Brownlow 2023 - CONGRATS TWO TIME WINNER LACHIE NEALE

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 was without a doubt Lachie's best season, to lose that by a vote was disappointing. Glad he was able to win one, but people need to stop saying Gulden robbed, yeah he got 1 vote, but it wasn't change the result.

Shame for Daicos missing out, no doubt he'll be pushing for it again in the future

i think people are in a bit of a tizz because bontempelli didnt win

imo bontempelli gets far more appreciation from pedestrian afl supporters than neale does. bontempelli does a lot of flashy stuff like kicking big goals whereas neale is more understated in how good his in and under work is around clearances. i think he is still the best clearance player in the competition. for the casual afl fan, it is much easier to notice what bontempelli does than what neale does.

bontempelli probably had a better season overall, but i think neale had a tremendous season even if he had a down patch for 3-4 weeks.

it is rather funny that bulldogs supporters in particular think bontempelli and neale are galaxies apart in terms of quality of player when they would be the first to tell you how underrated liberatore is.

Bont’s team missed the 8. Makes it hard to win, he did very very well to get that close.

What a win for Lachie, made sweeter by all the salty Vic fans saying Daicos, Trac or Bont was robbed. Somehow Lachie's votes weren't legit, but Bont and Daicos were 100% correct.

Imagine losing to this year's Eagles side when your season is on the line, and thinking your guy deserves the Brownlow...

How so Lachie congrats on winning the Brownlow mate but obviously you’d think Bont was robbed and you really didn’t deserve it as Daicos only lost it because he didn’t play the last round. Oh and you didn’t make the AA team either but congrats and feel free to hand the medal back when you feel like it.

But also, let’s go back to you wanting to go to Freo, surely you’d be happier there not winning undeserved Brownlows or making finals. And commiserations on losing to Carlton, but the GF is better for it.

Anyway, we’ve got 25 mins so tell us about your dog or something.

Hamish McLachlan must be upset because he’s not getting a Pies vs Blues GF.A lot of the AFL media were hoping for this.

i think people are in a bit of a tizz because bontempelli didnt win

imo bontempelli gets far more appreciation from pedestrian afl supporters than neale does. bontempelli does a lot of flashy stuff like kicking big goals whereas neale is more understated in how good his in and under work is around clearances. i think he is still the best clearance player in the competition. for the casual afl fan, it is much easier to notice what bontempelli does than what neale does.

bontempelli probably had a better season overall, but i think neale had a tremendous season even if he had a down patch for 3-4 weeks.

it is rather funny that bulldogs supporters in particular think bontempelli and neale are galaxies apart in terms of quality of player when they would be the first to tell you how underrated liberatore is.
They have probably exhausted all of their material on complaining about Bevo for the past 8 weeks, so got to find something new to whinge about.

How about try winning a few more games so Bont had a better shot at getting the 3 votes?

I dislike it when people come in here and boast about there gambling wins and hate the adds all over every AFL add, yet here I am. I never gamble but the other day I had a look at the AFL Brownlow predictor and it had Lachie winning on 32 votes. It showed the odds of 13-1 and I thought to myself that seems like money for jam... so I signed up to Ladbrokes and put $100 on him to win. Lol. Cashed out straight away and won't gamble again for another 10 years. This week is going to plan. Seems like an omen. Now bring on the flag on a hot sunny day!

Well done Neale on a great season. Was well deserved.
I feel embarrassed for the All Australian selectors. Buckley, Betts, Cornes, Gill, Pav, Bartlet, Kane(Laura), Bolton, Johbson, Jacko, Ling and Dillion......they didn't pick the best player in the comp (officially voted as). star-wars-yoda.gif

Reminiscent of AFLW B&F 2022 winner Ally Anderson no All Australian selection either.
May need new selectors perhaps?

Last edited:
Geez bulldogs supporters having a fair crack at Lachie. Geez get some better players around your club to help the Bont and he may win one. People always get votes you unexpect and you dont get votes when you think you will get them. I reckon the pearler of the night was when Horne Francis got 3 votes for 13 disposals in round 14. Just shows anything can happen with the voting.

I call it redemption! Lachie was robbed last year! It reminds me of 2010-11, where Swan was the favorite in 2010, but was pipped by Judd, and the following year Swan won it when Judd was the favorite.

And has anyone even bothered to ask how the umpire vote. They have about 5 mins after the game to make a decision, without the benefit of any replays or stats, just their recollection of the game, how they saw it from their positions on the field. They can't see all the positioning and manning-up, they see the players with the ball and how they dispose of it. Yes its a midfielders medal, and when you see No 9 getting the ball out of the ruck and surging forward and passing to his teammates in the forward 50, time after time, that is what you remember.

Congrats to Lachie

Congrats to our Lachie, what a legend! He really put in a team first performance and I genuinely expected him to miss the Brownlow because of it. So happy for him, but I know he'd trade it in an instant for a win on Saturday. Let's make the final dream come true for him. 🦁🦁🦁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given that most umpires seem to know 4 or 5 Lions players at best, it must annoy them that we win some 15 plus times a season and they are essentially forced to grant votes to our players instead of their Victorian faves.

Lachie is usually at the bottom of most packs handing the ball up to the umps for ball ups, and he is a polite young lad. He also stands out despite being 4 foot 8. He can play a bit too which is a bonus.

This might be the one he 'shouldna' for the one he 'didna'. I daresay though that if he won last year he wouldn't have saluted this year.

Now he is a two time winner though, it might be time to consider whether he is in the Top 5 All Time post merger Lions. I only have Voss, Black, Aka and Brown ahead (in that order).

What was evident to me is that young Will Ashcroft is not going to find it difficult attracting votes from the ump. Even better he gets to learn from Lachie.

Still haven’t quite got over Will not being available for and missing out this weekend.
Its the hair. Long flowing blonde locks on a midfielder is eye candy to an umpire. Never cut it Will

Congrats to Lachie but gee, three votes against GWS for 20 possessions, of which only seven were kicks and five were turnovers? In the same game Charlie Cameron kicked 7.2, Josh Kelly got 41 touches and Coniglio had 38. Lachy's 13 handballs must have been amazing! I note too that Lachie received zero coaches votes for his performance in that game, so the awarding of three Brownlow votes really does seem a nonsense.

Of course, its not Lachie's fault that he was awarded votes that he didn't deserve but he did seem quite stunned and awkward about his victory. The Midfielders' Medal strikes again!

Last edited:
Congrats to Lachie but gee, three votes against GWS for 20 possessions, of which only seven were kicks and five were turnovers? In the same game Charlie Cameron kicked 7.2, Josh Kelly got 41 touches and Coniglio had 38. Lachy's 13 handballs must have been amazing! I note too that Lachy received zero coaches votes for his performance in that game, so the awarding of three Brownlow votes really does seem a nonsense.

Of course, its not Lachy's fault that he was awarded votes that he didn't deserve but he did seem quite stunned and awkward about his victory. The Midfielders' Medal strikes again!
It could be argued he was robbed of votes when we pumped the Pies in Round 4, was only given the 1 vote when the match report has him as our best just behind Rayner. You could go though 100's of games this year & reach all sorts of conclusions, but point is he won & we'll win again come Saturday!!

Congrats to Lachie but gee, three votes against GWS for 20 possessions, of which only seven were kicks and five were turnovers? In the same game Charlie Cameron kicked 7.2, Josh Kelly got 41 touches and Coniglio had 38. Lachy's 13 handballs must have been amazing! I note too that Lachy received zero coaches votes for his performance in that game, so the awarding of three Brownlow votes really does seem a nonsense.

Of course, its not Lachy's fault that he was awarded votes that he didn't deserve but he did seem quite stunned and awkward about his victory. The Midfielders' Medal strikes again!
He had a game where he got 29 touches & 9 clearances for 0 votes in a win. These things are all swings & roundabouts but the media will beat up on the 1 game he shouldn't have polled, not the other 2 games he should have but didn't.

It could be argued he was robbed of votes when we pumped the Pies in Round 4, was only given the 1 vote when the match report has him as our best just behind Rayner. You could go though 100's of games this year & reach all sorts of conclusions, but point is he won & we'll win again come Saturday!!
Oh, you mean the game where Nick Daicos had 38 touches plus two goals, yet received zero votes? Yes, Lachie was hard done by.

Oh, you mean the game where Nick Daicos had 38 touches plus two goals, yet received zero votes? Yes, Lachie was hard done by.
Neale was our best player according to match reports in Round 17 when we beat Freo, yet he only received the 1 vote there as well. We could play this game all week but it's a zero sum exercise really.

Congrats Lachie!!! What a superstar, just shows how much the lions aren't spoken about and go under the radar, we all knew how good he was this year and he definitely deserves it. Hopefully more medals to come this week

For anyone salty about Lachie Neale winning his 2nd Brownlow, here you go:

Attachments

• image0.gif
    image0.gif
    719.7 KB · Views: 29

Watch that game again. Daicos’s impact all came when the game was all but over. He’s probably the only reason you lot didn’t lose by 10+ goals, but I don’t know if that’s enough to get you votes

Daicos had an amazing season and likely would have romped it in if not for the injury. You'd think he'll win one or two before he hangs up the boots, but thems the breaks .
But lets be honest neither side cares about the individual awards, it's all about the big dance. See you on Saturday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back