Damo80

Premiership Player
Jul 11, 2011
Latrobe Valley
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
I thought it worth starting a post on this for those who missed the quote from the club during trade week. I was prompted partly from discussion throughout trade week, and again just now reading posters calling for Browne to be cut loose in the delisting thread.

He's a real whipping boy amongst supporters, and I admit I was one who, even a month ago, probably would have said "move him on, he won't make it", BUT Craig Cameron was quoted only days ago as saying that Browne is seen as our future. There's no point calling for his delisting, regardless of your personal point of view - it's fine to have an opinion on whether he's any good, or more to the point, whether he's likely to ever be any good, but at this point in time, the club expect him to be our ruckman in the medium to long term. May as well cross your fingers for him, and wish him luck. The club's not going to be giving up on him in the near future!

I have met him, and he's a great guy.

I think he has huge potential too.

I would not be surprised if he just rips it apart in the next year or two.

Remember, Sandilands, Cox, Jolly, Jamar, all big tall guys who took there time to get going.

Oct 21, 2010
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Richmond
A few pointers for Browne

• Improve tap work
• Improve marking
• Improve tackling
• Improve endurance and stamina
• Improve agility and speed

Right now all he has is work ethic, but that can only get you so far.

rammbo

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2011
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
If browne is gonna b our project ruckman he better start improving next year which i cannot see happening .

Dec 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't understand why supporters want his head. In one of the T/D/R threads I commented on Browne's match against Essendon. Dreamtime at the 'G. Anyways, after I watched that game, my perception of Browne completely changed. The guy gives 110% and never gives up. Isn't that the definition of being a Tiger? Sure, you can improve and learn ruckman skills such as tap work and stamina but the kid has a unique quality.

Before I cop any crap, I invite you all to watch the match first. He was clumsy but he was still damn impressive.

The kid is still 21, have we not learnt from past experiences that bigger men take a while to develop?

Regular Gonzales

Debutant
Sep 18, 2008
At home
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought he was impressive this year considering his age and experience.
Really think he keeps improving at his current rate he might well be.

RichosGuns

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
your house
AFL Club
Richmond
Will be a gun imo. Has only been on the list for 3 years.

Has improved consistently over each year. I reckon he won't full "click" until he is 24/25 and I am prepared to give him a spot on the list until then. Dominates VFL level - averaged 22 disposals and 30 hitouts a game in 2011 at VFL level and would have been in the best 90% of the time

The Jerk

Debutant
Nov 9, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Swindon Town FC
If browne is gonna b our project ruckman he better start improving next year which i cannot see happening .

Standard ignorant, impatient comment. Have a look at Trent West, six odd years on the list at Geelong before finally coming good, what is Browne sitting at, approx 3 years. Give him 2 years, then if no good cut him loose but has sooo much upside to come.

Spluff

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
He is already way ahead of schedule. He was a project pick (a rookie), who wasn't even supposed to be playing this year, but he battered the door down and demanded some games.

Jul 30, 2008
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree to an extent

All the people that wanted his head when they were doing the de-listings obviously don't know how the career of a ruckman goes. The club would not have even considered getting rid of a bloke like him with so much potential at such a young age.

Dec 18, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
There's plenty of hope for Browne. Anyone saying he can't mark should start going to our games a bit more often instead of just making crap up :cool:. He has shown a few times he can take a strong high overhead mark. If he can gain confidence in his jumping at ruck contests and time his leap well and get good height he'll have a big future. He reminds me of Jacobs about 2 or 3 years ago. Jacobs is a very good ruckman now, has a big mark and looks in control at centre bounces

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 24, 2004
Guantanomo Bay
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
There's plenty of hope for Browne. Anyone saying he can't mark should start going to our games a bit more often instead of just making crap up :cool:. He has shown a few times he can take a strong high overhead mark. If he can gain confidence in his jumping at ruck contests and time his leap well and get good height he'll have a big future. He reminds me of Jacobs about 2 or 3 years ago. Jacobs is a very good ruckman now, has a big mark and looks in control at centre bounces
LMAO ...

You've just cut and pasted one of your old Gus Graham posts in here

Kyusss

Premiership Player
May 28, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
49ers, Mavericks, Canucks,Cubs
have a look at some of the better ruckman going around at the same age

he averages more possessions than

Jolly 10.6 vs 4.7
Sandilands 10.6 vs 7.2
Jamar 10.6 vs 4.7
Cox 10.6 vs 10.2

at the same age he averages more hitouts than

Jolly 20.9 vs 5.6
Sandilands 20.9 vs 18.6
Jamar 20.9 vs 7.3
Cox 20.9 vs 16.2

Fair to say this rookie list project is ahead of schedule i think

LMAO ...

You've just cut and pasted one of your old Gus Graham posts in here
To be fair, 1-2 years ago Graham looked like he had what it took.

This year was a touch un-expected.

Glitch

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
A few pointers for Browne

• Improve tap work
• Improve marking
• Improve tackling
• Improve endurance and stamina
• Improve agility and speed

Right now all he has is work ethic, but that can only get you so far.

He has great height.
Because his levers are so much longer than most, he needs the time to add muscle to control them moreso than smaller players.

When he does that, and adds some base fitness, and is around elite training methods for another few years, don't you think he will improve his tap, marking, tackling, endurance and stamina, agility and speed?

As they say, you can't teach height!

Jun 24, 2004
Guantanomo Bay
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
have a look at some of the better ruckman going around at the same age

he averages more possessions than

Jolly 10.6 vs 4.7
Sandilands 10.6 vs 7.2
Jamar 10.6 vs 4.7
Cox 10.6 vs 10.2

at the same age he averages more hitouts than

Jolly 20.9 vs 5.6
Sandilands 20.9 vs 18.6
Jamar 20.9 vs 7.3
Cox 20.9 vs 16.2

Fair to say this rookie list project is ahead of schedule i think
Yeah .. those stats make interesting reading .

I will never get over though plough pulling him off the rookie list 2 and a half years ago for rd. 1 v blues for his one and only game for the year :rolleyes: Terry was massively clutching at straws throwing him to the wolves like that.

Wallace obviously saw something ... pity he forgot about the whole "development" part

Dec 18, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I still have a problem with what Lade is teaching our rucks. They seem to watch the other ruckman jump while standing on the ground and hoping their opponent misjudges. I want to see our rucks attack and try and out tap their opponent

Kyusss

Premiership Player
May 28, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
49ers, Mavericks, Canucks,Cubs
I still have a problem with what Lade is teaching our rucks. They seem to watch the other ruckman jump while standing on the ground and hoping their opponent misjudges. I want to see our rucks attack and try and out tap their opponent

You think lade is telling them stand flat footed wait for other ruckman to jump and hope for a mistake, wouldn't think so, lade is highly regarded as a coach

Dec 18, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
You think lade is telling them stand flat footed wait for other ruckman to jump and hope for a mistake, wouldn't think so, lade is highly regarded as a coach

well that's how it looks to me. I haven't seen Graham attack the contest for 2 seasons. I rarely recall him being flat footed in his games before that

Hipster Doofus

Bigfooty's Neighbour
Feb 14, 2011
Apartment 5B
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Big lad, I am all for keeping him on the list for at least another 2 years. That dreamtime game was awe-inspiring the way he attacked the footy and never gave up.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
well that's how it looks to me. I haven't seen Graham attack the contest for 2 seasons. I rarely recall him being flat footed in his games before that
Graham was very good until he broke his ribs against Freo. Then got smashed in the ribs again in the same game. Been a big pussy ever since.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
its a toughy, between Gus and browneyt if i was to say does either have any upside I would say big red. there are days he looks like being anything, others like a picnic meet plodder...He'd have to improve 300% to carry the ruck mantle at the elite level..Not impossible...and here;s hoping he can do it, I understand he had some lingering injuries in tail end of year that would have held him back..so good luck to him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back