Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is top ten in the comp for contested possessions. He is a ruckman.

I'll say that again.

He is top ten in the comp for contested possessions. He is a ruckman.

Fecking hell.

The bloke isn't human.

He'll win a Brownlow in his career.

Monday's contest with Gawn should have people salivating. I think Gawn is currently the best ruck in the game and Grundy is closing fast. Not sure we've got enough of our better cattle playing to trouble the Dees in their current form but the outcome of this contest should go a long way to determining how close we get.

Monday's contest with Gawn should have people salivating. I think Gawn is currently the best ruck in the game and Grundy is closing fast. Not sure we've got enough of our better cattle playing to trouble the Dees in their current form but the outcome of this contest should go a long way to determining how close we get.
Grundy better than gawn already

Max will be Gawn by the time Brody steam rolls him on monday :)

Grundy better than gawn already

Grundy just played against 2 rucks with a TOTAL of 9 games experience.

He has had some very good games this year, he has also had some where he has been thoroughly outplayed by Nankervis and Martin.

For much of the season, he has also yet to become particularly dominant at getting his hitouts to the advantage of our mids.
Yes he has all the right tools, and yes he has himself in AA discussion - but no chance in hell is he better than Gawn at this stage.

He has had some very good games this year, he has also had some where he has been thoroughly outplayed by Nankervis and Martin.

For much of the season, he has also yet to become particularly dominant at getting his hitouts to the advantage of our mids.
Yes he has all the right tools, and yes he has himself in AA discussion - but no chance in hell is he better than Gawn at this stage.

Maybe that more about the Mids then Grundy?

Was a training run for Grundy against an undermanned dockers. Put on a taps-to-advantage clinic. He is imperious to watch these days. Next week his biggest test this year, was completely towelled up by Gawn last time they met.

8th best player in the league atm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please Explain why then

It's about consistency over a longer period for me Dave. Even with his injury issues last year Gawn has been at that top echelon for 3-4 years, Brodie just starting to find that form consistently. Gawn still ahead though for hitouts, I'd assume hitouts to advantage, marks, and scoreboard impact. Those areas are where I think we can expect to see even further improvements from Brodie with more experience.

Maybe that more about the Mids then Grundy?

No Dave - a lot of that is on Brodie.
It is clear that Brodie prefers to tap straight down - and opposition clubs are aware of this.
It works great when one of our mids gets enough separation to run through and get it, but plenty of the time an opposition mid roves and eithet gets a clearance to their advantage or it gets wrapped up again.

I dont think its a matter of our mids not trying to get there - but there needs to be a backup plan for when our top guys are not able to get a free position.

That IMO is where it is up to Brodie - and it is something I expect to see over the next 1-2 years of his development- but he doesnt do it yet.
He needs to read the situation better and have other tricks up his sleeve when the opposition is roving him succesfully.

Ive said this before - and i dont mean it is as a knock. He has spent the last 12-18 months getting to the point that is usually dominating the hitouts.
Now he's gotta get to that next level that guys like Gawn are at.

No Dave - a lot of that is on Brodie.
It is clear that Brodie prefers to tap straight down - and opposition clubs are aware of this.
It works great when one of our mids gets enough separation to run through and get it, but plenty of the time an opposition mid roves and eithet gets a clearance to their advantage or it gets wrapped up again.

I dont think its a matter of our mids not trying to get there - but there needs to be a backup plan for when our top guys are not able to get a free position.

That IMO is where it is up to Brodie - and it is something I expect to see over the next 1-2 years of his development- but he doesnt do it yet.
He needs to read the situation better and have other tricks up his sleeve when the opposition is roving him succesfully.

Ive said this before - and i dont mean it is as a knock. He has spent the last 12-18 months getting to the point that is usually dominating the hitouts.
Now he's gotta get to that next level that guys like Gawn are at.

Then should we put Cox in the Ruck and play Grundy as a Tall Mid then?

So Grundy might be overrated as a Ruckman as Tap work is biggest Part of a Ruckman

8th best player in the league atm

Dont get me wrong his work around the ground is elite for a ruckman. (Though was clearly beaten in that area by both Nankervis and Martin recently).
That is where a lot of his stats come from.

But if people want to claim hes on par, or better than Gawn, then he needs to take the next step in the development of his ruck craftwork. This year has shown that, although he's improving, he has a fair way to go to be truly dominant in the ruck.

So Grundy might be overrated as a Ruckman as Tap work is biggest Part of a Ruckman

At the start of the year I was thinking that - Cox rucks and then goes forward to swap with Grundy.

But Grundy has shown that he is too good for that kind of strategy. He deserves to be at the Ruck contest as often as he is able.

He just needs to start taking that next step now

Was a training run for Grundy against an undermanned dockers. Put on a taps-to-advantage clinic. He is imperious to watch these days. Next week his biggest test this year, was completely towelled up by Gawn last time they met.
No last round of last year Grundy and Cox dominated Gawn when we knocked them out of finals contention.

I actually thought his tap work on Sunday was so much better, really tapped to advantage, especially in the second half.

I've never been this grateful for a ruckman we've had, and I am genuinely excited to see Gawn and Grundy go head to head.

The hype for me is like seeing a heavyweight title match, rather than an actual footy match.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Grundy Vs Gawn is a mouthwatering match up. Could be the battle to become the All Australian ruckman this year if they both continue there form. I still rate Gawn as the No. 1 ruck in the comp but Brodie has definately closed the gap this season and my monday night I'm hoping we will all be saying has taken over as the competitions No. 1 ruckman.
Would love Brodie to be at his physical best against big Maxy and shake him up with a few crunching tackles.
Both midfields have become used to having the dominant ruckman during games so will be interesting to see how both teams adjust if either Brodie or Max get on top early.
Really looking forward to Mondays game for quite a few reasons.

Grundy Vs Gawn is a mouthwatering match up. Could be the battle to become the All Australian ruckman this year if they both continue there form. I still rate Gawn as the No. 1 ruck in the comp but Brodie has definately closed the gap this season and my monday night I'm hoping we will all be saying has taken over as the competitions No. 1 ruckman.
Would love Brodie to be at his physical best against big Maxy and shake him up with a few crunching tackles.
Both midfields have become used to having the dominant ruckman during games so will be interesting to see how both teams adjust if either Brodie or Max get on top early.
Really looking forward to Mondays game for quite a few reasons.

Yeah, when he gets the chance he should smash into him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back