Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
What about Monkhurst?
See below.

Not in the league of the big three (Thompson, Moore, Grundy).

All of this is just my view. Happy for challenges.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Next level down, Grundy already better in every area other than Marking I'd guess. Monkey had a bit more mongrel as well.
I’d even say Grundy is a better mark.

The mongrel part, you’re bang on.

Loved Monkey ofcourse, good guy and player.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’d even say Grundy is a better mark.

The mongrel part, you’re bang on.

Loved Monkey ofcourse, good guy and player.

Not yet he's not. Monkey was very reliable.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't think your giving Monkey enough credit for the work he did to be honest...

Monkhorst at 21 beat Madden (Essendon team of the Century) and Salmon (Hawthorn team of the century) in 1990 and had 17 touches in the GF...

Grundy at 24 broke all types of ruckman records that no-one cares about and had ten touches in a losing team against Scott Lycett and Nathan Vardy....
Fair enough.

If we are basing whole career summations in one game, important that it is, who can argue?

But a whole career judgment is more than one game.

That’s how I see it.

The simplest question to ask is:

If you can have all of the Monkhorst career or all of the Grundy career (to date and surmising the rest of it) who would you take today?

To me, it’s not even close, Grundy by so so so far.
A non contest.

Please note: I really liked Monkhorst, I value his terrific contribution.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not yet he's not. Monkey was very reliable.
You’re bringing back fond memories.

I remember his debut game, Matthews picked him, he sat on the bench all day. Against Fitzroy early doors 1988.

But he got going in 1989 (yep a year later) and off he went, never really looked back.
As I recall it was the demise of David Cloke for us as the new boy swept in.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I find it fascinating how much better guys become with time! The stories become more grandiose as the memories fade. Full due to Monkey, but he’s so far behind Grundy it isn’t fair to talk about the two together.

I find it fascinating how much better guys become with time! The stories become more grandiose as the memories fade. Full due to Monkey, but he’s so far behind Grundy it isn’t fair to talk about the two together.

In defence of the glorifiers, what tends to happen is we remember the bloke at his very best and trick ourselves into thinking their whole career was at that level. Monkhurst had one great year where he was one of the Brownlow favourites and if we think of him as being at that level he's probably only a handful of shades below Grundy, but you're right, the vast majority of his career was nowhere near that level and nowhere near what Grundy has and should continue to produce. The great thing is that Grundy probably hasn't yet reached his peak. He'll be one that we're glorifying for many years to come.

I have fond memories of James Manson, purely for his theatrics.

I recall one day at Waverley Park he was kicking for goal, feigned an injury as he was never going to kick it and it was given to another player (can't recall who). Then jogs away suddenly all was good.:)
Those were the days.

However I agree re Grundy, the closest I would nominate would be Thompson or Moore.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
I quite like these comparrisons. Impossible to really compare between generations but Len Thompson ushered a new age of ruckman. 5 Copelands from memory and a Brownlow. Same as Buckley only in better teams.

In 1979, exit Thompson and Moore moves into the ruck and wins the first of 2 Brownlows. The next new age of ruckman. I'm not sure if either was as good as Gary Dempsey who spanned their careers - another deabte.

Grundy might well win the Brownlow this year which would be the first for a Ruckman for a long time and a great acheievement, putting him in the frame but he's half a seaon of absolute top end footy before entering the frame and 5+ years at that level from justifying the rating. Baring injury he will probably get there but he's just not in that league right now. Talent v achievement - it doesn't always translate for a lot of reasons.

If there was a draft of everyone in the comp he'd go very high but it's based on a short window of actual performance and projection of what's to come.

Monkey was an integral part of a very good side for rasdons apart from any of the 3 others mentioned as well as pure ruck ability but he's a margin from Thompson or Moore and from where I think Grundy will end up. Grundy has to do it all yet though.

The best outcome by far for us is that Grundy re-signs.

If you have selection 1 or 2 in the draft you just hope your clubs recruiting department unearths a player that becomes as good as Grundy.

When you have that known commodity already in your hands they're worth so much more than any pick 1 or 2 as that pick remains a speculative selection until it proves a worthy one.

Grundy is already worth his weight in gold.

That won't be much Pressure Then

Spot on Sco. Monkey was a decent ruckman not a great one. I don't see Grundy better than Thompson or Moore just yet.
But i see him surpassing both in time.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

I recall one day at Waverley Park he was kicking for goal, feigned an injury as he was never going to kick it and it was given to another player (can't recall who). Then jogs away suddenly all was good.:)
Those were the days.

However I agree re Grundy, the closest I would nominate would be Thompson or Moore.
On James Manson.

Absolutely good guy.
I’ve had the pleasure a few times and he and his wife are just lovely people.

Was a solid citizen ruck for us, and such endeavour too.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Those were the days
A clue, he wore number 5.

Ronnie McKeown

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Damn, how did I forget that, one of my favourites. Sad that he missed out.

Thank you, did you think he was faking?

Wonderful time following the Pies, bit of everything.
Being there.

Absolutely!

And it was very funny at the time.

Probably today there’s be more consternation but then it was a bit more of side affair by the amusement.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sco I do have a few on ignore for my own peace of mind but I don't think anyone is seriously touting Monkhurst being on a level with the modern rucking elite or even Thomo/Moore.

The point I was mentioning in passing was that for all his lack of althleticism and top level skill Monkhurst was - for his time - a top ruckman who excelled in the one characteristic that all first rucks shared then and even to a lesser extent today.

Sheer physical intimidation.

Now those of a delicate attitude towards such things may say no one should be celebrating intimidation and I find myself divided on that position.

The fact remains then and to a lesser extent today - that is the way our PHYSICAL team sport is played and Monkey was very good at it.

Our sport is a contest on all levels - as are most team sports - the physical, emotional, intellectual and skill components are all interrelated and in effect indivisible lest the unity falls to pieces for the lack of sufficiency in one or more components.

Ruck work has evolved considerably during the intervening decades but the underlying clash of physique and willpower remains at the heart of it all.

Grundy is most certainly a far superior player and ruckman but when I saw young Brodie rag doll Mumford on the boundary line when Mumford first encountered Grundy in his (Grundy's) first year I was immediately reminded of Monkhurst.

Despite all that has occurred since and Brodie's astonishing growth as giant galloping ruck rover THAT moment on the boundary line I KNEW we had something special if we only developed it right.

The unwillingness to be cowed by anyone represents a core inner strength and certainty that every first ruck needs to excel - Grundy has that as did Monkey.

Being there.

Absolutely!

And it was very funny at the time.

Probably today there’s be more consternation but then it was a bit more of side affair by the amusement.
I was also, we are Pie tragics.:D

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood

Those were the days.

I was there that day.
Hilarious. We all knew what was happening, but even the ump was powerless to stop it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back