Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Dunno how many hitouts Monkey got in 1990, but with key forwards like Crosisca and Gavin Brown it didn't seem to cost us.

So you have to go back 31 years to find an example? But I doubt Monkey would have even been close to the teams marquee player and his rucking style a lot more resembles our last premiership ruckman than Grundys...

Probably fits Buckley’s game plan to base everything on footy when he started his playing career...

I liked that Grundy looked to belt the footy instead of just dropping it at his feet tonight. Still need more cohesion with our mids, but it’s a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
After half time he should have expected they would shark his taps due to the 1st half dominance. Everyone knew Brisbane needed to try switch it up yet he did nothing different and gave it to them on a platter. Why the f?ck can't he mix it up with some clearing punches? This predictable rubbish has to stop.

chop_me

Club Legend
May 8, 2007
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Collingwood
He has no fu**en idea how to tap the ball, honestly, if it was Nic Nat, he would have set up 8 goals by now

Given the fact that the gentle taps haven’t changed for such a long time, it would seem like coach instruction to do so.

Whoever is coaching the ruck/midfield set-up needs to go.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Nothing frustrates me more than seeing Grundy doing little taps when he is uncontested at the ruck.

What happened to the “grab and kick”?

Coaches have told him to not grab it out of the ruck. Beats me as to why

ant22

Premiership Player
Oct 14, 2005
gisborne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
pies
I can’t remember a ruckman having 23 hit outs to advantage. This with his 29 disposals , Clearances and tackles galore and people piss and moan. Grundy will never win because we have a legacy of supporters who just love to bag not just our average players and our great ones to. Ok he is on bloody good coin. He was clearly our best player for 2 seasons before that and was a very good developing ruckman before that. He had one bad season where he struggled with lockdown and was sore. He looks back to his best now. Never stops trying and his in my opinion along with adams the heart and soul of our playing group.

Grundy put us in the box seat to beat a good side last night. A lot of players had poor nights yet we lead for 97% of the game due to his incredible performance.

Plenty of average players stopped us from getting the four points. Perhaps the frustration should be directed at them.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I can’t remember a ruckman having 23 hit outs to advantage. This with his 29 disposals , Clearances and tackles galore and people piss and moan. Grundy will never win because we have a legacy of supporters who just love to bag not just our average players and our great ones to. Ok he is on bloody good coin. He was clearly our best player for 2 seasons before that and was a very good developing ruckman before that. He had one bad season where he struggled with lockdown and was sore. He looks back to his best now. Never stops trying and his in my opinion along with adams the heart and soul of our playing group.

Grundy put us in the box seat to beat a good side last night. A lot of players had poor nights yet we lead for 97% of the game due to his incredible performance.

Plenty of average players stopped us from getting the four points. Perhaps the frustration should be directed at them.
There's no element of jealousy in criticising the poor players compared to Grundy. That piss-average element of our fans that you allude to love to bring up the coin he's on, as if a top-5 player in the comp isn't worth keeping.

ant22

Premiership Player
Oct 14, 2005
gisborne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
pies
There's no element of jealousy in criticising the poor players compared to Grundy. That piss-average element of our fans that you allude to love to bring up the coin he's on, as if a top-5 player in the comp isn't worth keeping.

I used to sit in the social club and had to stop and move to the southern stand. So many of these supporters who just bag bag bag every player on our list. I’d look around and most of them looked like the type of people who wouldn’t get a kick in a g grade ammos ressies side. I’d just sit there and think how embarrassing is it that these blokes who sit in the stands, who looked like they have achieved nothing in life, abuse our gun players from the safety of their seat. Same blokes would take any opportunity to get a photo with them if they saw them In Public and post it on Facebook to look cool. Ok so you pay your membership and get the right to cheer how you want but I personally find it a bit pathetic.

jc37

All Australian
Jan 4, 2007
London
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would have Grundy as one of our best against the Bears however I think we really need to work on how to take advantage of his ruck dominance when it occurs. GWS 19 Prelim was similar from memory. On the other side of the coin we need to work out his role when he gets smashed by Natanui. The way I look at today is He had a very good game and we should be excited there is more improvement in him still that can make him and even better player.

chop_me

Club Legend
May 8, 2007
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Collingwood

I don’t think people are criticising his game from last night. The bigger question is why our midfield isn’t taking advantage of his dominance.

Yes, a lot of his taps goes to our advantage, but rarely clear advantages and clear takeaways (unlike NicNat’s taps).

Our Clearance work is a bigger problem than Grundy’s tap work, especially given his dominance.

We all watched the game. There just seem to be so many missed opportunities to properly clear the ball.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I don’t think people are criticising his game from last night. The bigger question is why our midfield isn’t taking advantage of his dominance.

Yes, a lot of his taps goes to our advantage, but rarely clear advantages and clear takeaways (unlike NicNat’s taps).

Our Clearance work is a bigger problem than Grundy’s tap work, especially given his dominance.

We all watched the game. There just seem to be so many missed opportunities to properly clear the ball.

There are many who hold Grundy solely accountable for that disconnect. It's much more damning of our midfield coaching (and coaching in general) than of any one player. I'm sure the coaches love what Grundy does with his hitouts, because he does it all the time

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers

TBH not many ruckman get to play against a kid like last night. It was David and Goliath and there's nothing to take out his ruck work.

His ground work/second efforts were much improved however.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)

Fantastic Post mate. Sheer common sense.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
I used to sit in the social club and had to stop and move to the southern stand. So many of these supporters who just bag bag bag every player on our list. I’d look around and most of them looked like the type of people who wouldn’t get a kick in a g grade ammos ressies side. I’d just sit there and think how embarrassing is it that these blokes who sit in the stands, who looked like they have achieved nothing in life, abuse our gun players from the safety of their seat. Same blokes would take any opportunity to get a photo with them if they saw them In Public and post it on Facebook to look cool. Ok so you pay your membership and get the right to cheer how you want but I personally find it a bit pathetic.

fantastic.....keep going!

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
Fantastic photo. Credit to Michael Wilson.

1617410868284.png

ant22

Premiership Player
Oct 14, 2005
gisborne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
pies

Because we only have 2 plays who rotate through the guts who don't fumble and 'pendles and sidebottom and even they are not as clean as they used to be. I love Adams but he is not a one touch player, Crisp has gone more in to the middle and fumbles, De Goey has never been all that clean by hand. I rate it as just about the most important skill in modern day football. We seriously need some good young ball winning one touch players coming through otherwise we will be in all sorts. Someone on here mention Grundy's ruck dominance in the 2019 prelim not be taken advantage off. Its because our high priced mids fumbled all bloody night. The poor bloke can't win, even when he dominants people stick the boots in.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because we only have 2 plays who rotate through the guts who don't fumble and 'pendles and sidebottom and even they are not as clean as they used to be. I love Adams but he is not a one touch player, Crisp has gone more in to the middle and fumbles, De Goey has never been all that clean by hand. I rate it as just about the most important skill in modern day football. We seriously need some good young ball winning one touch players coming through otherwise we will be in all sorts. Someone on here mention Grundy's ruck dominance in the 2019 prelim not be taken advantage off. Its because our high priced mids fumbled all bloody night. The poor bloke can't win, even when he dominants people stick the boots in.

Grundy had a good game but he is poor at directional taps and clean hits to advantage into space.
I thought he did mix it up more the other night and mids let him down here.

It is an issue of the midfield and Grundy both need to improve the connection.

Also many times he should of just taken possession when in such a dominant position but chose the soft tap which was repeatedly sharked.

Needs to use his brain and decide when he should and shouldn't do it, not just always listen to the coaches who don't want him grabbing it. Can grab and feed by hand as well, he oft goes for the hack kick when he does it.

But I agree midfield is very overated and a big part of the reason for the disconnect.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Grundy had a good game but he is poor at directional taps and clean hits to advantage into space.
I thought he did mix it up more the other night and mids let him down here.

It is an issue of the midfield and Grundy both need to improve the connection.

Also many times he should of just taken possession when in such a dominant position but chose the soft tap which was repeatedly sharked.

Needs to use his brain and decide when he should and shouldn't do it, not just always listen to the coaches who don't want him grabbing it. Can grab and feed by hand as well, he oft goes for the hack kick when he does it.

But I agree midfield is very overated and a big part of the reason for the disconnect.

100%

Watching the game between Port v WC highlights the stark disparity between the tap work of Grundy and Natanui.

The Eagles are just able to aggressively take off out of the centre clearance and Nit Nat just puts it down their throat.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
100%

Watching the game between Port v WC highlights the stark disparity between the tap work of Grundy and Natanui.

The Eagles are just able to aggressively take off out of the centre clearance and Nit Nat just puts it down their throat.
Nic Nat is the best tap ruckman bar none. But he’s horrible around the ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back