Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope he does read it

Then I guess then we might as well go ahead and Trade

- Moore
- De Goey
- Pendles
- Sidebottom

as well as we might as well Start from Scratch

Which is why JDG is under more pressure. Grundy though needs to suck it up when it comes to media heat.

FWIW no player should be abused online that’s taking it too far.
When the line between media and social media has become so blurry, what's the difference between being criticised by the media and being criticised online

I don`t know if he reads this, but he reads social media. he has alluded to that
Look, he’s not reading your posts, he’s not reading mine. Why would he?

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dave, the club did not offer it, those were the demands of Brodie and his management, yes, we were silly to cave in , that we must own as a club

What were his demands?

What were the club offering?

The only thing we've heard is that we'd have preferred a shorter contract and that Adelaide were offering a $1M plus for 5 years to lure him away. Yet there are more than a few posting crap about him making demands. It's a negotiation FFS. Offer and counter offer. We don't like it and we can let him walk at any time. He can do likewise. So what is it, jealousy that he's successful from posters who didn't get there that underpins all the contract angst?

Matrix10

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
What were his demands?

The only thing we've heard is that we'd have preferred a shorter contract and that Adelaide were offering a $1M plus for 5 years to lure him away. Yet there are more than a few posting crap about him making demands. It's a negotiation FFS. Offer and counter offer. We don't like it and we can let him walk at any time. He can do likewise. So what is it, jealousy that he's successful from posters who didn't get there that underpins all the contract angst?

Let him go to the promised land of home ,Adelaide no angst , good on him for scamming

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
What were his demands?

He wanted a 7 year contract and Adelaide were circling. If he was not pressuring the club why didn't he take the five year offer which was perfectly reasonable and would still be very rewarding financially. Do you think Collingwood out bid itself and extended the contract to seven years on a whim? I don't get it. Of course the players should look after themselves in a ruthless industry, but how much is enough? Half a million a year for five years should set blokes up for life yet that's not enough? Other clubs have had players choose pay cuts and premierships over big bucks and long term contracts. I wish ours had the same spirit.

I think supporters are angry because they feel he is one of the reasons we found ourselves having to offload players or perhaps I'm just projecting! I think Brodie always presented the image of the studious hippy, all about team and the simple life as he road about town on his little bike. It was a let down to see he was as money hunger as any big name in the comp.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He wanted a 7 year contract and Adelaide were circling. If he was not pressuring the club why didn't he take the five year offer which was perfectly reasonable and would still be very rewarding financially. Do you think Collingwood out bid itself and extended the contract to seven years on a whim? I don't get it. Of course the players should look after themselves in a ruthless industry, but how much is enough? Half a million a year for five years should set blokes up for life yet that's not enough? Other clubs have had players choose pay cuts and premierships over big bucks and long term contracts. I wish ours had the same spirit.

I think supporters are angry because they feel he is one of the reasons we found ourselves having to offload players or perhaps I'm just projecting! I think Brodie always presented the image of the studious hippy, all about team and the simple life as he road about town on his little bike. It was a let down to see he was as money hunger as any big name in the comp.

Why should he accept something that isn't what he wants? Just to appease a few keyboard warriors on a social media platform? He did nothing wrong and if the scuttlebutt is right signed an extended deal for considerably less than the Crows were offering. Win - win. We get him cheaper than market value, he gets the security he wanted.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
All this angst about Grundy and his salary, thought it'd be interesting to note what the top earners had done in 2018-2020 in terms of justification for that salary. I've focused on B&F's, AA's and Brownlow's as the significant measures. I realise that several of these players earned their top $$'s 2017 and earlier and that there are other measures applicable. This wasn't meant to be an in-depth analysis, just a quick look. Used the report in the Australian to get the wages. Used Grundy's reported $925,000 from a Ned Guy article cited elsewhere in this thread. Draw your own conclusions.

Estimated 2020 salary - club top earnerClub B&FAABrownlow
MelbourneGawn - $900k18, 1918, 19, 20
WBBontempelli - $1M1919, 20
Port PowerBoak - $775k1920
SwansFranklin - $1.4M18
CatsDangerfield - $1M1918, 19, 20
RichmondMartin - $1.2M18, 20
BrisbaneNeale - $900k18 (Freo), 19, 2019, 2020
WCEMcGovern - $1M18, 19
FreoFyfe - $1.2M191919
GCSSwallow - $800k
GWSKelly - $800k
CarltonCripps - $900k18, 1918, 19
CrowsSloan - $825k
StKildaHill - $875k
EssendonShiel - $775k
HawthornO'Meara - $800k
CollingwoodGrundy - $925k18, 1918, 19
Nth MelbCunnington - $725k19

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
All this angst about Grundy and his salary, thought it'd be interesting to note what the top earners had done in 2018-2020 in terms of justification for that salary. I've focused on B&F's, AA's and Brownlow's as the significant measures. I realise that several of these players earned their top $$'s 2017 and earlier and that there are other measures applicable. This wasn't meant to be an in-depth analysis, just a quick look. Used the report in the Australian to get the wages. Used Grundy's reported $925,000 from a Ned Guy article cited elsewhere in this thread. Draw your own conclusions.

Estimated 2020 salary - club top earnerClub B&FAABrownlow
MelbourneGawn - $900k18, 1918, 19, 20
WBBontempelli - $1M1919, 20
Port PowerBoak - $775k1920
SwansFranklin - $1.4M18
CatsDangerfield - $1M1918, 19, 20
RichmondMartin - $1.2M18, 20
BrisbaneNeale - $900k18 (Freo), 19, 2019, 2020
WCEMcGovern - $1M18, 19
FreoFyfe - $1.2M191919
GCSSwallow - $800k
GWSKelly - $800k
CarltonCripps - $900k18, 1918, 19
CrowsSloan - $825k
StKildaHill - $875k
EssendonShiel - $775k
HawthornO'Meara - $800k
CollingwoodGrundy - $925k18, 1918, 19
Nth MelbCunnington - $725k19

O'Meara and Hill really stand out.

Only a couple of guys on here I'd take ahead of Grundy without thinking. Couple more that are debatable.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back