Universal Love Brown signs on for 2 years

FantasticShirt

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2010
Melbourne + Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I seriously rate Brown. I reckon 30,000+ of our members wouldn't pick him out of a line up but he's so damn consistent for such a young player and a very important part of our backline.

Great to have him locked in for 2 more years. I'm sure he'd be looking to try arrange a bigger deal in 2 years time.

Mckaye17

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would anyone be open to doing our whole list and their current contract status'? Would love to know where our squad stands...

Sorry, just found the thread.

headache1

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 10, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
I reckon it's more likely that we just decided to hold off on progressing contract talks until the bye, and now they're working their way through the system.

Gives time for Reid to come in, familiarise himself with existing player contracts, set a strategy for our TPP going forward, and work out what external targets we can fit in. Well, that's what my optimistic side is saying anyway.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is an opinion based on simply watching the last 3 years. Brown is very very good in a 1 on 1 contest even against the best small forwards. Rarely loses them.

I think Laird is good, but have seen him struggle 1 on 1 more often.

If Laird played the amount of time on the best small forward like Brown does, then we could compare goals against.
One of the big problems our team has is lack of run from the backline. Brown, Talia, Hartigan and Kelly all lack the ability to attack. We are relying on Lever and Smith to provide that. Laird is also an attacking option which is sorely needed.
Browns opposition never has to worry about him hurting him on the rebound, whereas Lairds opponant almost has to tag him.

Bosley

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 9, 2008
Port Hedland
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide United, QPR
All hail Browny!

yF8lZjd.gif

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
One of the big problems our team has is lack of run from the backline. Brown, Talia, Hartigan and Kelly all lack the ability to attack. We are relying on Lever and Smith to provide that. Laird is also an attacking option which is sorely needed.
Browns opposition never has to worry about him hurting him on the rebound, whereas Lairds opponant almost has to tag him.

Yes alright so we both are Laird is better than Brown offensively. As I said in my first sentence.

I hope Brown adds a little more run and carry as he'll go from a good AFL role player to very good AFL player.

At the moment I'm not too worried. The amount of turnovers caused through the middle probably call for closer checking of the small forwards.

Long term when players are fit, we'll have Jaensch, Laird, Lever, Cheney and most probably Smith at times running out of defence. They are all pretty good on the rebound.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I like the thinking but it's a pretty poor player manager who would cop that as the reason for only giving 2 years if others of his ilk are getting 3 years.

same ilk?

IMO Laird is a fair comparison and don't get me wrong I love Browny however looking at Laird's form he has probably deserved an extra year

Archie87

Club Legend
Feb 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Onya Browny:hearts::hearts::hearts:.

The thing I love most about him is the fact no opposition supporters know who the **** he is yet come Monday after the game, they'll say: "Gee, [insert best small forward here] was bloody quiet. What happened there?" That's because they just got Luke ****ing Brown'ed!!!!!!

lunacy

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
So tell me how many goals has Laird had kicked on him vs Brown?
A great deal more if he played as a deep small defender on guys like Ballantyne, Breust, Thomas, Wingard etc.

Silly comment. Both are tracking very well and very different players. Laird couldn't do what Brown does and vice versa.

My guess, it just comes down to money. With 2 years of good footy he can push for more with a new contract in year three this way.

Laird might have been happy to accept less dollars in exchange for the extra year.

fairfooty

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2010
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Chelsea
Really pleased. Really like this kid. The two years looks like an attempt to manage contracts to me - it was starting to look like an awful lot were going to expire all at once in three years time - wouldn't mind betting this is an attempt to stagger the expiries with say an option to extend for another two - at least thats what i'd do. :D

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers
Reckon we're seeing Lairdy pretty close to his peak (his season has been one out of the box - it's hard to imagine bringing too much more than he already is - and he's being rewarded for it). I think there's probably a lot more upside to come for Luke though (as good as his last couple of years have been).

It's a bloody good effort when you're generally getting the oppositions best small forward each week to conceded less than a goal a game.

Great signing

Back