Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
least of the problems , he would be on absolute peanuts.

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I realise that mate, just saying: we've got quite a bit of dead and dying wood to prune before we start worrying about where we'll find the $$$ for our guns. If the Tiges can bring in Lynch and have Dusty on a mill a year....anyone can!

Matz

Club Legend
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
AC Milan
I realise that mate, just saying: we've got quite a bit of dead and dying wood to prune before we start worrying about where we'll find the $$$ for our guns. If the Tiges can bring in Lynch and have Dusty on a mill a year....anyone can!
Very true.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

They're a pretty shallow list though. They've gone for a stars and role players list. I don't know if that's the way to go.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
They're a pretty shallow list though. They've gone for a stars and role players list. I don't know if that's the way to go.

If the alternative is letting them go there’s no choice to make. You just shift your recruiting strategies to suit. Invest more in mature age state league players U25, DFA’s that can play specific roles and undervalued guys on minimum chips (Roughead and Dunn). The problem Richmond have is they’ve moved those types on to accommodate Lynch not brought them in to expand the playing pool.

FWIW clubs are generally fine when retaining their own talent and only struggle when they attract outside talent. For instance making a play for Kelly once Pendles retires. He would be a perfect replacement and it will be in the next CBA period (AFAIK) so it’s a possibility. It’s just one that may cost us players.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Of those 17 players listed in that article about Grundy.

There’s about six we must keep with Grundy.

De Goey , Elliott , Moore , Mihocek . Sier , Grundy.

Ones like Scharenberg we can keep on minimal. Same with greenwood.

I might have missed one. The rest are ageing or fringe.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our salary cap is already stretched to absolute max, it's not that simple.

And how many of the other 17 clubs aren't in exactly the same situation?

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hard to see a successful team having multiple $1m players. No cash for depth. St Kilda 2009-11 showed that you can have your 5-6 superstars but they can’t make up for the last 6 players in your 22 that can cost you games.

Hopefully North blew their cash on Polec and can’t artificially inflate salaries.

Most teams will have a cluster of top earners. Tigers had Martin, Crotchin, Reiwoldt and Rance. Doggies have Bont and Boyd. We were no different to the Saints back in 2010 with players like Pendles, Cloke, Swan, Reid all on that $600-800k range in a much smaller TPC. I just don't get all the angst about it.

And how many of the other 17 clubs aren't in exactly the same situation?

Don't they all have to pay at least 95% of cap, so every club has to be pretty tight? They can probably front load contracts to get a bank, but I suspect we exaggerate the amount of that occurring except to fix up stuff ups. Seems a really short sighted strategy to me, as if you are a middling to low club who can bank some salary cap that way and use this banked cap to lure a star, you're going to run into issues once in a couple of years time when the front loading and bank has run out and the couple of years is when you're looking to get the real benefit from the star. Plus with front loaded contracts, you run the risk of the guy deciding to break contract because in the final years he can get paid a heap more elsewhere.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don't they all have to pay at least 95% of cap, so every club has to be pretty tight? They can probably front load contracts to get a bank, but I suspect we exaggerate the amount of that occurring except to fix up stuff ups. Seems a really short sighted strategy to me, as if you are a middling to low club who can bank some salary cap that way and use this banked cap to lure a star, you're going to run into issues once in a couple of years time when the front loading and bank has run out and the couple of years is when you're looking to get the real benefit from the star. Plus with front loaded contracts, you run the risk of the guy deciding to break contract because in the final years he can get paid a heap more elsewhere.

Exactly. Every club operates in the same 95-105% TPC domain and I'd imagine nearly every cap is tight. Creative accounting will only ever get you so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for a few of the older boys to take a pay cut in the interests of the future. I'm talking about your Sidebottoms and your Pendleburys.
I think you’ll find that Sidebottom is already on big unders. He’s the last guy who should be getting a paycut.

Time for a few of the older boys to take a pay cut in the interests of the future. I'm talking about your Sidebottoms and your Pendleburys.
Unfortunately we only have one Sidebottom and one Pendlebury.

Wish we could have an embargo on the topic of AFL players 'delaying contract negotiations'. I still haven't recovered from the agony Cloke Inc put us through in 2012. Its horrible. Dont want or need to know. It adds such an avaricious dimension to footy which I know exists, but I'd rather be ignorant of.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
How many other clubs had their seniors players brought in to take pay cuts so they could squeeze another A grade midfielder in?

How would we know? At least Richmond although obviously not a midfielder. But as with the Beams scenario, that was to accommodate a new player into the squad, not extend/bolster the contract of someone already within a squad so not really the same discussion.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surely Sidey is more than one player - he's often everywhere at once.

And Pendles, surely the fact you can still where he was after he's gotten to where he's going means there's 2 of him.

Wish we could have an embargo on the topic of AFL players 'delaying contract negotiations'. I still haven't recovered from the agony Cloke Inc put us through in 2012. Its horrible. Dont want or need to know. It adds such an avaricious dimension to footy which I know exists, but I'd rather be ignorant of.

With Free Agency it just get worse

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Cloke was one out of the box, never have I seen an AFL player have a segment of their own on a prime time footy show like he did and really de-rail a season for his own personal benefit. Could never like him after that year

Cloke was one out of the box, never have I seen an AFL player have a segment of their own on a prime time footy show like he did and really de-rail a season for his own personal benefit. Could never like him after that year

Malthouse did that in 2011. Made it all about him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back