Bruce McAvaney retires from AFL commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

The best in the business.
Bruce, Dennis, Sandy and Drew the commentary soundtrack for myself and many others growing up in the 90’s with AFL, go well at the Olympics and Melbourne Cup legend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He's a ripper, but I think commentating with the new breed has harmed his rep a touch. They're all about themselves, and he tries to join in and it's a bit cringey

Still, he's the best all round sports commentators we've had in my time and the stories you hear from young journos about how he helps them come into the system shows you just how good of a bloke he is.

His health is actually not too bad I'm led to believe, everything's sort of stable.

Bruce has a had a great career but it was definitely time they moved him on. James Brayshaw is one of the best in the business who is replacing him. Now all the need to do us get rid of BT who is unlistenable. Darcy would be a better option who works well with Brayshaw.

Last edited:
Great career and in his day was second to none. His preparation and knowledge leaves the current crop for dead. Will always have a soft spot for him as he is the soundtrack of our Grand Final wins.

Unfortunately became a parody of himself in later years and bordered on unlistenable at times with his weird gushing over certain players and over reliance on the same phrases (off a step) or rhetorical questions.

Agree Richie is the doyen for cricket & sorely missed... but Bruce's ability to cover nearly every sport has been amazing.
Really enjoyed his Olympic coverage.

Arguably the greatest moment in Australian Track and Field.

Sad to see Bruce go loved his love of the game and sport in general.

For those calling for BT's axing at least he offers a slight bit of humour and commentates ok - whereas Dwwwwwaayne Russell is just an outright richard particularly when calling our games.

Sad to see Bruce go loved his love of the game and sport in general.

For those calling for BT's axing at least he offers a slight bit of humour and commentates ok - whereas Dwwwwwaayne Russell is just an outright richard particularly when calling our games.
Does Dwayne have it in his contract he has to do every Port game? It’s unbearable.

Even though he got a bit creepy towards the end, he was still the best commentator. Called the game properly, was astutely observant and knew players and stats very well. This is the exact formula for a good commentator, which has sadly disappeared in favour of ******* idiots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has been a great commentator but hasn't been his usual self for last couple of years imo due to age.

Now if we could just get rid of BT...

Someone like Jason Bennett would be great... someone who calls the game rather than worrying about his ego.

I wonder if having to put up with BT affected his calling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back