News Brownlow Betting Scandal allegations - 6th Dec Police Widen Investigations

Ginnieboy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, bookies are more than happy to do anything they can to rip as much money as they can from punters regardless of the impact on their families and society as a whole. But the moment someone gets an advantage on them, its 'boo hoo, can the police please save us'.

The polies are gutless for letting them do that and the police involved are more than happy to be the storm troopers. - Not a skerrick of decency between the lot of them.
As far as I’m concerned the police should have no power in this, it’s a civil complaint made by a company against citizens, it’s not theft IMO, I mean, would the police get involved if someone had evidence the local pubs meat raffle was rigged? Would they go and arrest those involved? I’m thinking not.

Police have no power to arrest people who refuse to pay their taxi bill because it’s civil, same as if you get renovations done on your house and refuse to pay, the police can’t do a single thing about it.

Imagine what it take to get a bookie in handcuffs, punter gets ripped off in some way, are the police going to go and arrest the bookie for you? Lol.

So why are they involved here?

Last edited:

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
As far as I’m concerned the police should have no power in this, it’s a civil complaint made by a company against citizens, it’s not theft IMO, I mean, would the police get involved if someone had evidence the local pubs meat raffle was rigged? Would they go and arrest those involved? I’m thinking not.

Police have no power to arrest people who refuse to pay their taxi bill because it’s civil, same as if you get renovations done on your house and refuse to pay, the police can’t do a single thing about it.

Imagine what it take to get a bookie in handcuffs, punter gets ripped off in some way, are the police going to go and arrest the bookie for you? Lol.

So why are they involved here?

Total guesswork here but I reckon the law looks pretty dimly on rigging gambling outcomes because it's an easy way to launder money.

Ginnieboy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Total guesswork here but I reckon the law looks pretty dimly on rigging gambling outcomes because it's an easy way to launder money.
Say club official knows Selwood/Danger/Hawkins/Cameron/ etc have just tested positive to Covid 3 days before their game against North, rings a few mates to let them know, would that be considered match fixing? Or simply breaking an AFL/club policy?

IMO all the umpire did was break an AFL policy which as far as I know is not punishable by law, there is an easy fix to this.

Again what do we call bookies banning winning punters? This also influences gambling outcomes.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Say club official knows Selwood/Danger/Hawkins/Cameron/ etc have just tested positive to Covid 3 days before their game against North, rings a few mates to let them know, would that be considered match fixing? Or simply breaking an AFL/club policy?

IMO all the umpire did was break an AFL policy which as far as I know is not punishable by law, there is an easy fix to this.

That's not rigging the outcome, that's insider knowledge knowing that the odds you'd get on North would be worth a punt. In this case, the outcome was already known. It was a 100% probability of winning. If I was criminal wanting to legitimise my cash, it would be perfect.

Don't get me wrong - I have no sympathy for the bookies. But I do see why this is so serious.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Again what do we call bookies banning winning punters? This also influences gambling outcomes.

It affects the payout and odds but doesn't affect the probability of winning. Again, in this case the outcome (who was getting the three votes) was already known.

It affects the payout and odds but doesn't affect the probability of winning. Again, in this case the outcome (who was getting the three votes) was already known.
sorry, was more meaning why is this conduct (leaking of the votes) seen to be some crime that is "affecting the integrity of sports betting" (yes, hard to type that with a straight face) when the online bookies are all banning anyone who has a record of winning

Ginnieboy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is what I find interesting.

The AFL was made aware of the potential issue a few days before the Brownlow Medal count.

“One source familiar with the situation estimated that the betting companies would be alerted by betting on a particular umpire’s games if it was done just two or three times, let alone more than 10 times, as Pell’s associates allegedly have done,” the report stated.

So the betting partners told the AFL “a few days prior to the Brownlow’, if so, why wasn’t the betting suspended immediately? Are those who placed losing bets on this umpires games getting a refund?

Area51

All Australian
Jun 6, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
The illusion of an incorruptible umpiring fraternity has been smashed. And it can never be fixed. One of the outcomes is that the Brownlow has been diminished its standing as the most prestigious individual award. Query now whether the player voted MVP will take over that standing.

How many days of silence from the CEO now on this?

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The illusion of an incorruptible umpiring fraternity has been smashed. And it can never be fixed. One of the outcomes is that the Brownlow has been diminished its standing as the most prestigious individual award. Query now whether the player voted MVP will take over that standing.

Who is saying they were corrupted? As far as I can tell it's just a case of one umpire not keeping his mouth shut.

Police are widening their investigations

Victoria Police are now looking into all Brownlow betting activity in relation to games Michael Pell was named emergency umpire for in 2021.
Pell was one of four men arrested in November in relation to suspicious betting activity on the 2022 Brownlow Medal.
It has been alleged that bets were laid on more than 10 matches the young umpire helmed.
Pell entered the AFL umpiring ranks in 2021 and served as an emergency, with Channel Nine’s Paddy Sweeney reporting that Victoria Police are now investigating games he was a part of.

5F86EE34-ED14-4320-9760-C64F6656D05F.jpeg

FreddyTwoShoes

All Australian
May 1, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Police are widening their investigations

Victoria Police are now looking into all Brownlow betting activity in relation to games Michael Pell was named emergency umpire for in 2021.
Pell was one of four men arrested in November in relation to suspicious betting activity on the 2022 Brownlow Medal.
It has been alleged that bets were laid on more than 10 matches the young umpire helmed.
Pell entered the AFL umpiring ranks in 2021 and served as an emergency, with Channel Nine’s Paddy Sweeney reporting that Victoria Police are now investigating games he was a part of.

View attachment 1568141

"helmed"? What a strange way to describe his role.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Yep, this could be the beginning of the end for sport as we know it.

May 11, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Coaches = acutely aware of it as part of their job without giving it a second thought
Players = don't think about it when competing, don't have to give votes right after the game

Umpires = have to think about it during the game

When you start comparing apples and oranges you're just about all out of steam.
It's true, umpires don't stop running, all three are always in constant motion at all times, and even during the breaks, they keep running even when the players have stopped.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't think the cops will widen the investigation too far as that will mean lots and lots of paper work and people hours, and in my experience cops don't like doing pages and pages of paperwork.
They will release a report at the end of their investigation, and a couple of people might get hit with a wet lettuce, and that will be the end of it

I don't see that leaking the result is any biggy to be honest?
It's not like it affected the result.
Th only people who could be effected would be betting agencies.
No better than drug dealers.

Back