News Brodie Smith signs three year contract extension

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty funny that Smith laughed and then got a bit defensive when a reporter implied that Rory Laird had taken his spot in the midfield rotation.

Certainly in his eyes his days running through the mid are not over. Whether that's midfield or just as a wingman i'm not too sure

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Pretty funny that Smith laughed and then got a bit defensive when a reporter implied that Rory Laird had taken his spot in the midfield rotation.

Certainly in his eyes his days running through the mid are not over. Whether that's midfield or just as a wingman i'm not too sure
Good.

Competition for individual roles raises the overall team.

Especially among senior players.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Last edited:

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
Bit of a meh decision, two years seemed more on the mark but am happy its not 4 or 5.

Without any data backing my opinion, I feel his precise kicking over the least couple of season is not what it once was.

He, like all (most) senior players last season let their younger team mates, the club and supporters down with their attitude & application.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Yeah Smithers is a good guy to have around the club, funny character that keeps the spirits up, will still be a best 22 guy for the next couple of seasons before maybe moving to depth in the final year of his contract

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Happy enough with 3 years. Agree with others here though that would like it to be front ended though.

Needs to be a policy that nobody 25 or over receives any longer than 3 years. These longer deals have killed us recently.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't really like contracting a player past the age of 30. Would have traded him a few years back when he had more currency. Just hope he lifts his performance as he wasn't overly impressive in 2020.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
So is this going to be the next player who breaks down and ends up collecting a paycheck to either sit on the injury list or play SANFL?

I hope not but frankly this contract is poor list management on display yet again.
Being blindly cynical isn't any better than being a club apologist. Anyone can just assume the worst 100% of the time. Smith may indeed get injured but nobody is going to think you're nostradamus if it happens. Just a broken clock.

Smith is easily worth another 2 years and he got 3. It's hardly worth complaining about.

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good signing. Length is fine. Smith isn't a one-dimensional player which makes him less of a risk on a slightly longer deal.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think this is great news. He has been one of our better performers in some pretty lean years for the club. But I think his signing serves another purpose, in that it sends a message there are people that is willing to be a one-club player for the club. To build a positive club culture, you need loyal players who are willing to stick with the club through thick and thin.

Can see him play at least 2 good seasons, so a 3-year signing seems reasonable enough.

skittlebrew

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just lacks a little inside grunt. Good thing we drafted Pedlar & Berry.

Loving the look of Berry.

I think grunt might not be too bad. Crouch can find the ball and I think Schoey is tracking well but I wouldn't expect too much from him right now.

But we're definitely lacking class and none are proper goal kicking threats.

I've been waiting so long to get a jet midfielder, hopefully 2021 will be the year we draft one.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Loving the look of Berry.

I think grunt might not be too bad. Crouch can find the ball and I think Schoey is tracking well but I wouldn't expect too much from him right now.

But we're definitely lacking class and none are proper goal kicking threats.

I've been waiting so long to get a jet midfielder, hopefully 2021 will be the year we draft one.
Was going to ask why you're worrying about goals from our mids but then I remembered what our forward line looks like.

That line up seriously lacks any sort of firepower.

At the moment, but not too surprising seeing how far behind the 8-ball we are midfield wise.

Baby steps, my good man.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Being blindly cynical isn't any better than being a club apologist. Anyone can just assume the worst 100% of the time. Smith may indeed get injured but nobody is going to think you're nostradamus if it happens. Just a broken clock.

Smith is easily worth another 2 years and he got 3. It's hardly worth complaining about.

For a broken clock I'm right a hell of a lot more than twice a day.

Your comments are the exact same responses I got on both Betts and Jenkins.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
For a broken clock I'm right a hell of a lot more than twice a day.

Your comments are the exact same responses I got on both Betts and Jenkins.
Debatable

Back