Brownlow Medal favourite discount strikes again!

Remove this Banner Ad

CrowFan77

Senior List
Jun 27, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Let me preface this post by saying that I don't think Patrick Cripps tackle on Lachlan Murphy should be worthy of a suspension - IMHO it was a reasonable tackle and the injury to Murphy was just unlucky.

That said, the AFL has made it quite clear that, if you elect to tackle or bump, you are responsible for the safety of the other player.

Under the 2022 tribunal guidelines, the incident should be assessed as:

Rough Conduct (Careless, High, High Impact)

which equates to a 2 week suspension (maybe reduced to 1 week for previous record?).

Either way, the Brownlow Medal favourite would be ineligible - but the AFL PR machine couldn't have that!

I like that it took them 24 hours to come up with the old classic "doesn't constitute a reportable offense" without any further explanation - they might as well just come out and say that Cripps got the Brownlow Medal favourite discount.

Let me preface this post by saying that I don't think Patrick Cripps tackle on Lachlan Murphy should be worthy of a suspension - IMHO it was a reasonable tackle and the injury to Murphy was just unlucky.

That said, the AFL has made it quite clear that, if you elect to tackle or bump, you are responsible for the safety of the other player.

which equates to a 2 week suspension (maybe reduced to 1 week for previous record?).

Either way, the Brownlow Medal favourite would be ineligible - but the AFL PR machine couldn't have that!

I like that it took them 24 hours to come up with the old classic "doesn't constitute a reportable offense" without any further explanation - they might as well just come out and say that Cripps got the Brownlow Medal favourite discount.
You cant put a player out on the park who clearly has chronic neck issues after his post season neck surgery and then suspend players for regular football acts because his neck issues flare up after minimal contact. If that was the case we could be looking at 10 suspensions for players who are matched up on him this year.

Bobs Burgers Straws GIF

Can you explain to me which bit of the incident was careless and high?

The fact that you've had to start by calling it rough conduct to even try and get it to register under the guidelines should tell you all you need to know.
It was just a tackle. End of story.

This is all simply because Cleary had a brain fart that he wanted to share with Twitter. No other reasonable person would've mentioned it and it would have got zero attention.

You cant put a player out on the park who clearly has chronic neck issues after his post season neck surgery and then suspend players for regular football acts because his neck issues flare up after minimal contact. If that was the case we could be looking at 10 suspensions for players who are matched up on him this year.
I agree with this and I don’t think cripps should be suspended. Having said that, Rory sloane got rubbed out because he tried to make a genuine spoiling attempt which caused brad ebert to leave the ground with the blood rule. Brad ebert was a serial bleeder and that did not come into the equation at all. Existing circumstances don’t seem to matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back