• top 3

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • top 5

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • not top 5

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We have no elite players. They poll 3rd in the Brownlow , so that's pretty good for average hacks.

To me we now have 2 "elite" players in Butler who was one of the best few small forwards in 2020 and Steele who was a top 10 mid. Marshall and Paddy were above average by position. The other player I would have in that very top bracket of players in 2020 is Coffield, he's somewhere between elite and above average. He was in the top couple of mark takers and intercept marks in the whole comp. Next down from them is probably players like Howard and Jones.

PostmanBish

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
To me we now have 2 "elite" players in Butler who was one of the best few small forwards in 2020 and Steele who was a top 10 mid. Marshall and Paddy were above average by position. The other player I would have in that very top bracket of players in 2020 is Coffield, he's somewhere between elite and above average. He was in the top couple of mark takers and intercept marks in the whole comp. Next down from them is probably players like Howard and Jones.

I'd call that a fair assessment ... a tonne of players with room to emerge, too ... imagine what Coffield/Howard/Paton/Long/Wilkie could be like in a couple of years - it's going to be a smothering defence, I'll wager.

Build around that - we obviously need another tall KPD for when Carlisle declines, but bulk up the midfield with a little class, look for growth in the forward line (gotta be thinking Battle and King are going to get better), and we're going to have a very nice best-22

Its always fun to look at the AFL player ratings for a laugh. Supposedly this seasons ratings.

Our best , Marshall and Ryder 34th and 36th, either side of Brownlow runner up Boak.
Jack Steele 44th , between Swan's Kennedy and Sidebottom.
Gresham 63rd between Papley and Hunter.
Sinclair 95th, between Burgoyne and Saad. ( We'll trade him to you for 2 first rounders Dodo ).
Jones 125th, between Dan Houston and Eddie Betts.
Jack Billings 141st , around the same as Florent.
Savage 149th, just ahead of Issac Smith.
Dunstan and Howard. 160th 161st . Just ahead of Ben Brown.
Membrey 171st , somewhere around the same as Nicnat and Cale Hooker.
Hill 211th, between Darcy Moore and Gary Rohan.
McKenzie 304th. Ahead of Fiorini, Harry McKay, and Hurley.
Clark 328th. and Wilkie 330th. Just ahead of Brad Shepherd , Scully, and Raynor.
Butler 343rd, near Jack Silvagni
Jake 366th, just after Mitch McGovern.
Battle 371st Lonie 375th. Like Brayden Sier, and Jordon Murdoch.
Geary 395th, like Anthony Miles or Sam Day.
Long 401st , Like Vardy
Paton 409th, after Jack Steven and Aaron Hall.
Kent 420 and Hind 423rd either side of Duryea and Taberner.
Brown and Webster , 426 and 428 ahead of Marlion Pickett
Hannebery 429th near Weidermann
Coffield 469th , but right next to Ben King, Stephen Hill thereabouts too. Barely ahead of Matthew Parker.
Max King 503rd.
Marsh our worst rated player. 542nd. Below Jack Watts.

borderbarry

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just sorting through all of my multi's now. That system got:
  • 4 of the top 5
  • 7 of the top 8 (most of those within a vote or 2)
  • 16 of the top 20
Better then throwing darts

Made a small profit. Guthrie overpolling and Menegola & Bont underpolling cost me the really really really really big payouts. Been swearing at Menegola all night (the overrated hack)

For anyone interested (which is probably noone) but:
Merrett, Guthrie, Parker, Gawn and Oliver went much better then expected
Bont, Fyfe, Menegola, McGrath and NicNat much worse

Petracca is also still a w***er. Wont be able to fit his head in a room after tonight

For us: got Steele, Marshall, Z.Jones and Gresh within a vote
Underpolled Butler and overpolled Billings (basically just allocated those games to the wrong player)
Otherwise our leaderboard looks about bang on for me

Will happily use that system to back top 5 / 10 / 20 finishes for players again next year. In a closer count it should turn a really decent profit
What about giving a bit of credit where it is due.
Overpolled Billings my foot. He was our second highest vote getter the previous year, one vote less than Ross. He has gained Brownlow votes just about every season that he has played. One of our classiest players.

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Overpolled Billings my foot. He was our second highest vote getter the previous year, one vote less than Ross. He has gained Brownlow votes just about every season that he has played. One of our classiest players.
Ummmm not sure you are understanding what I am saying mate.

Go back to the first page. Pre Brownlow, the system I was using (which is not my original idea but I think is a damn good one) had Billings landing 8-10 votes. Also had him a chance to be running in the leaderboard at the halfway stage. That system got a lot of things right last night (and made a few people I know a very very large amount of money. Not me sadly, but look back at page 1. It stacked up bloody well).

End of the day Billings polled two votes for the season. I thought he would poll better. Sportsbet and Points bet thought he would poll better. Even you clearly thought he would poll better. The point I was making is that pretty much every vote I had going to Billings went to Butler. Hence I overpolled Billings.

So not sure what part of that upsets you. If you have an issue with his low vote count, take it up with the umpires.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda

I tend to agree Baz, but the last part of his season was very unimpressive. He averaged 15 touches a game over the last 7, and only kicked 3 goals. In the two finals he didn't even have 1 inside 50.

Last year he averaged almost 26 touches, this year 18.5.

He's 25 years old now, time for him to become Robbie Gray please. (Gray's first dominant season was at 26 years old.)

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Best result since Nicky Dal. Runner up, finished between Cousin and Kerr. He was third another year too. Classy player was Nicky Dal.

Dal actually came 3rd, Kerr outpolled him by a vote.

Since Harves’ back to back brownlows, these are the Saints to finish top 10.

x3 Dal Santo (3rd - 2005) (6th - 2009) (3rd - 2011)
x3 Hayes (3rd - 2009) (8th - 2010) (10th - 2012)
x3 Riewoldt (7th - 2004) (9th - 2009) (10th - 2016)
x1 Steele (3rd - 2020)
x1 Steven (8th - 2018)
x1 Montagna (9th - 2010)
x1 Goddard (9th - 2009)
x1 Harvey (10th - 2003)

Equals Dal and Hayes for highest placing Saints (although think they were outright 3rd) since Harves’ went back to back. Fair to say he’s in elite company.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Dal actually came 3rd, Kerr outpolled him by a vote.

Since Harves’ back to back brownlows, these are the Saints to finish top 10.

x3 Dal Santo (3rd - 2005) (6th - 2009) (3rd - 2011)
x3 Hayes (3rd - 2009) (8th - 2010) (10th - 2012)
x3 Riewoldt (7th - 2004) (9th - 2009) (10th - 2016)
x1 Steele (3rd - 2020)
x1 Steven (8th - 2018)
x1 Montagna (9th - 2010)
x1 Goddard (9th - 2009)
x1 Harvey (10th - 2003)

Equals Dal and Hayes for highest placing Saints (although think they were outright 3rd) since Harves’ went back to back. Fair to say he’s in elite company.
Did Dal come 2nd the year Dane Swan won it?

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Did Dal come 2nd the year Dane Swan won it?

2011? Nope.

Swan - 34
S. Mitchell - 30
Dal - 28

According to afltables.

Ah, yep you’re right. I didn’t factor in the eligibility for any of those figures just went down the list.

We probably should considering Harveys 1997 was due to Grant being suspended and all, Nick Hollands brownlow and forever enshrined in folklore for having a punchable face.

Back