News Brodie Smith signs three year contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

With our emerging talent on the wing and half back... really not sure if this is the right move.

Obviously a very good player but he's signed until he is 32. Seems unnecessary. Feel like a 1-2 year deal was more appropriate or let him walk as a FA

With our emerging talent on the wing and half back... really not sure if this is the right move.

Obviously a very good player but he's signed until he is 32. Seems unnecessary. Feel like a 1-2 year deal was more appropriate or let him walk as a FA
Yeah a 2 year deal would've been spot on IMO.

Hopefully he gets back to his 2019 form, as his leg seemed to desert him last year. Still our main metres gained guy, so hopefully he doesn't fall off a cliff like pretty much every Crow does once they hit 28.

Disagree with Sentiments above.

Front loaded 3 year deal for a AA player who is a great mentor for the Swathe of young running HB/wingmen we have and is in our leadership group?

As long as we're not overpaying him (and lets be honest, who are paying in the next 2 years anyhow?)

Yeah, I don't know about this. Could work well if we look at going outside again this draft, and give them a year to develop in the SANFL whilst we phase Brodie out.

Seems very odd though, but if Smith is a good person to have around the club, it's probably ok.

Last edited:
Takes him to around age 32.5 at the end of the deal. If its front loaded then I think its fine, hopefully not on too much in the final 2 years. Sounds like a generous deal. Made a few blunders by foot last year which was unlike him in previous years, hopefully sorts it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Takes him to around age 32.5 at the end of the deal. If its front loaded then I think its fine, hopefully not on too much in the final 2 years. Sounds like a generous deal. Made a few blunders by foot last year which was unlike him in previous years, hopefully sorts it out.

I think his kicking has been slightly off for a while now. I think it actually dates back to when he had multiple concussions a number of years back. Prior to that he was an absolutely lethal kick in terms of both distance and accuracy - the equal of anyone in the comp, I reckon. Since then, he's still been a generally good kick, but not at the level he was prior to that.

I'm OK with this deal - takes him into his early 30s without locking us in for something excessive like some of the 5 year deals that have been done. Keeps him around to provide guidance and leadership for some of the younger players we've got coming through, then has him out the door once those young players are ready to take ownership of the team from this older group.

Not that fussed about three years. He's not a KPP or an inside mid getting banged up every week, or a guy with a history of injuries. He's a half-back with minimal injury issues apart from 2018.

So is this going to be the next player who breaks down and ends up collecting a paycheck to either sit on the injury list or play SANFL?

I hope not but frankly this contract is poor list management on display yet again.

Good move, had to be signed up as his only value is as a contracted player. 3 years is ok, clearly will be front ended, putting the Crouch/ Tippett/ Dangerfield war chest to good use.

Very happy with that, we need a good age balance to continue, it's up to the younger boys to push him out.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

So is this going to be the next player who breaks down and ends up collecting a paycheck to either sit on the injury list or play SANFL?

I hope not but frankly this contract is poor list management on display yet again.

Well that depends on the 2021 draft. Breaks down in 2022-2023 and we have his replacement waiting in the wings? Well Smith breaking down is not a big problem. It is if we plan on Smith being in the best 22 until the end of his contract, and don't want to acknowledge his career is winding down.

This is no Sloane to 2023 where it is looking very dicey outside of being a good person to eat up cap space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back