Bruce McAvaney retires from AFL commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Has been a great commentator but hasn't been his usual self for last couple of years imo due to age.

Now if we could just get rid of BT...

Someone like Jason Bennett would be great... someone who calls the game rather than worrying about his ego.

im suprised Jason Bennett isnt calling games, he is good on AFLW games and when he was calling on fox footy many years ago

Has been a great commentator but hasn't been his usual self for last couple of years imo due to age.

Someone like Jason Bennett would be great... someone who calls the game rather than worrying about his ego.
Hasn't Bruce been fighting a form of blood cancer for several years now?

Don't go on the main board. The lack of respect for Bruce on there is a disgrace.

Will be missed, only Sandy and Dennis rival him in the last 30 years.
Bruce has been the best all round commentator in Australia bar none.

His memory for stats is amazing, particularly in athletics.

Well deserved semi-retirement.

Last edited:

His memory for stays is amazing, particularly in athletics.

I would argue Richie is at least equal with him.

No better all-round commentator in the country though. Or the world for that matter. Bob Costas may give him a run.

Not sure about the timing though. Hope it was his decision. Deserved to go out on his own terms.

His memory for stays is amazing, particularly in athletics.

getting it ready for a shot at the Olympics

best commentator in Australia

No better all-round commentator in the country though. Or the world for that matter. Bob Costas may give him a run.

Not sure about the timing though. Hope it was his decision. Deserved to go out on his own terms.
Agree Richie is the doyen for cricket & sorely missed... but Bruce's ability to cover nearly every sport has been amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta say that bumble for cricket is absolutely top shelf

His memory for stats is amazing, particularly in athletics.

Puts way, way more research and work in behind the scenes and is incredibly knowledgeable.

On the downside his overt love for particular players is cringeworthy.

Far, far more professional than anyone who will replace him.

McAvaney was one of the best guys in the industry.
When a new guy would be added to the commentary team, typically an ex player, he would come up to them prior to the game and give them a heap of stats and information on the player's so they would be able to add things during the commentary.

I think thats a fair comment, at his prime I enjoyed his commentary and one of the best IMO, probably as he aged he lost that edge.

BT is just keeping the chair warm for Patty, its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

If you dislike BT, Patty will take you to a level of disliked you will probably never have experienced.

My comment has nothing to do with him returning home either, I would have felt exactly the same if he stayed with us. He was very cringeworthy at the Crows when being interviewed.

Simply the best.

To be honest he's so far above our current crop of commentators it isn't funny.

That's as much an indictment on the standard of the current crop as it is a tribute to the greats in Bruce, Dennis, etc.

I'm not sure if there's a genuine lack of good options available at the moment or, more likely, the broadcasters are more focused on hiring "personalities" rather than good commentators.

That's as much an indictment on the standard of the current crop as it is a tribute to the greats in Bruce, Dennis, etc.

I'm not sure if there's a genuine lack of good options available at the moment or, more likely, the broadcasters are more focused on hiring "personalities" rather than good commentators.
They see to think they need to hire ex-players with a name. Even if those players can barely string a sentence together. It's awful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back