Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAWESOME!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
****Mod Edit*** 8th June 2015

with several threads expessing joy with Grundy's progress the two latest ones have been merged and this can now be the thread for all things Grundy.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...-in-football-and-in-life-20150507-ggw81u.html

Live reading about young players who have their s**t together on and off the field. Sounds like he's very settled and has a plan for the next few years at Collingwood. :thumbsu:

Last edited by a moderator:

upnsmoke

Club Legend
Sep 2, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
He's super mobile for his size.
The basketball roots is showing, I think so far in 5 rounds, he is top 5 ruck man.... as he gets stronger and learns the tricks of the trades, he will be too much for the majority of ruck men in the league, only someone quicker and more athletic than him with similar strength can give him trouble.

Ketchup

Cancelled
May 9, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Aberdeen FC
Alot of people are quick to make conspiracy theories. I'm not saying Grundy didnt say that to Melbourne. But just stories coming out lately make it even more unbelievable. It could seriously be as simple as people don't like taking ruckman early because it takes longer to develop and are worried about someone picking them off when they're ready. Add in compromised drafts due to expansion clubs and clubs needed ready made players.

Alot of people are quick to make conspiracy theories. I'm not saying Grundy didnt say that to Melbourne. But just stories coming out lately make it even more unbelievable. It could seriously be as simple as people don't like taking ruckman early because it takes longer to develop and are worried about someone picking them off when they're ready. Add in compromised drafts due to expansion clubs and clubs needed ready made players.

I am just saying what has been Said around the Internet.

You make a Good Point that because Ruckman take longer to Develop and That Means that a Recruiter could lose his Job IF a player takes too long to develop or not at all.

Mids are more sure bets

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Great to see, I am tipping we will have the deadliest Ruck combination in the league as quickly as next season, if not by the end of this one.

If Witts and Grundy can rest in the FP and jag a few goals, create a good contest for the smalls and give Cloke a chop out, then it will happen.

Grundy's second efforts, speed, reflexes and agility at ground level are looking astonishing at the moment.

This kid is a genuine gun. I know people portray statistics differently, but I just wanted to look at Brodie's numbers next to some of the premier ruckmen of the game.

Note: all players on the list have played 5 games excl Zac Smith (4), Will Minson (3) and Matt Lobbe (2).

image.jpg

Brodie is 2nd for overall disposals, 3rd for clearances and equal 2nd for tackles. These 3 particular categories are all key areas for genuine midfielders, not ruckmen. I also wanted to point out how similar he is statistically to Todd Goldstein. Goldstein had been touted as the best ruckman in the comp this year and Brodie is on par with him. Goldstein is more effective with his disposal and wins more hitouts than Brodie, but also has more years of experience. Brodie's potential is sky high and we should all be excited of what's to come from the big man because stats don't lie and he has already showed plenty for his age. It's no hiding that big men take a while to develop, but it's a credit to him for the rate he is developing at!

I don't know how much more of these positive articles I can take.:D

We always knew Grunds was a different cat. Love this kid, love all our kids, especially love Dekka for weaving his magic. Not just drafting, but the clever trading that got us these draft picks in the first place.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't know how much more of these positive articles I can take.:D

We always knew Grunds was a different cat. Love this kid, love all our kids, especially love Dekka for weaving his magic. Not just drafting, but the clever trading that got us these draft picks in the first place.

Can you imagine the goo when De Goey Moore and Scharenberg get going in the seniors? :$

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Will be the best ruckman in the comp in two years.

His development this year already has skyrocketed.

Been saying this all year. Kid is so good for such a young age. He comes across like Pendles. Genuinely wants to get better all the time. Loved that story of him pestering Dean Cox for tips and then going home and taking notes.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός

I honestly doubt he knew enough about Melbourne to AFL in general to make such a statement. When he was drafted he had played less than 50 games of footy at ANY level. He basically came to our sport as a basketballer.

I'd say he slipped to pick 18 because of what you said. Ruckmen are very risky to use top picks on unless you KNOW for certain you can develop them right. Given what else was in the draft that year, you can understand why he wasn't taken a bit earlier. But given we had 3 picks in a row, it was an absolute no brainer for us.

Will never forget Hine jizzing in his pants when he noticed Brody was still there and tried to call his number out.

This kid is a genuine gun. I know people portray statistics differently, but I just wanted to look at Brodie's numbers next to some of the premier ruckmen of the game.

Note: all players on the list have played 5 games excl Zac Smith (4), Will Minson (3) and Matt Lobbe (2).

View attachment 131784

Brodie is 2nd for overall disposals, 3rd for clearances and equal 2nd for tackles. These 3 particular categories are all key areas for genuine midfielders, not ruckmen. I also wanted to point out how similar he is statistically to Todd Goldstein. Goldstein had been touted as the best ruckman in the comp this year and Brodie is on par with him. Goldstein is more effective with his disposal and wins more hitouts than Brodie, but also has more years of experience. Brodie's potential is sky high and we should all be excited of what's to come from the big man because stats don't lie and he has already showed plenty for his age. It's no hiding that big men take a while to develop, but it's a credit to him for the rate he is developing at!

Though 1 knock there is Grundy has the Worst Disposal %:(

He didn't call the Demons weak as piss, but he did bite back at Neeld when he said his haircut made him look soft, by saying he would fit in perfectly with Melbourne's soft midfield.
He also asked GWS during his interview why he would want to join a club that's only been around for 5 minutes (that one is on record in an article).

Both comments are consistent with his personality. Won't take a backwards step if he's challenged, and won't take s**t from anybody. It's those traits that are going to make him the best ruck in the comp in a few years.

I honestly doubt he knew enough about Melbourne to AFL in general to make such a statement. When he was drafted he had played less than 50 games of footy at ANY level. He basically came to our sport as a basketballer.

I'd say he slipped to pick 18 because of what you said. Ruckmen are very risky to use top picks on unless you KNOW for certain you can develop them right. Given what else was in the draft that year, you can understand why he wasn't taken a bit earlier. But given we had 3 picks in a row, it was an absolute no brainer for us.

Will never forget Hine jizzing in his pants when he noticed Brody was still there and tried to call his number out.

I do agree the Most Likely things that Recruiters these days are scared to take Rucks Early as they can taking as they can take awhile to Develop and they can be biggest risk as there been Top 10 Rucks that have not worked out.

Guess it could of been just simple Luck that he got to us at Pick 18?

Though 1 knock there is Grundy has the Worst Disposal %:(

TradeDraft maybe that camp to NZ where none of the boys selected him In there best 22 was the kick up the ass he needed?

He didn't call the Demons weak as piss, but he did bite back at Neeld when he said his haircut made him look soft, by saying he would fit in perfectly with Melbourne's soft midfield.
He also asked GWS during his interview why he would want to join a club that's only been around for 5 minutes (that one is on record in an article).

Both comments are consistent with his personality. Won't take a backwards step if he's challenged, and won't take s**t from anybody. It's those traits that are going to make him the best ruck in the comp in a few years.

But that only Rules out the GWS and Melbourne of Drafting Grundy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back