Analysis Brownlow Night

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't bother watching the Brownlow, because if you play back, ruck, or forward you have no chance of winning the award, so it's a BS award. The top 5 spots all taken by mids, so why bother. The award that should get all the spotlight is the MVP award. I enjoyed the night watching Carl Barron standup.

I don't bother watching the Brownlow, because if you play back, ruck, or forward you have no chance of winning the award, so it's a BS award. The top 5 spots all taken by mids, so why bother. The award that should get all the spotlight is the MVP award. I enjoyed the night watching Carl Barron standup.

He is on channel ten atm. Hilarious.

Only Collingwood players to poll more votes in a season than Grundy:

Swan (x4) - 34*, 26, 25, 24
Fothergill - 32*
Thompson - 25*
Pendlebury - 24
Buckley - 24
Sidebottom - 24

*Medal win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't be arsed going through the rest of thread, so apologies if I'm Sandra Sully here:

With a 12-vote performance in 2019, Pendlebury now leads the all-time Collingwood Brownlow vote with 194 career votes. The second is Dane Swan with 186.

He also has ninth most in history, overtaking Simon Black, Swan and Robert Harvey tonight. He is four behind 8th, with Joel Selwood moving there tonight.

Pendles is an excellent player but they don't miss any of his votes. A key forward would have to play three times as well as him to score votes.

I see this argument all the time and I strongly disagree with it. All awards are midfielders awards. More so that ever because the way the game is played now is so midfield dominated. The big KPPs have less influence as do the rucks compared to say pre 200 and its got even more marked in the last 10 years.

Of the big 3 awards the Brownlow and the coaches award are the most objective and fairest. The Players award is subjective and has a bit more of a popularity element to it. Emphasised this year perhaps by Dangefield finish 2nd in the CA and Brownlow but not being considered in the players award voting. MY theory on that is maybe Danger is the dick he appears to be and the Geelong players snubbed him.

The coaches award and Brownlow correlate very strongly each year and does the PA award. This year was no exception with the Brownlow and CA having 8 of the top 10 in common. The two differences in the top 10 was the Brownlow had Dusty and Zorko while the PA had Shuey and Dunkley.

If you look at the top 8 in each award there was only one difference between the groups. Dusty Brownlow and Shuey coaches award. For 2 awards performed by different groups of people, umps v coaches and with different voting systems that a really strong level of agreement. If you look at this going back over the seasons its the same sort of correlation every year. The Brownlow should be no more criticised than the CA award

The PA award has anomalies but still largely agrees. In the top 5 I can find for the PA award there are 3 players in the top 5 in all three awards. Fyfe, Cripps and Kelly. Danger is 2nd in the Brownlow and CA and I reckon probably would have been voted into the top 5 in the PA award if the players had the opportunity to vote for him. May have even won it. Thats the flaw in the PA award for mine.

Well done Fyfe - not bad for pick 20, and Cripps who from memory was pick 13! Can only imagine how many flags we would have won with those 2 on our list.

Well done Fyfe - not bad for pick 20, and Cripps who from memory was pick 13! Can only imagine how many flags we would have won with those 2 on our list.
Probably none. We would still have found a way to f**k it up. It’s the Collingwood way.

Congratulations Natt Fyffe superstar player, great humble leader.

it's funny that you say that. the word around perth is that he has a bit of figjam about him. There's been a few comments from commentators around perth that he needed to work on his leadership. It might be that he's a bit "driven".

the winner at the brownlow in my humble opinion was samantha dobbs.... fine effort. maybe it's because she's temporarily a local freo girl, being the technical adviser for a pilates thingy just up the road from me. i love that pilates. It's done a wonderful job.

it's funny that you say that. the word around perth is that he has a bit of figjam about him. There's been a few comments from commentators around perth that he needed to work on his leadership. It might be that he's a bit "driven".

Or that they're a little jealous?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back