Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
its a losers mentality, getting rewarded for effort means more than getting results these days.
But I’m sure you see it at your work and in private life, close enough is good enough, and repercussions for that attitude are few and far between.

seems to be an accepted part of life these days.

We're living in an era where mental issues related to perfectionism are going through the roof. What you are describing is the opposite of what is occurring. The she'll be right - near enough is good enough attitude that I grew up in has been replaced by a desire for perfection. After a game of footy, all people talk about is the errors and the blokes who didn't perform very well. It's become a hyper-critical society.

A recent quote from Grundy.

“It just feels like a lot of the messaging was ‘your career is only successful if you win a premiership’.

“It has never made sense to me. How can you go through 15 years of your life playing at the highest level but not see it as a success?

“Being able to have that perspective and balance away from football and to love what you do in finding happiness in the journey. That’s more important than the destination.”

Hmm! Very new age. For me this puts a different perspective on my view on AFL coaches in terms of having to man manage/navigate this mindset. It's clearly a tougher gig than I first thought. The above comments are all well and good in today's PC environment however in competitive professional cut throat sport? Further, in my humble opinion, this mindset gives the players a psychological out. Bad luck well played you came up short but there's always next time.

So is this the collective mindset of today's young sportsmen? What are they teaching them at schools nowadays?
Why blame society's ills upon teachers? The job of raising good citizens is the job of parents. Too many over the last 30 years, have given up their responsibilities. There is a mindset that if we pay high fees for a private school education for young Archibald, then those teachers ought to teach our kids (boys in particular), how to function in the world.

Collingwood, some years ago said it was recruiting fine citizens. Remember the story from Derek Hine, that he checks the tidiness of future draftees' bedrooms? I bought into this story. Recruit good young men, who have been well brought up, have good manners and also play footy well. A recipe for success I thought and we probably get it right more than we should really expect.

Brodie, seems from afar, to be a fine young man. The sort of man the club should be recruiting. Smart, talented and articulate. I'd be happy for us to recruit 5 Brodie-types a year. Providing they can play footy and have the chance to become good Collingwood players, it doesn't matter to me if they are not overtly aggressive or have different ideas about the meaning of success.

Why blame society's ills upon teachers? The job of raising good citizens is the job of parents. Too many over the last 30 years, have given up their responsibilities. There is a mindset that if we pay high fees for a private school education for young Archibald, then those teachers ought to teach our kids (boys in particular), how to function in the world.

Collingwood, some years ago said it was recruiting fine citizens. Remember the story from Derek Hine, that he checks the tidiness of future draftees' bedrooms? I bought into this story. Recruit good young men, who have been well brought up, have good manners and also play footy well. A recipe for success I thought and we probably get it right more than we should really expect.

Brodie, seems from afar, to be a fine young man. The sort of man the club should be recruiting. Smart, talented and articulate. I'd be happy for us to recruit 5 Brodie-types a year. Providing they can play footy and have the chance to become good Collingwood players, it doesn't matter to me if they are not overtly aggressive or have different ideas about the meaning of success.
I’d rather someone dedicated to winning then a player that makes his bead and comes across as smart.

Time for Grundy to study how Nic Nat taps the ball. Until Grundy improves that part of his game he won't be worth what we are paying him. If you don't believe me then watch yesterday's replay of WC v Port.

Time for Grundy to study how Nic Nat taps the ball. Until Grundy improves that part of his game he won't be worth what we are paying him. If you don't believe me then watch yesterday's replay of WC v Port.
I would say watch how Nic Nat follows up but you can't watch what he doesn't do can you?

You mean mids that have some fckn clue about how to rove?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not pleased with his last year and his excuse but . . .
The over the top, knee jerk reactions are mostly caused by money.
Imagine if there was somewhere ruckman and midfielders could gather and practice set plays and hitouts. We can only dare to dream

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the story with veteran payments once a player has been at a club for ten years? I heard they scrapped the old rule of only 50% of the player's salary getting counted in the salary cap, but are there still any special rules around veteran's salary in relation to the cap?

What's the story with veteran payments once a player has been at a club for ten years? I heard they scrapped the old rule of only 50% of the player's salary getting counted in the salary cap, but are there still any special rules around veteran's salary in relation to the cap?
This is what I found:
Veterans' Rules
The previous Veterans' List allowance has been replaced with clubs now granted a salary cap allowance for players with 10 completed years or more with the club. ... The fixed percentage has been set at 1.229 per cent and the allowance per player in 2013 is $112,320.

So what does that mean in relation to Grundy's contract once he completes his ten years at the end of 2022?

That was a little tongue in cheek re the teachers.

I have no problem with recruiting a good citizen with a strong family background. And an old bloke like me who has just reentered the workforce and is engaging with and mentoring youngies, I have a fair handle on what makes them tick. In fact all the youngies I deal with have a keen sense of learning and wanting to advance. This of course is in an office based environment not the cut and thrust of high paid professional sport.

Their assets are too different. He'd be better off watching Gawn. NicNat has the advantage of a leap. So his whole focus is on controlling the ball from the moment he leaves the ground. Grundy wins his hitouts by outbodying his opponent, so it's only at the last second that he can pull away from the physical contest in order to try to direct the ball - often he pulls away too late to control the ball and it's a mishit swipe.

Last edited:
Grundy will never be able to tap like Nic Nat and it's ridiculous to think that he will or could. Not a single player in the league can get close to that level of athleticism.

We may as well be criticising Pendles for not playing like Dusty or Dangerfield.

Last edited:
Grundy will never be able to tap like Nic Nat and it's ridiculous to think that he will or could. Not a single player in the league can get close to that level of athleticism.

We may as well be criticising Pendles for not playing like Dusty or Dangerfield.

I'm surprised that we haven't seen more Pacific islanders come through the ranks. the northern academies - where the big communities are - should be promoting really hard in those communities.

Last edited:

Maybe not consistently tap like Nic Nat. But surely, on the occasions when Grundy has already outbodied his opponent and can tap the ball uncontested (e.g. regularly during the game vs brisbane last week), there must be an expectation that his tap must benefit the team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There seems to be a lot of new posters who are even more aggressive and negative

Duly noted and please report to us when you encounter one of these "new" posters.

The mod team are aware of the negative direction that the conversation has taken. We are committed to restoring some balance.

A reminder of the Collingwood board rules we have all agreed to below. Being critical of the club is fine, I have often criticised selection, game plan etc... Having a BF account with Collingwood as your nominated club but only posting to take pot-shots, I'm not sure what the overall value added to the board is.

Gone Critical Maggie5 Anzacday

1617670314552.png

Duly noted and please report to us when you encounter one of these "new" posters.

The mod team are aware of the negative direction that the conversation has taken. We are committed to restoring some balance.

A reminder of the Collingwood board rules we have all agreed to below. Being critical of the club is fine, I have often criticised selection, game plan etc... Having a BF account with Collingwood as your nominated club but only posting to take pot-shots, I'm not sure what the overall value added to the board is.

Gone Critical Maggie5 Anzacday

View attachment 1095120
Jathanas not a criticism but an observation.

I've been around this site since before our last flag, first as an observer before I got registered.

There remains some that constantly skirt the bleeding edge of acceptable behavior and yet have continued to escape censure, yet when posters respond to their garbage the responding posters are censured.

I would hope that this new policy direction will take a look at long term behavior because a drop of water on your nose is nothing but the Chinese know a thing or two about using that don't they. Adding to this posters see these almost trolls getting away with blue murder and it just encourages more to try it.

Jathanas not a criticism but an observation.

I've been around this site since before our last flag, first as an observer before I got registered.

There remains some that constantly skirt the bleeding edge of acceptable behavior and yet have continued to escape censure, yet when posters respond to their garbage the responding posters are censured.

We're not perfect. Help us know when this has happened and perhaps we will be able to explain our decision or rectify our error.

It can't be left to a team of 4 to lift the tone, it has to be supported by the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back