News Brownlow 2020 - Congrats Lachie Neale, Brownlow Medalist 2020!

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Agree.

Unless the mask wearers thought they had Covid it was a thoroughly useless exercise in tokenism.

Just like the people in flouro vests with loud hailers urging the assembled masses on their way to the game in Stanley Street last night to "practice social distancing ....stay 1.5 meters apart guys!!!!"

What arrant nonsense......considering nearly 30,000 of us were going to be crammed shoulder to shoulder in our seats once inside the ground. And we were.

What were they trying to achieve???........delay us all getting Covid by 10 minutes??

Are you more likely to infect more people sitting stationary to the same people for 3 hours or walking in close proximity to hundreds of others walking the other direction before and after the game?

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Someone's taking the piss lol

Brownlow.jpg

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Are you more likely to infect more people sitting stationary to the same people for 3 hours or walking in close proximity to hundreds of others walking the other direction before and after the game?

I calculated that there were at least 10 others who were permanently seated within 1.5 meters of me for the entirety of the game.... for approximately 2 hours.

Everyone seated in the ground was in the same boat.

If someone had Covid , the odds of it being transmitted within that stadium would be astronomically high by virtue of the fact that you are all so close and well beyond that notional time of 15 minutes that is supposed to be the critical transmission threshold.

Apart from some randoms that might have happened to be strolling along the street and not going to the game, we were all eventually going to be seated shoulder to shoulder anyway.

Surely it's intuitive that that scenario poses a far higher risk of transmission than walking within 1.5 meters of another person in the 10 to 15 minutes it might take you to get to your entry gate. You are all pretty much heading in the same direction anyway with very little pedestrian traffic coming the other way

When you get to the gate, there is a natural bottleneck of hundreds of people well within 1.5 meters of each other anyway, especially so for those who have to have their bags examined for contraband or weapons.

And despite the further urging by the ground announcer and Auntie Jeannette on the big screen "to remain in your seats as far as possible" it just doesn't happen.

There is significant movement at all the breaks, especially at half time when the hungry, the thirsty, those who need a pee or the just plain bored flock to the food and drink outlets and toilets where I submit there is very little, if NO evidence of social distancing

It's in this context, that I don't see the point in all the pre-game urging and paranoia

Put simply, there are 30,000 souls going to a football game who are all going to be eventually confined within a finite space in close proximity to a lot of other people for 2 plus hours

If even one of these persons is infected with Covid 19, it's going to be transmitted and no amount of social distancing prior to, during or after the event is going to make an iota of difference to the result.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Congratulations Lachie, well deserved and so glad you came to the Lions and I hope we as a team and club contributed to your success.

Lachie and Jules are a lovely couple, those that say he is batting above his weight are just jealous.
The ozzie back handed compliment LOL Batting above the average :cool:

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
As usual I'm late to the party, but WELL DONE LACHIE! A bit of reward for a disappointing season end. Onwards and upwards to, hopefully, the top prize next year :) :)

Cheeky Fages

121993672_10157708234611417_5875594571151095255_o.jpg
He really is the father figure for the boys isn't he? I mean he doesn't just look like he's throwing a smile for the cameras here, he genuinely looks overjoyed.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I calculated that there were at least 10 others who were permanently seated within 1.5 meters of me for the entirety of the game.... for approximately 2 hours.

If someone had Covid , the odds of it being transmitted within that stadium would be astronomically high by virtue of the fact that you are all so close and well beyond that notional time of 15 minutes that is supposed to be the critical transmission threshold.

Apart from some randoms that might have happened to be strolling along the street and not going to the game, we were all eventually going to be seated shoulder to shoulder anyway.

Surely it's intuitive that that scenario poses a far higher risk of transmission than walking within 1.5 meters of another person in the 10 to 15 minutes it might take you to get to your entry gate. You are all pretty much heading in the same direction anyway with very little pedestrian traffic coming the other way

When you get to the gate, there is a natural bottleneck of hundreds of people well within 1.5 meters of each other anyway, especially so for those who have to have their bags examined for contraband or weapons.

And despite the further urging by the ground announcer and Auntie Jeannette on the big screen "to remain in your seats as far as possible" it just doesn't happen.

There is significant movement at all the breaks, especially at half time when the hungry, the thirsty, those who need a pee or the just plain bored flock to the food and drink outlets and toilets where I submit there is very little, if NO evidence of social distancing

It's in this context, that I don't see the point in all the pre-game urging and paranoia

Put simply, there are 30,000 souls going to a football game who are all going to be eventually confined within a finite space in close proximity to a lot of other people for 2 plus hours

If even one of these persons is infected with Covid 19, it's going to be transmitted and no amount of social distancing prior to, during or after the event is going to make an iota of difference to the result.
100% could not agree more.

I actually felt a lot more anxious at the end of the game. We waited until the boys left the ground, and by then a good chunk of our section had already left, meaning our stairs were empty. But as soon as we got down to the outside walkway, all the way out to the main stairs and down to Gate 2 we were surrounded as well as out on the street at the intersections.

I felt surprisingly more comfortable knowing that I was surrounded by the same people for the length of the game than I did during the departure. I even stayed put during the quarter breaks and only went out during the game specifically to avoid as many people as possible. Though I think what did help was that I had one of those rings of empty seats directly in front of me, so I wasn't fully surrounded.

Only 7 for me.
The row behind me was one of the empty ones.
So I will be completely fine.🤔

Back