Brownlow 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm still perplexed by how 3 blokes that can't even adjudicate on what is happening metres away actually have any idea of which 3 players would be playing well.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Got to say, thought Macrae's year was good but not "that good". Thought fourth in the B&F was pretty fair, surprised he has polled that well tonight. Probably due some votes though, he probably underpolled until last year.

Pretty incredible from Neale. Was on track for 40 if he got the full season.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Western Bulldogs - 2020 Brownlow

With 15 votes tonight Macrae has now climbed to 12th on our all time Brownlow list equal with Dougie Hawkins on 81 votes, while Bont with his 10 votes has moved into 9th position with 97 votes.

We only had one new Brownlow vote getter this year which was Bailey Smith who picked up 7 votes and finished 3rd overall for the club behind Macrae and Bont.

Last edited:

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

With 15 votes tonight Macrae has now climbed to 12th on our all time Brownlow list equal with Dougie Hawkins on 81 votes, while Bont has moved into 9th position with 97 votes.

We only had one new Brownlow vote getter this year which was Bailey Smith who picked up 7 votes and finished 3rd overall for the club this year behind Macrae and Bont.

Baz is still 19. He'll win the thing one day.

With 15 votes tonight Macrae has now climbed to 12th on our all time Brownlow list equal with Dougie Hawkins on 81 votes, while Bont with his 10 votes has moved into 9th position with 97 votes.

We only had one new Brownlow vote getter this year which was Bailey Smith who picked up 7 votes and finished 3rd overall for the club this year behind Macrae and Bont.
Impressive!

Conclusions:
1. Libba is invisible to the umps (2 Brownlow votes overall but won the Ching and came 3rd in the CSM)
2. Daniel is almost as invisible.
3. Macrae catches the umpires eye ... every year.

WB votegetters:

15 - Macrae
10 - Bont
7 - B Smith
6 - Hunter
4- English, Dunkley
3 - Daniel, Naughton, Bruce
2 - Wallis, Libba
1 - Williams, Wood

Got to say, thought Macrae's year was good but not "that good". Thought fourth in the B&F was pretty fair, surprised he has polled that well tonight. Probably due some votes though, he probably underpolled until last year.

Pretty incredible from Neale. Was on track for 40 if he got the full season.
high disposal midfielders will always stand out to the umpires who spend most of their time watching the midfield battle.
Sheer weight of disposal has seen Jack Macrae poll well the the last two seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cherrypie

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Think the umpires these days aren't really sure so just go to the standard top players when in doubt.

Macrae should not have had more than 7 times as many votes as Libba. Similarly, Neale had an excellent year and is deserving but 31 votes in a shortened season? That'd be the best season of all time and there's no chance I'd even consider it near the top.

It's probably just due to the increased media coverage on particular players.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who got the votes in that game?
3- Lachie Hunter (35 x Poss, 7 x Marks, 601 x MG, 1 x G, 3 x B)
2- Nat Fyfe (23 x Poss, 2 x G, Brownlow Aura and spiritual glow)
1- Marcus Bontempelli (20 x Poss, 1 x G, Looks like Jesus)

Actual versus Fremantle

3- Luke Ryan
2- Lachie Hunter
1- Tom Liberatore

Estimation versus Fremantle

Last edited:

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
C5345573-110F-4789-B260-10D20692053E.jpeg
These two clean up alright!

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Think the umpires these days aren't really sure so just go to the standard top players when in doubt.

Macrae should not have had more than 7 times as many votes as Libba. Similarly, Neale had an excellent year and is deserving but 31 votes in a shortened season? That'd be the best season of all time and there's no chance I'd even consider it near the top.

It's probably just due to the increased media coverage on particular players.
Agree voting is much more safe and predictable in recent times. I miss the 70s/80s when Rucks, Back Pockets, Flankers and KPPs were in the mix.

I reckon there are 2 main reasons;

- back then, votes weren't made public on specific games, so umpires votes in a particular game weren't publicly critiqued,

- one umpire voted and gave a personal opinion. These days a committee of 3 umpires give collective votes. Committees tend to make safer decisions than individuals.

I preferred it the old way.

Agree voting is much more safe and predictable in recent times. I miss the 70s/80s when Rucks, Back Pockets, Flankers and KPPs were in the mix.

I reckon there are 2 main reasons;

- back then, votes weren't made public on specific games, so umpires votes in a particular game weren't publicly critiqued,

- one umpire voted and gave a personal opinion. These days a committee of 3 umpires give collective votes. Committees tend to make safer decisions than individuals.

I preferred it the old way.
The games not the same any more.

30+ touches for a mid used to be a really good day, now you've got mids basically averaging that.

No one kicks 10 goals any more, hell, 4-5 goals is a ripping day for a forward. Equally though, a defender keeping a Dunstall, Lockett, Lloyd etc to 3-5 goals was a magnificent day too. Now keeping them to 1 or 2 is a very solid day.

These days defenders have to play their absolute backsides off to even have a look in for 3 votes against a mid who racks up 20 handballs just because he's at the bottom of the rolling maul and gets away with throwing half of them out.

The Brownlow voting perspective needs a major overhaul, no one other than a mid will ever win it again.

And as I’ve posted numerous times: in the years before the 1990s (when the commentariat started writing the AFL’s agenda) you could get still 3 votes when your team lost if you were in fact the fairest and best on the ground.
We seldom see the good players in struggling teams getting recognised like that now. A Bobby Skilton wouldn’t win 3 Brownlow Medals if he played for a bottom team in the 2020s. He did in the 60s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back