Player Watch Brody Mihocek

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why? We used to have the same sort of rule, with only one 17 year old. We diidn't see any legal action then. We didn't see this occur when we stopped drafting 16 or 17 year olds at all.

But there's (for obvious reasons) little evidence to suggest 16-17 year olds could transition to AFL in 2019 in the same way the Watsons of yesteryear did whereas there are ample examples of 18 year old draftees making an impact year 1. So you're comparing a potential 1-2 players who may well be physically ready as 16 or 17 years old with 80-100 or even more 18 year olds who think they're ready, think they should be getting their opportunity to show that, and (even recent) history demonstrates they've got a case. AFL would bury an individual bringing a case but weight of numbers would scare the shoit out of them.

But there's (for obvious reasons) little evidence to suggest 16-17 year olds could transition to AFL in 2019 in the same way the Watsons of yesteryear did whereas there are ample examples of 18 year old draftees making an impact year 1. So you're comparing a potential 1-2 players who may well be physically ready as 16 or 17 years old with 80-100 or even more 18 year olds who think they're ready, think they should be getting their opportunity to show that, and (even recent) history demonstrates they've got a case. AFL would bury an individual bringing a case but weight of numbers would scare the shoit out of them.

I still don't get it. I'm suggesting clubs should be able to take 1 18 year old. An 18 year old challenging the legality of the system in that scenario wouldn't really be any different than an 18 year old or actually a footballer of any age legally challenging the current system if he misses out on getting drafted.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Or do some of these players get a kick in the arse or the added motivation by not getting drafted?
Could it be that some players just don't mature into players until they mature as people?

That is what I am saying. I am not saying that talent scouts are missing good players at 18. I am saying that they are NOT good players until they make 22 or 25 or whatever the age might be. Yes, they might get a kick in the arse...yes yes

But that doesnt mean that you should NOT draft them at 25 and pick a wet nosed 18 year old....

I am NOT saying that recruiters made a mistake by not drafting Mihocek at 18. I am saying that recruiters are continuing to ignore 25 year olds when they are actually 25 years of age ( not when they are 18 but when they are 25) and are picking 18 year olds instead....

I think that is fairly clear isnt it?

Having said that, I think Mihocek could have been recruited one year earlier than he did. There were clear indications that he had matured and grown intellectually and spiritually when he was 24 and I personally would have chosen him instead of rookieing an 18 year old. I might have also chosen him ahead of a basketballer or an irish footballer, but thats another argument but perhaps another example where the recruiters pick someone sexy rather than a meat and potatoes footballer

That is what I am saying. I am not saying that talent scouts are missing good players at 18. I am saying that they are NOT good players until they make 22 or 25 or whatever the age might be. Yes, they might get a kick in the arse...yes yes

But that doesnt mean that you should NOT draft them at 25 and pick a wet nosed 18 year old....

I am NOT saying that recruiters made a mistake by not drafting Mihocek at 18. I am saying that recruiters are continuing to ignore 25 year olds when they are actually 25 years of age ( not when they are 18 but when they are 25) and are picking 18 year olds instead....

I think that is fairly clear isnt it?

Having said that, I think Mihocek could have been recruited one year earlier than he did. There were clear indications that he had matured and grown intellectually and spiritually when he was 24 and I personally would have chosen him instead of rookieing an 18 year old. I might have also chosen him ahead of a basketballer or an irish footballer, but thats another argument but perhaps another example where the recruiters pick someone sexy rather than a meat and potatoes footballer

Agree with all of that, but if that's what you initially meant, your opening sentence of the previous post was a shocker.:)

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Agree with all of that, but if that's what you initially meant, your opening sentence of the previous post was a shocker.:)

I failed english at school. I thought as a Pie supporter it was my duty. I knocked my own front teeth out too.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
OK. I'm now confused. A Melbourne flog would have written "a PHD in floggery". Capital letters and a more impressive sounding version of flog.

oh i thought you were talking about being flogged by head prefects at melb grammar.... i went from being a floggee to a flogger and then i did an exhaustive study under alan jones while i was in sydney...

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I still don't get it. I'm suggesting clubs should be able to take 1 18 year old. An 18 year old challenging the legality of the system in that scenario wouldn't really be any different than an 18 year old or actually a footballer of any age legally challenging the current system if he misses out on getting drafted.

The chances of any 1 individual challenging the system is extremely remote but if you restrict the number of 18 year old's who can be selected to 18 from a pool of many many hundreds then you'll have a lot more disgruntled players willing to take the chance. Even clubs could potentially get involved. Look at us with our multiple F/S and academy options over the last couple of seasons.

That's completely different from an 18 year old who isn't rated in the top 80-120 players selected by clubs currently at a draft thinking he's better than 18 clubs do and that he should have been picked. Who are they actually going to sue and for what?

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The current situation is restriction of trade. Players sign up before the draft agreeing to the process - or they arent registered to be drafted. So you cant sign a release and then sue the AFL. If clubs tried to recruit outside the system, they would be deregistered by the AFL.

http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=2658444

"If selected at the Draft, I shall accept employment with the AFL Club selecting me and shall enter into a contract with that Club for the period of at least two (2) years and for the following remuneration"

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Make it under 19 comp and not under 18. Afterwards kids can play in local and state leagues. I reckon football in general right across the senior leagues would benefit. Without seeing any data, I suspect that the drop off rate is really high for under 18 kids who don't get drafted. If you went with my suggestion, you'd get less kids dropping off because they'd still have a decent shot at getting drafted if they improved. Thus better local and state leagues. Those who got drafted later would be better prepared physically, mentally and emotionally. Thus I wouldn't be surprised if it also resulted in better mental health outcomes. You'd still probably have 36 teenagers selected every year. Its just that the other 30 draftees would be in their 20s and better prepared.

What do they do between 18-19 after school finishes? Not everyone goes to college kids like Dane Swan would slip through the cracks.

Also imo there is sweet FA difference between 18 and 19 as a draft age but by 21 there is some maturity starting to build both mentally and physically.

They would need some type of under 21s national comp fully funded by AFL imo for it to work as intended and not lose kids.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I haven't looked at the actual age rules, I'm just going by the name Under 18s, They do allow a few exceptions. Whatever the current age cut off is, I'd like them to add a year.

No real diff between 18 and a 19yo.

18 to a 21 yo then we are talking a lot change.

One thing I hate about it is the many kids who can impact early don't get the opportunity too.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
Yes actually it’s a comparison of the value of an underpaid rookie versus an overpaid number 1 draft pick.
A shame you chose to read more into it.

Patton?
Watts?

No real diff between 18 and a 19yo.

18 to a 21 yo then we are talking a lot change.

One thing I hate about it is the many kids who can impact early don't get the opportunity too.
How many 18 year olds taken after pick 18 genuinely impact in their first year? And my theory is 1 18 year old, 1 19 year old and any others 20+. Every draft system will have its winners and losers, but i reckon it gives an opportunity to the precocious kids as well as kids who take longer to develop. As well as keeping more kids playing for longer, becasue they still are a really good chance of getting drafted down the track.

I don't really see the Dane Swan issue, like Mihocek he was a footballer who would have played footy even if he wasn't in the AFL, but even if he didn't, for eevery Dane Swan you lose, I reckon you would gain 2, becasue immature 18 year olds wouldn't walk away from the gain becasue they missed getting picked in their draft year, becasue there is no longer 1 draft year for an age group.

I forget he is still on our rookie list and think he only got a one year contract didn't he?

Think he may need a bit more security at the end of the year.
Pretty sure he got 2 or 3 years. The cat A rookie list doesn't mean anything anymore. Now that they can play without LTI, all it means is that their first contract was a one year contract. There's no reason to promote someone unless you u want to juggle which draft your taking a particular kid in. Last year we wanted to leave a couple of national draft picks vacant because it meant we could take an extra couple of fake picks worth of academy points inti the draft for Quaynor and Kelly. Hence Mihocek stayed on the rookie list.

Pretty sure he got 2 or 3 years. The cat A rookie list doesn't mean anything anymore. Now that they can play without LTI, all it means is that their first contract was a one year contract. There's no reason to promote someone unless you u want to juggle which draft your taking a particular kid in. Last year we wanted to leave a couple of national draft picks vacant because it meant we could take an extra couple of fake picks worth of academy points inti the draft for Quaynor and Kelly. Hence Mihocek stayed on the rookie list.
You are right 2020. Maybe I should check first.:$

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Brody Mihocek, had a great year to date but missing from 20 m out directly in front, really!

Back