne.

I think this is a really important game this week and I can see the club trying to get him on the park. (But if he is sore - just give him the rest and play either Darcy or McLarty as the backup ruck to Cox)
I would be looking at resting him for one or both of St Kilda/WB, come back against 2 of the best rucks in the comp, then have another break for the Bye, and hopefully have a great 2nd half of the year.

Could Rest him vs Geelong as they have no Clear Ruckman so Cox and Moore be good enough

Agreed Dave they might. But the extra problem there is Cox would have to leave the forward line & I think his height may cause the Geelong backs some problems.

Agreed Dave they might. But the extra problem there is Cox would have to leave the forward line & I think his height may cause the Geelong backs some problems.

Bring in McLarty to play Forward Then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back