zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
Short story long, broke the wrist yesterday and my gains are melting just thinking about it. Can’t be smashing legs out everyday so any ideas on exercises I can do to maintain the upper portion of my body?

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Short story long, broke the wrist yesterday and my gains are melting just thinking about it. Can’t be smashing legs out everyday so any ideas on exercises I can do to maintain the upper portion of my body?

I’ve had a number of wrist injuries, never broken it though. Mine have been tendon/nerve issues.

You can try training one side only, so that you don’t lose too much strength when you go back and your other wrist recovers.

You can also get an attachment for your wrist that goes over the cast that still allows you to use the cable pulley.

Leg training, even on the leg press/leg extension can still be painful as you tend to squeeze your hands and you probably didn’t even realise you were doing it until you get a wrist injury.

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
I’ve had a number of wrist injuries, never broken it though. Mine have been tendon/nerve issues.

You can try training one side only, so that you don’t lose too much strength when you go back and your other wrist recovers.

You can also get an attachment for your wrist that goes over the cast that still allows you to use the cable pulley.

Leg training, even on the leg press/leg extension can still be painful as you tend to squeeze your hands and you probably didn’t even realise you were doing it until you get a wrist injury.
I’m thinking of putting the pulley cable handles through my arm and maybe do some side raises. Other than that and chest flys using the forearms don’t really see what else I can do

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
No but don’t want to be all uneven

Having a dominant side in day to day living or other sports would be doing far more to making you uneven than a few weeks to a couple of months of unilateral training.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

Long story short.......

I suggest you just let your wrist heal rather than push through and lengthen the healing process. Sure it will suck only being able to train legs, but if you allow time for your wrist to heal in say 4-6 weeks (with complete rest) that’s better than it slowly healing over 8-10 weeks.

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
Long story short.......

I suggest you just let your wrist heal rather than push through and lengthen the healing process. Sure it will suck only being able to train legs, but if you allow time for your wrist to heal in say 4-6 weeks (with complete rest) that’s better than it slowly healing over 8-10 weeks.
You now how it is when an injury gets thrown at a gym junkie, the idea of resting for a month is unbearable. Just have to accept the fact the arms and shoulders are going to get smaller, just seeing if I can scrap out an exercise or two which doesn't involve the wrist and may help with at least a little bit of maintenance

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
You now how it is when an injury gets thrown at a gym junkie, the idea of resting for a month is unbearable. Just have to accept the fact the arms and shoulders are going to get smaller, just seeing if I can scrap out an exercise or two which doesn't involve the wrist and may help with at least a little bit of maintenance

My greatest fear during footy season is doing an AC joint

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs

Just think of it as a way to get massive wheels, then when you can train upper again reduce volume/frequency of legs to maintain your size while focusing on your upper body.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Cane your abs too obviously. Side crunches. Legs, bit of Cardio.

Keep your mind strong, and enjoy some respite while you can. As if you're not going to train your ass off when you heal anyway.

Won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Chin up and good luck. Not that you need it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Cane your abs too obviously. Side crunches. Legs, bit of Cardio.

Keep your mind strong, and enjoy some respite while you can. As if you're not going to train your ass off when you heal anyway.

Won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Chin up and good luck. Not that you need it.

People do seem to overstate time off.
Let’s say it’s 3 months . . .
If you train for 20 years you’ve only missed 1.2% of your entire possible training.
I see people programming deloads as 25% of their training *cough*5/3/1*cough* so it’s doubtful you’d even notice that 1.2%

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I strained my wrist about 5 weeks ago. Woke up one morning with a sore wrist and gradually got worse. I’ve totally modified my training now, and have cut out a lot of lifts that tended to aggravate it. I’ve also reviewed my technique and loads. Aeglos helped me out actually with my loads and progression.

I am now doing a lot more purposeful training. Sled Pulls, Farmers Walks, log Presses, deadlifts and squats. My wrist still hurts a bit from time to time, but all in all it’s dramatically better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back