AFL Club
St Kilda
Welcome to the Sainters, Brodie!

Club: Glenelg
DOB: 20/01/1994
Height: 187cm
Position: Forward
Weight: 86kg

Left-footed medium forward with terrific athleticism highlighted by his pace, agility and vertical leap. Strong overhead and has a terrific work ethic in games as a lead-up forward. Is a long penetrating kick and has the tools to play well in defence. Averaged 12.2 disposals, 4 marks and 2.4 tackles in 5 matches for SA in the NAB AFL U18s this year.
- AFL.com.au
Head recruiter Tony Elshaug on Murdoch:“Brodie came up through South Australia last year and played half a season. He did very well as a forward and kicked a lot of goals. He joined the AIS program at the start of this year. He made his debut for Glenelg, he tested really well at the camp and he is a beautiful left-foot kick who brings a lot of versatility to the club.”

Click Here for:Brodie Murdoch Highlights

Brodie Murdoch - I keep reading on here and other blogs that he is 'like his brother'. Rubbish. They play a totally different brand of football, are built differently and will play different roles at AFL level. Brodie played a lot of his footy back in the SE as a key forward and I remember even last year with ther Glenelg U18's, where he came to prominence, he played at full forward - where he obviously went well and caught the recruiter's eyes. By christ he could take a contested mark! I believe some clubs tried to get him into the initial AIS list (he was eventually added after Dayle Garlett and Jed Anderson left the academy) despite him not playing at the 2011 U18 championships. But the thing was he was never going to be big enough to play as a KP player even at SANFL senior level let alone AFL level. So he needed to learn to play some different roles to help him develop and give him some more scope to be drafted. To their credit, Glenelg worked hard this year to play him different roles, mainly at half back and let's be honest, he took a while to adapt but improved slowly and earned himself a league debut with the Tigers later in the year.
See one of the issues with kids from thew country is they sometimes learn to play in roles through all of their junior years which, ultimately, they wont play at SANFL or AFL level. Brodies flatmate, Tim O'Brien, is another example - he has been playing as a ruckman down in Mount Gambier and whilst he filled in at reserves level and during the U18's campaign he won't be big enough to ruck at AFL level - and so you have the young lads, trying to adjust to the training and playing in Adelaide whilst also, suddenly, playing roles they are not at all familiar with... and it's their draft year just to add to the pressure so there isn't a lot of time to muck about! Many, many challenges.

I think Brodie will go around the mid 30-mid 40 range (his brother went at 41 I think so there is a similarity for you) which would be a great result for him. I have heard he is a ripping young lad off field so lets hope he goes well, gets drafted and who knows - his brother Jordan certainly went very well in his first year so let's hope (along with all of Port MacDonell where the Murdochs come from) we see a lot of him in coming years.
Dietrite - a good accurate summary.Brodie Murdochis his own footballer - very different to his brother - his attack on his ball and agression is afl standard.

I'm a big fan of the Murdoch brothers. Jordan was one of my favourites last year, definitely agree he should have gone higher. I was hoping Fremantle would take him. As for young Brodie, I've been following him since last year as a 17 year old when he was kicking bags out of the goal square. I've been really pleased to see him move up the ground this year, being almost that Goddard/Gilbert type tall utility. I don't think he has the same foot speed or depth on his kicking that Jordan did, but as an all-round player, he does look good.

Brodie Murdoch (SA – Fwd)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 21/01/1994
Recruited from: Glenelg
Range: 30-70
Profile: Murdoch is an undersized key forward who might need to settle into more of a 3rd tall leading role which he is probably more suited to at the next level. At U18 level gets impressive mark totals, but at senior level I suspect this might dry up because with zones it is a lot harder for these leading type forwards to have a great impact. For a tall I really like Murdoch’s kicking and has a really nice left foot on him. Like his brother is also a very high level athlete and has the speed, agility and leap on him.

And this is what chris25 had to say about Murdoch back in February:

Brodie Murdoch
Not a player many would know much of, again people would probably only know the name because of his brother Jordan. He wasn't part of the South Australian U18 squad last year, and only played 6 games for Glenelg in the SANFL U18s - so he only has limited exposure, although kicking 31 goals in those 6 games has certainly helped in getting his name out. I really like what I've seen of him though, and I know there has been some interest in him already.

Whereas Jordan was a half forward, Brodie is more of your classic full forward. Tends to play deep, and leads at the ball. He leads really well, and is a strong mark too. Like Jordan though, he is also a very good kick. He is not unlike Shane Kersten, just not as physically developed yet. It's still very early days for him, but I'm going to say he could be a fringe first round pick this year - provided he measures in well (height wise).

Murdoch_Brodie.jpg

5800207631_41accdf030.jpg
5800779276_64b12c4235.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34664426@N04/7963585214/

I've just noticed that Brodie is quite similar to Siposs,Gwilt and Shenton who both started their careers as big bodied flankers. But at some point at the saints has ended up playing Half back

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up there as well

I think that's what they're hoping for. We look more than set in the forward line so I think they'd like to see him learn to be a HB/winger eventually. Not sure if its been posted in the draftees thread but there's a longer highlights video of him on YouTube where he shows some real pace and delivers pin-point 50m passes.

Yep, versatility is king with Watters and co.

Sounds like a very similar story to Siposs to me. Was previously dominating as an "undersized key forward" in the juniors, but has then had to find other roles to play, because he won't be tall enough to play key forward in the AFL. So hopefully within a couple of years he'll be able to play HFF, wing and HBF at AFL level.

I think that's what they're hoping for. We look more than set in the forward line so I think they'd like to see him learn to be a HB/winger eventually. Not sure if its been posted in the draftees thread but there's a longer highlights video of him on YouTube where he shows some real pace and delivers pin-point 50m passes.

Is it this one

Is it this one

Yep, I think it's slightly longer than the one that was on the Saints site. I like the play at 1:03, if he can do that regularly he's going to be a quality player.

Murdoch growing in confidence:

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-07-09/murdochs-confidence-growing

In just five senior games 19-year-old Brodie Murdoch has shown the ability to play in a range of positions – an attribute that is likely to hold him in good stead for the remainder of the season.

“I’ve played everywhere,” Murdoch says of his first five games.

Murdoch has spent time in the midfield, as well as the forward line, and is becoming accustomed to playing football at AFL level.

“I’m feeling pretty comfortable everywhere now. I’d probably say a small-medium forward (is where) I’d feel most comfortable playing, but I love playing in the midfield,” he says.

There’s still a lot to learn in the midfield structurally, and things like that, but I think I’ve got the right build to play in the midfield.”

At 187 centimetres and with a build that belies his youth – he looks far more physically mature than most first-year players – Murdoch has the physical attributes to play just about anywhere. Coach Scott Watters has encouraged Murdoch to use his size to bully opponents.

“He wants me to take the game on more,” Murdoch explains.

#30 Brodie Murdoch

His 2013 season is a very difficult one to assess.

Murdoch played 17 senior games (9 VFL, 8 AFL) and showed snippets of a different type of player than we have had on the list in recently memory (a genuinely large-framed marking utility with a booming kick). The other redhead (Goddard) aside of course.

His first 3 matches were in the VFL and there was nothing to suggest that an AFL call-up was imminent (albeit he did kick 2 goals in his third match before sitting out the last quarter).

However, he did get the nod ... just 4 days later – travelling to NZ for the Anzac match. The strategy wouldn’t appear to have been the right one, with the conditions suited towards stoppage players – and the opposition (Sydney) being strong. Many players struggled to get their hands on the ball, and whilst Murds got 3 clearances we wasn’t prominent (8 possessions in 79% TOG).

The club decided to persist, and he was made the sub against the filth. He came on in the third quarter when Gilbert injured his knee, and had just one possession.

Murds then played VFL against a team which didn’t win all season (Bendigo), and was named in the best with 25 possessions, 5 marks, 1 goal and 4 tackles.

That was followed by 18 possessions & 4 tackles, 20 possessions & 9 tackles & 1 goal, and 13 possessions & 8 tackles & 3 goals against good VFL opposition.

This strong string of performances saw him return to the AFL. Whilst he had just 11 possessions against Melbourne, nine were contested (including 3 contested marks) and he laid 3 tackles and had a goal assist.

His game the next week against Richmond could also be seen as quiet with 12 possessions, but he managed 6 marks, 3 tackles, 4 inside 50s, and a classy goal kicked from hard on the boundary (going the banana).

In R15 (Freo), again the big numbers weren’t there (13 possessions, albeit 9 players had less than 13) but he continued to show some intensity and had 5 tackles.

The next game Murds was very quiet (8 possessions against Carlton), seemingly struggling with the intensity of playing 4 AFL matches in a row along with Carlton moving the ball quickly all night, and was dropped to the VFL.

In an odd twist he again came up against the kids of Bendigo (after being dropped) and was solid with 20 possessions and a goal. Despite not playing that well against Geelong in the VFL the next round (11 possessions and a goal) the Saints made a bold call to bring him back against Hawthorn.

That didn’t end well, and he had just 7 possessions – albeit taking 7 marks and kicking a long range goal.

Murdoch was made an emergency in R21 (Sydney) before returning against Gold Coast – which confirmed he’d completely run out of petrol for the season (3 possessions in 93% TOG).

So yes, that was all over the shop – with no form line being evident at all. It did appear (even at the time) that we were being a little hasty with him, and I’ve no doubt that he was a major beneficiary of the plan to accelerate the development of the 1st & 2nd year players.

Possibly his unusually strong build for an 18yo (and his adaptability to playing in defence, as a forward, and in a run-with midfield capacity) might have led the coaches to assume he was more ready than was the case in reality.

Although Murds does seem to have the potential to be a regular in Saints colours if he can increase his fitness. With 65m drop punts being in his kit-bag, a decent tank could see him being extremely damaging to the opposition (the sort of player who can hurt with only 15 touches). I’m hoping that the opportunities given to him is reflective that the club has no doubt that he can develop his capacity to run, and be that player.

I think he should learn the trade up forward in the mold of Ryan O'keefe, with brief spells in the mid field

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I wouldn't put him back, only because we already have Newnes, Wright, Webster, Gilbert, Roberton and co. We really only have Siposs and Markworth as HFF flankers

I assume they'll keep throwing him around (as a true utility).

Unless Faz is stiffed again, possibly it comes down to where the gap is when there are injuries. It is difficult to slot him into the best 25 squad - particularly if the club elects to play two ruckmen, with Stanley to play a different role (hopefully that mobile third tall forward).

decent player but goes very quiet at times, hopefully he can improve this year

Enough of the tumble weed jokes and the lack of discussion..

A new year, a fresh start for this kid..

Lets get this party started..

#30 Brodie Murdoch

Strong, athletic and damaging utility
188cm, 78kg

20 (born January 21, 1994)

Drafted: Round 2, Pick 40 - 2012 AFL National Draft (Glenelg)
Debut: Round 5, 2013 v Sydney @ Westpac Stadium, Wellington

An AIS Academy graduate, performed well at the national combine showing his athletic traits. Played as a key forward in his younger years, he is an excellent size for the modern game, with a big tank and frame making him a powerful player at the contest but with the penetrating left foot that is an absolute weapon for Brodie.

AFL Stats

Career Averages 2013 Average 2014 Average Change Career Highs
Games: 17 Games: 8 Games: 9 +1
D: 7.8 D: 7.9 D: 7.6 -0.3 15 (R11, 2014)
K: 5.1 K: 4.9 K: 5.2 +0.3 10 (R18, 2014)
H: 2.7 H: 3.0 H: 2.4 -0.6 6 (R15, 2013)
M: 3.3 M: 3.4 M: 3.2 -0.2 7 (R20, 2013)
T: 1.5 T: 2.1 T: 1.0 -1.2 5 (R15, 2013)
G: 0.4 G: 0.3 G: 0.5 +0.2 1 (R23, 2014)

Sub 2013: 1
Sub 2014: 5

Reasonable first year in the AFL which saw him play from Rnd 5-6 and 13-16 as well as some games at the end of the year. Rounds 14 and 15 saw him do a job on Brett Deledio through the middle and Michael Walters in defence. Was widely applauded for his job on Walters registering career bests in tackles and handballs for the game. Walters was kept to 13 possessions and 1 goal, showing Murdochs flexibility to play in almost any position on the ground.

His 2014 year was marred by substitute vests, struggling to find any consistency in the seniors. His best game was his first for the year against Collingwood on a friday night, registering 15 possessions - a career high. Played more predominantly as a third tall when he was allowed full game time, a reflection of a constantly changing forward set up for the Saints. His VFL form built throughout the year, registering some terrific games for the Zebras.

VFL Stats

Career Averages 2013 Average 2014 Average Change Career Highs
Games: 19 Games: 9 Games: 10 +1
D: 16.5 D: 15.9 D: 17.0 -1.1 38 (R14, 2014)
K: 8.8 K: 9.0 K: 8.5 -0.5 26 (R14, 2014)
H: 7.7 H: 6.9 H: 8.5 -1.6 13 (R19, 2014)
M: 3.2 M: 2.8 M: 3.6 +0.8 11 (R14, 2013)
T: 4.2 T: 4.3 T: 4.0 -0.3 9 (R9, 2013)
G: 0.8 G: 1.0 G: 0.6 -0.4 3 (R10, 2013)

I actually thought Murdoch's stats would be a bit better than what is shown. His 2014 averages are pumped up massively by his 38 possession, 11 mark game against Frankston in Rnd 14 this year, registering career highs for disposals, kicks and marks. Flexibility was a huge part of his game as he found himself playing off the flanks with stints in the centre. The Frankston game saw him sit across half back, as the spare man during parts, but was given license to attack and showed his attributes in the best game he has played at any level in the past 2 years.

Flexibility became a massive part of his game, as he transitioned from a third tall in the forward line in his first year to a fully fledged midfielder, learning the caper as he went. Built as the season went on, but there is no doubt his transition between AFL and VFL would have hampered his consistency, especially with him being used as the substitute on numerous occasions.

What can we expect?

Bull's biggest challenge is finding the football, the biggest knock on him being his ability to generate possession. In saying this, most of his disposals are quality and his retention rate is very good so he is already a dangerous player. He needs to build on his Frankston game from the VFL last season. Funnily enough, his best games at either level have come in defence, where his hardness for the ball and contest as well as his elite disposal have served him well.

I would really like to see Bull be given a generous run at it, whether in the VFL or AFL, and given the responsibility his skills and attributes deserve. This includes not being the sub (which I feel he has gone through his fair share of) and perhaps be given a set position, something that hasn't been able to happen in his exposure to numerous positions on the ground.

With game totals of 8 and 9 in the last two years I would like to see him break through into the teens with at least 13 games this season, injury permitting. If he can generate more possession and plays to his strengths he could be a formidable player for us whatever position or role is asked of him.

What do you think? How do you rate Brodie so far in his career? What are the issues he is facing? Is he a lock for our team in the future? What does he need to work on? What are you expectations of him in 2015?

Of all our younger ones, he is right up there near the top of those that I most want to reach their full potential (especially if that is in the guts), such are the attributes that he has (especially his kicking, marking, size, athletic attributes, physicality). Him using that big frame in the midfield to win lots of clearances and tackle and him using his super-clean and strong marking and powerful left boot around the ground and especially when pushing inside the forward 50 with a mismatch would be awesome if he reached that potential.

Really hoping that he has a killer preseason and that he has a clear run at his footy for the next couple of seasons.

As I said earlier in the advocate thread.. I'm very happy he lasted to me so late in the piece as I always thought that if he got it all together he would become a very good afl footballer, especially considering where we picked him up in the draft

Murdoch, Siposs, Membrey & Markworth

4 players one position

Versatility - Murdoch (forward back midfield)

Exposed form - Siposs (Well he's got the highest numbers)

Skills - Markworth (glimpses of real talent and skill)

Marking/goal kicking - Membrey

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Murdoch:

Was involved in 5 substitutions last year and averaged 52 CD points per 100 minutes - poor for a general forward.

He played all but one of the final 6 rounds and ranked 3rd at the club for marks inside 50 and 5th for scoreboard impact in that time.

When moved into the middle in the VFL he flourished, in his best game he collected 38 disposals and a combined 11 inside 50s/rebound 50s.

Thought I'd show Brodie "The Bull" Murdoch some love as he seems to be the forgotten man. Has had a horrible run with injuries and esp last year with his back which required surgery and ended up coming back half way through the season to the VLF. Managed to play the last few games of the year and didn't look out of place.

If this kid can get his body right , he will be a beast with a 60 metre weapon on him. Strong as an ox and has decent speed, just needs his luck to change with injuries and could be a real surprise packet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back