Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collingwood defender Darcy Moore is one of several key Magpies who come out of contract next year.

Moore joins Brodie Grundy, Jordan de Goey and Scott Pendlebury in coming off-contract in 2020 as the Pies seek to balance the books while retaining their star commodities.

AFL player manager and Moore’s representative, Liam Pickering, says talks with Collingwood have taken place, but no deal has been forthcoming.

“We’ve spoken to Collingwood a few times throughout the course of the year,” Pickering told Telstra AFL Trade Radio.

“We’d like to see what it looks like and what they’re thinking moving forward because they’ve got those decisions to make on not just (Brodie) Grundy and Darcy, but also with Jordan de Goey and I think Scott Pendlebury is out of contract next year.

“They’ve got some big players coming out (of contract) at the end of 2020, so we want the lay of the land of where they see Darcy fitting in all that, so that’s really in the hands of Collingwood at the moment.

“He is contracted so just to at least have a look at it I think it would be nice at this stage.”

Moore, 23, inked a two-year extension last October after being reportedly courted by Sydney throughout the 2018 season.

Looks like that the Grundy contract dragging on might affect other deals too with Jordy and Darcy sure to get offers from other clubs.

Collingwood defender Darcy Moore is one of several key Magpies who come out of contract next year.

Moore joins Brodie Grundy, Jordan de Goey and Scott Pendlebury in coming off-contract in 2020 as the Pies seek to balance the books while retaining their star commodities.

AFL player manager and Moore’s representative, Liam Pickering, says talks with Collingwood have taken place, but no deal has been forthcoming.

“We’ve spoken to Collingwood a few times throughout the course of the year,” Pickering told Telstra AFL Trade Radio.

“We’d like to see what it looks like and what they’re thinking moving forward because they’ve got those decisions to make on not just (Brodie) Grundy and Darcy, but also with Jordan de Goey and I think Scott Pendlebury is out of contract next year.

“They’ve got some big players coming out (of contract) at the end of 2020, so we want the lay of the land of where they see Darcy fitting in all that, so that’s really in the hands of Collingwood at the moment.

“He is contracted so just to at least have a look at it I think it would be nice at this stage.”

Moore, 23, inked a two-year extension last October after being reportedly courted by Sydney throughout the 2018 season.

Looks like that the Grundy contract dragging on might affect other deals too with Jordy and Darcy sure to get offers from other clubs.

Club might have a Time Limit on how long they can wait or they just Re-Sign Moore and De Goey 1st Then

I'd be comfortable enough with 5 + 2 years, with the contract becoming a bit more incentive-driven rather than almost entirely guaranteed money in the latter half (maybe even including performance-based triggers for the 6th and 7th years) and adjusting the year on year salary figures as necessary to give breathing room for the other players we need to keep in the next couple of years.

Where his value lies is another story - not sure any ruckman is worth $1 mil+ per year, but averaging out somewhere in the region of $800-900k per year across the entire contract feels about right, factoring in the likely 9-10+% increase in TPP cap over that meaty part of the contract (first 5 years) and the tapering off on his salary in years 6 and 7. It would still be roughly a 5.5-6.5 million dollar commitment from the club, which is pretty hefty.

For some reason, I can't see tweets when they're re-posted by others any more (used to be able to). What does the tweet say?
It’s been a minute, but just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their
🖤
& support this season (especially big poppa). Can’t wait to write the next chapter together in 2020.

How is it "dragging on", exactly? No other big name coming out of contract in recent years has re-signed this early (in the off-season prior to coming out of contract), have they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

17 year contract...…….get it done Ned.

I get that Grundy wants to maximise his earnings, he's only in the game for a fraction of his life. However does he want to win a flag? He has that opportunity here, we've gone close, we have some very good players in all age brackets. It's not like we're in a rip it all down and rebuild for 5 years time scenario.

If he values team success, and if he actually is the person he portrays himself as, to me it's a no brainer to sign and to take a little bit unders in order to create enough cap room to continue to resign our valuable players and have something left to attract a big fish in due time.

Maybe he values money more than he makes out, maybe he is more selfish than he makes out to be, and I don't hold that against him.

There is always going to be people who value money more than other things, but there is always going to be people who value team success and sustained success higher.

If I was the club, I'd be asking him which one he is, and making a decision accordingly.

It's simply not worth breaking the bank and jeopardising future moves for one player imo, unless, it's getting a bloke in that pushes you over the line, like a star KPF. Players you already have on your roster should understand taking a little less will often lead to a far better outcome for all.

Perfectly said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whether to pay Brodie Grundy what he wants or not is a very interesting topic. Some say we don’t need him because even though he wins the tap outs we lose the clearances. Others point to how badly we did against Keating in the early 2000’s. My take is we can’t have a poor ruckman (apologies to Josh Fraser). But do we need a great one like Grundy? I don’t think Jolly was a great ruckman but a highly competent one. So I lean towards offering Grundy a fair 5 year contract for about 900k per season. But if he rejects that then bye Brodie you are great but we need to spend cash on key position players. We would then need a competent ruckman. Grundy is the most expendable of the Fab Four. As for Keating he had a super human midfield Voss, Black, Aker etc!

Patrick Cripps signed with 2 years to go in his contract.

Isn't that the exception? Should an exception be the basis for our expectations?

Not much of a fan of the theory you don’t need an elite ruck to win a flag,
I think its more of a case that theres barely been any ruckman at Grundys current level since Dean Cox, so the odds of an elite ruckman being in a premiership team are somewhat slim because there aren’t many around.

From west coasts premiership season in 2006, theres only really been Sandilands, Goldstein(2015) and Gawn(2016-2019) that have been at a level that compares to Dean Cox and current form Grundy. So there is barely any sides that have had elite ruckman to compare to our current situation.

Goldstein had an average team around him that probably overachieved in september, Sandilands probably would have won a flag if Ross Lyon had recruited a key forward instead of relying on an aging Pavlich, Gawn probably in a similar situation as Goldstein, and Grundy was a kick away from a flag himself. Whilst not a priority by any means i think the fact that all of these ruckman atleast made preliminary finals favours that an elite ruckman can definitely help you win a premiership.

Isn't that the exception? Should an exception be the basis for our expectations?
No it shouldn't but Grundy's manager is using exactly that publicly. A couple of players have signed a 7 year deal so Grundy should get one. He's quoted Lynch and couple of other long term signings. Personally I'm happy to play out the year or at least most of it as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back