Brownlow 2021 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's as big of a concern as you're making it.

His issues are physical related, he's had some injuries, some strange ones too. Had some good games this year, I wouldn't be looking toward the Brownlow for validation

It is a midfielder's medal. What worried me with Sloane the player is that unlike Tex, he didn't hit 2021 like his body had been rejuvenated over the offseason. 2-3 down then 1 even/up was his season until the last couple of rounds. He just seems busted and can only get up for a full 4 quarters off and on. Cant do that when you're taking over a quarter of available midfield minutes. It's a week in, week out job.

I really do think he'd make a very good fist of a high half forward role. But it's his ability to run the clicks that concerns me. He'd be a bit different to Lynch, but ultimately better as he can impact contests or go into the stoppage rotation when it's required. My greatest fear is that his future mirrors how Thommo finished. A broken body that only had enough in the legs to get from stoppage to stoppage and do next to nothing else.

Meh. Roo won it jointly with Goodes and Buckley. No one playing the game right now can hold a candle to those two except Martin who played on one leg all year.
Roo had most best ons that year out of that trio, coincidently he polled more votes the following year to finish 2nd behind Judd

Woewodin and Priddis stand out because they won the Brownlow but didn't make All Australian in that year. Obvious blunders.

At least Wines made the AA team and had a pretty good year. I personally don't think he's the best player or had the best year or the equal best season ever, but he was a fair winner

On cue, Port fans already crapping on about how Wines' Brownlow over Roo's in 2003 because he only won a third of a Brownlow and not outright. I don't mind Ollie, he seems like a good lad, but this is precisely why I didn't want him to win it.

Counter it with comparing Wines win to Woewodin, Priddis.

These awards reward consistency and he was certainly that. Very worthy winner and a wonderful achievement so congratulations to him.
Do they though?
You can be the best player in 10 games and not play another game and win.
Or you can be 4th best on ground every week and not poll a vote.

Do they though?
You can be the best player in 10 games and not play another game and win.
Or you can be 4th best on ground every week and not poll a vote.
I guess it depends on what your definition of consistency is. If I were to see a player have 10 x 3 vote games Id think that’s a very consistent run at a very difficult level to achieve. Best player pretty much every 2nd game - wow.

But then I barrack for the players ha ha

Wines win feels alot like woewodins. Good player, but Boak carried the team. So many better players in the league than wines. Can't say the same about Roo who was regarded as one of the best.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Exactly Roo was all class and really could have won another bronwlow tbh. Also was able to hit the scoreboard something wines rarely does.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I guess it depends on what your definition of consistency is. If I were to see a player have 10 x 3 vote games Id think that’s a very consistent run at a very difficult level to achieve. Best player pretty much every 2nd game - wow.

But then I barrack for the players ha ha
I probably should have said you can have a player get 1 best on ground vs someone that is 4th best on ground every week and they’ll finish higher in the brownlow.
VS what that looks like in the coaches votes.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly Roo was all class and really could have won another bronwlow tbh. Also was able to hit the scoreboard something wines rarely does.

Roo also quite often rested forward and often played there for decent stretches of games, Wines rarely does might have something to do with that.

Roo also quite often rested forward and often played there for decent stretches of games, Wines rarely does might have something to do with that.

It's all relative isn't it.

If you ignore Roo's last two seasons (where his disposal average dropped from > 20 to < 15), he averaged 0.825 goals per game, or about 18 goals per season.
Wines averages 0.445 goals per game, or about 10 goals per season.

10 vs 18 is hardly enough to say "Roo was able to hit the scoreboard but Wines rarely does".

If you ignore Roo's last two seasons (where his disposal average dropped from > 20 to < 15), he averaged 0.825 goals per game, or about 18 goals per season.

10 vs 18 is hardly enough to say "Roo was able to hit the scoreboard but Wines rarely does".
I disagree I mean look at his stats between 2000-03. He kicked 20, 27, 35, 24 as a midfielder. They are impressive numbers considering he would have been high in score involvements in those years and could've kicked more.

It's almost 80% more, that's statistically significant.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Everything I see an Ollie Wines pic today I can't get past his odd shape head

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
If that’s the best you can contribute for a fine young man who’s worked his butt off all his life to 1. Make a career and 2 achieve something great - then suggest you give it away.

I do wonder if some here understand anything about football at All

A few random thoughts and observations.

Did I hear that Oliver Wines partner is named Olivia?

I thought Mackay might have picked up a vote in the StK game for his momentum swinging bump. That would have doubled his career votes.
Still a bit disappointed we let Lyons go. Never got a vote playing for Adelaide, then gets 30 over his next 4 seasons, and 23 last night.

Brownlow voting was never an objective measure of the best player. IMO Dangerfield was the best player in the league in his latter years at the Crows, but was never going to win a Brownlow with Sloane and Thommo taking votes off of him. Moves to Geelong, and boom, wins it in a landslide.

Standout players in ordinary teams tend to poll well, e.g. Sam Walsh. Walsh gets 30 votes, McKay next best on 8.
Similarly, Wines and Boak poll 61 out of Port's 91 votes, suggesting that they are carrying the team somewhat.
Compare that to Mills and Parker of Sydney, combining for just 35 votes out of the club's 84 votes. Shows a much more even team contribution.

To be fair, Woewodin had an amazing 2000 season when he won the medal.

The issue with him was that the Brownlow bumped up his value and he never recaptured the same form.
Which is my point entirely. It's B&F for the year, not a who's who of notable players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back