Brownlow 2021 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Geezus there's some salty campaigners in here, Wines seems like a decent lad and had a very consistent high level season.....A very worthy and deserving winner.
Agreed the only reason I didn't want Ollie to win as it would of been hilarious for Port fans to be dirty because he lost and Kane Cornes to be pissed off.
Otherwise I don't dislike Wines too much and he had a good season from start to end. He's also a better player than he used to be.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Wines win feels alot like woewodins. Good player, but Boak carried the team. So many better players in the league than wines. Can't say the same about Roo who was regarded as one of the best.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd say it's more like Cooney's. Woewodin didn't even make the AA team and wasn't in Brownlow contention at all. Like Cooney, Wines may not have been the best player, but he rarely played a poor game. So many people forget how good Cooney was in '08 until groin injuries hampered him.

Did much better off in these stakes this year than last year

Adelaide Crows
Rory Laird — 16
Ben Keays — 11
Taylor Walker — 9
Reilly O‘Brien — 5
Paul Seedsman — 4
Lachlan Sholl — 2
Rory Sloane — 2
Brodie Smith — 2

Total — 51

Ex-Adelaide Crows Players
Jarryd Lyons — 23
Patrick Dangerfield — 6
Jake Lever — 5
Brad Crouch — 5
Ed Curnow — 4
Charlie Cameron — 1

Total — 44

Good to see Lachie Sholl already surpass David Mackay's career Brownlow tally and extend the lead further
Surely silences those who still don't think Keays is a best 22 player going forward.

Surely silences those who still don't think Keays is a best 22 player going forward.

I don't think many say that. Him, Laird, Crouch and Sloane are all clearly best 22 players going forward and individually very capable midfielders. The issue is that as we'be run a 4 man rotation for many years, the combination of the 4 is extremely limiting offensively and defensively. If the midfield quartet was solely about winning your share of stoppages, then they're perfectly fine as a group. But there's a lot more to a midfield than who wins first possession from a stoppage.

Until we deepen the midfield, whilst individually they're not a problem, as a group they are all part of a massive problem. And don't start up with the bullshit that Schoey got more midfield time at the end of the year as Sloane rotated through elsewhere. That's pure imagination and didn't happen. Let's hope we see it in 2022.

I don't think many say that. Him, Laird, Crouch and Sloane are all clearly best 22 players going forward and individually very capable midfielders. The issue is that as we'be run a 4 man rotation for many years, the combination of the 4 is extremely limiting offensively and defensively. If the midfield quartet was solely about winning your share of stoppages, then they're perfectly fine as a group. But there's a lot more to a midfield than who wins first possession from a stoppage.

Until we deepen the midfield, whilst individually they're not a problem, as a group they are all part of a massive problem. And don't start up with the bullshit that Schoey got more midfield time at the end of the year as Sloane rotated through elsewhere. That's pure imagination and didn't happen. Let's hope we see it in 2022.

An interesting tidbit was Wines saying things started to click for him when he embraced who he was and played to his strengths, being that he's a bullish inside mid that gives it to someone else to use and is never going to be a silky or classy one. Think you'll find the more Jordan Dawsons and Schoenbergs you put in this midfield, Ben can do what he does best and find the footy and give it to someone else to deliver. He's clearly an umpires favourite (think that 1 vote he got for a tagging job last year), wouldnt surprise me if he's a consistent 15-20 voter for years to come.

Brownlow isn't everything though, look at Dunstan...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back