Toast Broomy and Shaz

Remove this Banner Ad

Both players had talent, neither of them really got a fair shot at building on that talent.

Shaz might still get a look in somewhere else, as he's played some quality football at a fairly high level for us previously in 2017 and 2018 despite being cast as an undersized KPD at times, so I think he's still got something to offer if a club wants to take a chance on him.

Personally I wouldn't have baulked at retaining him for another year just as a wait and see, especially if Langdon hangs up the boots, but I guess we have to make some tough choices and it doesn't look like there would be much opportunity for him at the club going forward with Howe, Moore, Roughead, Crisp, and now probably also Madgen ahead of him in the pecking order as far as mid-sized and tall defenders go, and hopefully both Keane and Murphy also pushing through.

that 2013 draft really hurts. given Sheed and Cripps were picked slightly after we picked Freeman and Shaz.
Every draft a lottery and sadly our unlucky number came up twice - neither player's injury ravaged careers could have been foreseen.
Every reason to suppose with the lost list spots that crippled our drafting that it cost us a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always sad to see good players go, especially in this instance where neither got anywhere near their potential. Collingwood has done the right thing by them - getting them fit before delisting so they have the best chance of being picked up. Not a good look when you cut your injured players - undermines the confidence of the rest of the group.

Every draft a lottery and sadly our unlucky number came up twice - neither player's injury ravaged careers could have been foreseen.
Every reason to suppose with the lost list spots that crippled our drafting that it cost us a flag.
Both Freeman and Scharenberg had injury issues at the time of drafting. It is still a lottery though like you said.

Both Freeman and Scharenberg had injury issues at the time of drafting. It is still a lottery though like you said.
Agreed but Shazza at least had different injury issue than those which cost him his career - it was foot injuries of some sort if I remember correctly.

Injuries and careers...
Go figure.
Bartlett
Tuck
Fletcher
That little Scum runt who just retired.
Between them over 1500 games and bodies like twigs...
Luck of the draw.
Thanks blokes for trying so bloody hard through so much pain and frustration after your early dreams.

Tough days for these two and they were both unlucky. All the best. They did however get 7 and 8 seasons as Collingwood players and ran out onto the MCG in that famous jumper. They lived our dream but their dream wasn’t fully lived, still not too bad. Hope they always look back on the good memories

Very sad to see the unrealised talent of these guys. Broomy in particular was a favorite. Good luck to them both 2021 and beyond.

Sad to see two good guys cut but not surprised. My 12yo son has this weird connection with underdog players - his faves are always the battlers and in recent times Broomy has been his pet project. We talk about Broomy on a daily basis - whether he might be selected this week etc...or this week whether he will survive.

Can't say I am going to miss the daily chats but sad for him lol.

Unfortunately with the potential changes to list sizes some player who really don't deserve it may be cut.

PS spoke too soon.................he just presented me with a video highlights/thankyou video that he did for Broomy. :)

And he might be rookied lol

I like your story.

A real shame that injuries had a real impact on the careers of both fellas, I wishing them all the best for the next stage.

Full credit to Broomy getting back to play senior footy on the back of that broken leg

Shaz was a favourite of mine and I was always holding out hope he could lock in a spot in our side but it wasn't to be. Hopefully he gets a chance at another club somewhere and can get a few years of injury-free footy behind him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back