BROWNLOW MEDAL Count - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

So glad O Wines won and not "the Bont" (sick of him)

I had Wines odds on after Round 17.

The "Bont" went all quiet in the last 4 or 5 games, the Dogs lost their last 3 games and Port won their last 7.

Umpires give votes to winning teams and Wines was outstanding in those Port wins.

TBH , I thought that Wines should have won by more.

One of "The Bont's" three voters in a late round was bullshit

Not saying I want him but Luke Dunstan polled in at least 4 games think he ended up with nine, and doesn't get offered a contract next year. You don't see that too often! Good to see Benny Keays enjoying the night with our boys, and they seemed to be enjoying watching JL rack up the votes.

Well done Ollie a worthy winner..

Umpires get carried away. No way was that a 36 vote year
Seems big names automatically get the 3 when it could rightly be 2 or 1 or even miss narrowly on getting anything

Seems big names automatically get the 3 when it could rightly be 2 or 1 or even miss narrowly on getting anything

Can someone tell me what the voting was in our Round 11 game against GWS at the Gabba?

That's where Robbo had 30 disposals, 12 marks and kicked 4 goals and was BOG by several light years

If he didn't get the 3 votes, the system is utterly corrupt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Keays did very well for the Crows.

Good on him

Silly how it's still the most prestigious award. It shouldn't be, not anymore.

Umpires are the worst people to vote on who was best on ground.
Who should vote for the Fairest and Best player medal ?
Coaches have one, Players have theirs too, the Media outlets have their own, There’s even one for player of the Finals series….Heck even the peeps voting for the Norm Smith on Grand Final day sometimes get it wrong

I wonder how much time it takes for the three field umpires to discuss who is 3,2,1 after each game

Voting procedure[edit]
The three field umpires (those umpires who control the flow of the game, as opposed to goal or boundary umpires) confer after each match and award three votes, two votes, and one vote to the players they regard as the best, second-best and third-best in the match, respectively. The votes are kept secret until the awards night, and they are read and tallied on the evening.[3]

Who should vote for the Fairest and Best player medal ?
Coaches have one, Players have theirs too, the Media outlets have their own, There’s even one for player of the Finals series….Heck even the peeps voting for the Norm Smith on Grand Final day sometimes get it wrong

Perhaps a combination of umpire, media & coaches for the Brownlow.

Just think the umpires are too tunnel visioned to what is immediately around them.

I do understand the game has changed since the 70's & 80's, but this has pretty much changed to the best midfielder award, which is a shame.

Edit: Maybe it would work better if the umpires watched a replay of the game & then cast their votes.

Last edited:
There was a game, North v Melbourne Round 9, Tarryn Thomas got 3 votes but only got 18 touches and a goal. Simpkin and Cunnington got 38 and 37 touches each and Thomas wasnt even on the screen for the betting for that individual game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back